Author Topic: How to Control the IRS  (Read 260 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
How to Control the IRS
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:16:57 AM »

Support the USO

Offline Relic

Re: How to Control the IRS
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:25:14 AM »
Never happen. Both parties realize what a wonderful tool the IRS is against the people.

I am a person of average intelligence. I use tax software to help me file my taxes, which are not complicated at all. Yet every year, I have a feeling of doom, a feeling that they will find something and torment me endlessly. And it's not an unfounded fear.

That is exactly what the political elite wants.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:30:36 PM »
I usually do my taxes on the afternoon of the 15th.  That is because if I start early, the process extends several days. This year I went all out and started yesterday at 9:30 AM. That is because I am moving all my stuff.  Finished the taxes at noon.  Hopefully, I will complete moving my stuff this weekend.  A very short move.

I typically plan my taxes so that on tax day, I get a small refund.  This year I screwed up, and should receive a small check.  I do it at the end, to save my time.  And have been doing it this way for the last 25 or so years.  When my taxes were more, complex, I started say on the 13th or 14th.

This morning, slept in, put stamps on the envelopes, went out for breakfast, read a bit while I ate an omelette.  Then I dropped the envelopes at the Post Office.

An Old Idea of Mine
I always thought, you could get a good bit of coverage, if you camped out at the Post Office with a card table and chair and did all the calculations by hand.  A small battery for a desk light, pencils, sharpeners.  Do it the old fashioned way.  Lots of people would see you, probabally get local and even national coverage if the news cycle was slow.  And there is an advantage of a short walk to actually mail them.  But ...  Never did it.

Al

All the best,
Al

Disclosure:
I am 3% Neanderthal and 97% Conservative.

Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France

Richard Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics

Roger Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind

Karl Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »
I usually do my taxes on the afternoon of the 15th.  That is because if I start early, the process extends several days. This year I went all out and started yesterday at 9:30 AM. That is because I am moving all my stuff.  Finished the taxes at noon.  Hopefully, I will complete moving my stuff this weekend.  A very short move.

I typically plan my taxes so that on tax day, I get a small refund.  This year I screwed up, and should receive a small check.  I do it at the end, to save my time.  And have been doing it this way for the last 25 or so years.  When my taxes were more, complex, I started say on the 13th or 14th.

This morning, slept in, put stamps on the envelopes, went out for breakfast, read a bit while I ate an omelette.  Then I dropped the envelopes at the Post Office.

An Old Idea of Mine
I always thought, you could get a good bit of coverage, if you camped out at the Post Office with a card table and chair and did all the calculations by hand.  A small battery for a desk light, pencils, sharpeners.  Do it the old fashioned way.  Lots of people would see you, probabally get local and even national coverage if the news cycle was slow.  And there is an advantage of a short walk to actually mail them.  But ...  Never did it.

Al

glad to see that someone else likes to push the deadline 'til it squeaks

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »

glad to see that someone else likes to push the deadline 'til it squeaks

I have been doing it this way a long time.  About 10 years ago I created a spreadsheet  to help.  A few numbers change each year and it's easy to pass numbers from federal to state so that old work pays me back each year.

I did have two delays. One in that I filled out a 2012 State form. Duh it is 2013. I down load the fill in the blanks forms. The second was locating the mailing addresses, both federal and state.  Brain fart of sorts. I did copy the addresses onto my spread sheet for next year. Two addresses, for each.

Al

All the best,
Al

Disclosure:
I am 3% Neanderthal and 97% Conservative.

Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France

Richard Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics

Roger Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind

Karl Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:03 PM »
Loki asks (regarding taxes):
[[ How many of us have waited to the very last minute? ]]

Not me. I sent my taxes in at the end of January, not long after I received all my documentation. I want them done and out of the way, and I want the [modest] refund. (Aside: the first year of my retirement I didn't have enough withheld, and ended up paying instead. I got that corrected.)

I find that being retired, and even without any "income" other than "the pension", my taxes are actually MORE DIFFICULT to do now, then when I was working. Something called "Tier 1", (some of which is taxable, some not), and "Tier 2" (again, some of which is taxable, some not). Finding out HOW MUCH is taxable is the tough part -- requires doing several worksheets, etc. I have a modest dividend income, so have to do a Schedule D as well to compute the tax.

I do my taxes using my own self-created worksheets on the computer.
Then, I check them against a return "dummied up" using TurboTax. I don't file electronically or print the forms in TTax -- I use it only to check my calculations.
Then I handwrite everything out on paper, and send it in.

Having said that, I really don't expect to see the IRS brought under control in my lifetime. If anything, it's going to get worse, possibly MUCH worse.

There is probably next-to-no chance that ANY Republican president will ever be elected with the nerve and the political support of other Republicans to "control" the IRS - or any other of the government agencies that are running wild against Americans.

I would like to be proven wrong, but I'm a realist.

Aside:
I also help my sister with her taxes (that is to say, I fill them out and she signs them). She works at a low-paying part time job. For three years, she overpaid because I'd never heard of form 8880, which gives lower-income earners a credit for funds contributed to a retirement account (401k which she must participate in at work). So... I had to go back and file -corrected- returns for her, for three years' running. THAT was a job. But I got all her money back, every cent !!

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 06:03:31 AM »
Fair Tax, the only way to go. The way to control the IRS is to get rid of it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf