Author Topic: Social Security Suspends Program To Collect Old Debts  (Read 272 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Social Security Suspends Program To Collect Old Debts
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »

Support the USO

Online musiclady

Re: Social Security Suspends Program To Collect Old Debts
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:39:41 AM »
Possibly because it's not legal, and they were trying to get away with it until somebody noticed what they were doing?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »
Possibly because it's not legal, and they were trying to get away with it until somebody noticed what they were doing?

No, it's perfectly legal and, with respect to tax refunds, has always been legal, regardless of how old the debt was.  Prior to 2008, only tax refunds could be used to offset debts that were more than 10 years old; the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008 changed that, allowing all overpayments held by a federal agency to be used to offset a debt owed to the government no matter how old the debt is.

As a matter of administrative discretion and fairness, the Treasury had limited the use of tax refunds to offset other debts to debts that were less than 10 years old.  But with the change in the debt collection law in 2008 the Treasury changed its rules so that tax refunds can now be used to offset any debt no matter how old - i.e., in conformity with pre-existing federal law.

The problem here isn't that it's illegal, but that it violates fundamental principles of equity and fairness.  it's an(other) example of the old saying that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.

Online musiclady

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
No, it's perfectly legal and, with respect to tax refunds, has always been legal, regardless of how old the debt was.  Prior to 2008, only tax refunds could be used to offset debts that were more than 10 years old; the Food, Conservation and Energy Act of 2008 changed that, allowing all overpayments held by a federal agency to be used to offset a debt owed to the government no matter how old the debt is.

As a matter of administrative discretion and fairness, the Treasury had limited the use of tax refunds to offset other debts to debts that were less than 10 years old.  But with the change in the debt collection law in 2008 the Treasury changed its rules so that tax refunds can now be used to offset any debt no matter how old - i.e., in conformity with pre-existing federal law.

The problem here isn't that it's illegal, but that it violates fundamental principles of equity and fairness.  it's an(other) example of the old saying that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.

Wait a minute.........

It has always been legal to take money from an innocent family member for a debt incurred by someone else??

Help me out here.  I'm not a legal expert, but is it really legal for the US Gov't to take money from me for something my great uncle may have done??

I'm not talking about a debt I have incurred, but the taking of money from me that someone else owes.....
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:14:43 PM by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf