Author Topic: AC/DC to split  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
AC/DC to split
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:35:42 am »
AC/DC may be announcing their retirement as soon as Tuesday, according to media reports. The famous rock band, which formed in 1973, is one of the most popular and highest-grossing bands of all time.

Entertainment commentator Peter Ford told radio station 3AW on Tuesday morning that after last year's talk of a tour, nothing has been announced since.

"The suggestion is being put to me that tour will never happen and we will never see AC/DC perform again or record again," he said.

The rumour mill soon added that this was due to a terminal illness.

The claims were originally made in an email to Perth radio station 6PR by a person identifying himself as ''Thunderstruck''.

''My information is that Malcolm Young has moved himself and his family back to Australia, he's very very ill and that AC/DC may well be history,'' Thunderstruck told 6PR on Tuesday morning.

The email sent on Monday and read out on 6PR said: ''I have extremely good contacts in Europe that are very close to AC/DC. I have it on very good authority that one of the band members is quite ill and has returned to Australia with his family.

''AC/DC members have previously made a pact that no band members will be replaced should someone need to leave the band.

''No more is currently being said, however the particularly ill member of AC/DC's son has stated that AC/DC may well be over.''

Reports that the band has a booking at a Vancouver studio for May 1 both contradict and yet leave open the possible truth of the rumours.

The booking may suggest a new album is on the cards but it's also possible that circumstances have changed since the studio booking.

Albert Music, headquarters for AC/DC in Australia since 1973, has virtually shut down to media enquiries. No one is taking calls or answering emails, let alone talking. This may be a sign they are as blindsided by the rumour as anyone else, or are trying to confer with the band and overseas management.

Or it could be they were caught short before the official announcement and are working out a new media strategy.

AC/DC was formed in 1973 by brothers Angus Young, now 59, and his brother Malcolm, who migrated from Scotland to Sydney when they were children.

For more than three decades the band has consistently performed at sold-out concerts across the globe. One of the group's best-loved works is their influential Back In Black album, which has sold more than 22 million copies in the US.

The Aussie rock band has sold more than 200 million albums, with the Young brothers estimated to be worth $255 million.

In 2013, the band was No. 13 on BRW’s Rich List, earning $5.8 million that year from royalty payments of their bestselling albums and DVDs.

In 2012, their entire back catalogue became available on iTunes.

Last month, Rolling Stone reported that Billy Joel invited AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson to the stage at Madison Square Garden show, where he belted out You Shook Me All Night Long to a roaring crowd.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/acdc-to-split-report-20140415-36oc1.html#ixzz2yv0eTQz9

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: AC/DC to split
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:39:07 am »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:40:37 am »
heard that song in places that you guys cannot dream of.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:43:10 am »
heard that song in places that you guys cannot dream of.

...did it involve eating rice and a little rat meat..??

:smokin:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:43:10 am »
Nooooooo.  I hate to hear this - I love AC/DC.  Prayers for Malcolm Young!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:45:05 am »
Nooooooo.  I hate to hear this - I love AC/DC.  Prayers for Malcolm Young!

A couple of years ago, an attorney friend of ours gave us tickets to the firm's box seats at the Rose Garden in Portland, the last time AC/DC was in town.  Still one of the greatest show bands ever.....

:beer:

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:58:55 am »
...did it involve eating rice and a little rat meat..??

:smokin:

With much respect, no. It meant riding 80ft swells in the Bass straights on my way to Tasmania. Or it could mean, went I was drugged and abused by a barmaid in P.I. or it could mean when...I saw what I saw what I saw that never happened. I was not even there to see it not happen.

well, nevermind. It is a good tune. Put this this together with some 'Disturbed' and you have a real battle music situation.

If you want to know what it is like to ride in a humvee, locked and loaded, and ready. I cannot describe it to you. I can only tell you what was playing.

And this was number one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LTT0xwdfw

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:08:37 am »
A couple of years ago, an attorney friend of ours gave us tickets to the firm's box seats at the Rose Garden in Portland, the last time AC/DC was in town.  Still one of the greatest show bands ever.....

Would loved to have seen that!   

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

SPQR

AC/DC Facts
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 03:28:14 am »
FACTS AND INFORMATION about the band's achievements in the music business, album sales, special honors, and chart positions through their career.

•AC/DC are the #1 Selling Hard Rock(and Heavy Metal included) band in the WORLD. Selling now well over 220 million albums worldwide- more than Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Who, Kiss, Metallica and The Rolling Stones.  In the U.S.A. alone, AC/DC have surpassed 71 million albums sales to date, placing them as the 10th best selling band or musical act of ALL TIME, right along the ranks of Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Garth Brooks, Michael Jackson, The Eagles, & Led Zeppelin in the United States for albums sold. 
•"BACK IN BLACK"- on a WORLDWIDE basis, is the #1 selling Hard Rock/Heavy Metal album of all time, topping over 49 million  copies worldwide. It falls only to the SECOND BEST SELLING ALBUM EVER RECORDED, after Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album which remains at #1 at an estimated 57 Million copies worldwide. "BACK IN BLACK" is the best selling ROCK album or album by any BAND in the world. Jackson's "Thriller" tops it, but is the best selling album by a single artist, not band (and certainly is not rock!)
•"Back In Black" has sold over 22 million copies in the USA alone, the DOUBLE DIAMOND seller is now the FOURTH Best selling album in the USA of ALL TIME, following sales of Michael Jacksons "Thriller" album, The Eagles "Greatest Hits" album, and Led Zeppelins "IV" album.
•"FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK WE SALUTE YOU" was the very first Hard Rock/Heavy Metal style Album to EVER reach the #1 Position on the Billboard charts in the U.S.- in 1981. Thus, opening the doors for other bands for YEARS to come..This is also a genuine FACT as stated by Billboard magazine...no other hard rock or metal genre album had been #1 on the billboard charts before this. The album sold an amazing ONE MILLION COPIES in the first week of its release!

"BACK IN BLACK" was AC/DC's first album to reach #1 on the U.K. Music charts, which happened on August 9th, 1980 where it would remain for 2 weeks straight.  "BLACE ICE" would be the bands second album to reach #1 in the United States Billboard charts, selling an amazing 1,762,000 copies in the FIRST WEEK of its release alone!! The album also went to #1 in 29 different countries around the world, making it the decades BIGGEST ALBUM release by any artist by far!

• "HIGHWAY TO HELL" reached the top 10 in the UK and #17 on the American Billboard charts soon after its release.
•AC/DC were one of the first bands to receive the new R.I.A.A. "DIAMOND AWARD" in March of 1999 for album sales of a single title of over 10 Million copies- for "BACK IN BLACK". (Now DOUBLE DIAMOND at 21 million copies sold!)
•AC/DC Have Headlined Donningtons MONSTERS OF ROCK festival in the U.K. 3 times- in 1981, 1984, and 1991- always the Headliner, with such bands as: Whitesnake, Blackfoot, Slade, and More in '81, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne in '84, and Metallica, Motley Crue, Queensryche, and the Black Crowes in '91- all opening acts for AC/DC at this Fest. In '91 they also went on a small festival tour with this same lineup: ROC AROUND THE BLOC. 
•In 1992, AC/DC also headlined a similar festival in MOSCOW, Russia, with opening acts: Metallica, The Black Crowes, And Pantera; performing for over 500, 000 people. Many people that attended claim AC/DC Stole the show.
• AC/DC Have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003, a LONG LONG OVERDUE recognition that the band has deserved without question.
•AC/DC's "Back In Black" received a PLATINUM award for a Ringtone of the song. This was one of the first songs to receive this new RIAA award, which is given to songs that reached 1 million downloads.
• The street formerly known as "Corporation Lane" in Melbourne was renamed "ACDC Lane" on October 1st, 2004 in honor of the band. AC/DC's famous "It's A Long Way To The Top" video was filmed on "Swanston Street", which is not far from the new "ACDC Lane". A fan customized the sign by designing a metal lightning flash and attaching it to the top and bottom portion of the sign to finish it off properly.
In May 2003, Malcolm Young accepted the Ted Albert Award for Outstanding Service to Australian Music and paid special tribute to Bon Scott.
•AC/DC's highest charting singles on the US Billboard charts would be "Money Talks" (at #23, their highest charting single to date), "You Shook Me All Night Long" (#35), and "Back In Black" (#37). The band otherwise did not have any USA singles to pass into the top 40.
•In February, 2008, a life-sized bronze statue of Bon Scott was unveiled in Perth, Australia where it now stands to further immortalize Bon's memory in Fremantle..
•January 2010- AC/DC are awarded their first GRAMMY award of their career in the "BEST HARD ROCK PERFORMANCE" category for the song "War Machine". They were also nominated for BEST ROCK ALBUM of the year with "BLACK ICE".
•AC/DC set Australian record in 2010 for the biggest outdoor band in Australia, selling 212,729 tickets for their three concerts at Sydney's ANZ stadium, surpassing the previous record held by U2 of 211,747 for their Vertigo tour in 2006.
•AC/DC's BLACK ICE tour is destined to be one of the largest grossing (and attendance) tours in music history. Since 2008, and not including any of the 2010 tallies, the BLACK ICE tour has grossed an estimated $220+ million and counting.

http://www.acdccollector.com/faq.htm

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:31:38 am »
Better than having them slowly fade into caricatures of themselves, replaying and replaying their golden-oldies.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:51:18 am »
Better than having them slowly fade into caricatures of themselves, replaying and replaying their golden-oldies.
It's an amazing feat that, at this point in their careers, they haven't yet reached that point. Other than the Stones, you really can't find a lot of bands with that kind of staying power.

That being said, the band survived losing Bon Scott. If Angus REALLY wanted to continue, he could.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:53:58 am »
It's an amazing feat that, at this point in their careers, they haven't yet reached that point. Other than the Stones, you really can't find a lot of bands with that kind of staying power.

That being said, the band survived losing Bon Scott. If Angus REALLY wanted to continue, he could.

I wonder how AC/DC would look on stage in their 70s, like the stones.

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 04:37:54 pm »
Have always liked them

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 05:42:52 pm »
Skipper I fish with in Alaska swears by "Hell's Bells" as an atteractant to bring big halibut to the boat. Damned if it doesn't seem to work. And just when I think he yankin' my chain, I read a magazine piece about some Aussie uses the same song to pull in Great Whites.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline flowers

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 05:49:00 pm »
RIP AC/DC: 1973 - 2014

http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.ca/2014/04/rip-acdc-1973-2014.html

AC/DC are ending their 41 year career on a terribly sad note.

Plans were underway for a new studio album, their first since 2008's monumental Black Ice, and a '40th Anniversary' world tour, 40 huge shows across the globe.

About 3 weeks ago, founding member, rhythm guitarist, co-producer and co-songwriter Malcolm Young had a stroke, which left a blood clot on his brain.

When AC/DC reunited at the start of April to begin a month of rehearsals, in the lead-up to new album recording sessions, Malcolm discovered he couldn't play. At least, he couldn't play like he used to play.

Nothing has been officially confirmed, as of this writing, but friends and family members have been discussing what happened to Malcolm for the past couple of weeks. The blood clot, resulting from the stroke, is believed to be why Malcolm couldn't keep working.

Although friends have described Malcolm's condition as serious, it doesn't mean he won't recover. People do get better after strokes, and people do recover lost skills.

But friends and family of band members believe the decision was made last week to call it quits.

Media in Australia have gone ballistic today on rumours of The End Of AC/DC, and it appears the news got out ahead of a planned official announcement from the band and management.

Right now, that announcement is expected Tuesday, April 16, and a press conference has been scheduled.

AC/DC won't continue playing and recording without Malcolm. It can't be done.

While Angus Young is the more famous, and more recognisable, AC/DC is most definitely Malcolm Young's band, he started AC/DC, under the guidance of big brother George Young (ex-Easybeats, and co-producer) and encouraged his younger brother Angus to join him, and take on the world.

Malcolm Young has been the quiet motivator and boss of the band for four decades, co-writing nearly all of AC/DC's classics, and making sure nothing happened to harm or damage the band's reputation, or disappoint the fans who've stuck by them for decades.

His passion for the band and its music, and integrity, were so intense, back in the 1970s he used to have fistfights with his younger brother, Angus, in the studio, when disagreements about a sound or riff couldn't be resolved. Proper punch-ups, teeth were lost, blood was drawn.

So that's it. AC/DC are coming to an end.

But what a career. AC/DC set out to conquer the world, and they did it, multiple times. Even the death of singer Bon Scott barely slowed them down, and only slightly delayed recording sessions for Back In Black.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 05:55:48 pm »
 **nononono* **nononono* **nononono*

I were always more of an Iron Maiden fan, but damn, hate to read this.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 06:59:50 pm »

And Angus is only 59 years old........

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 07:07:56 pm »

No. He's wickedly talented, but he's no Dio. You don't survive losing your heart, and that is what Malcolm Young was for AC DC. Angus gets that.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:53 pm »
I claim ignorance here. I wouldn't recognize an AC/DC song without metadata. They were never on my radar. By '73 I began experimenting with classical and jazz. That journey took me a long way.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 07:26:17 pm »
Are there going to now be two bands, AC and DC?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline flowers

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 02:02:25 pm »
No. He's wickedly talented, but he's no Dio. You don't survive losing your heart, and that is what Malcolm Young was for AC DC. Angus gets that.
lol  you know who Dio is!!!???

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »
I claim ignorance here. I wouldn't recognize an AC/DC song without metadata. They were never on my radar. By '73 I began experimenting with classical and jazz. That journey took me a long way.
Only the most powerful rock band to come out of Australia.

They really had two eras of greatness: their earliest days in the mid-to-late 1970s, when they were a blues band with punk overtones, were when the late Bon Scott was on lead vocals. Some of their songs:
* "TNT"
* "High Voltage"
* "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
* "Highway to Hell"
* "The Jack"
* "Whole Lotta Rosie"
* And my personal favorite... "Big Balls"

Shortly after Bon's death in 1980, they hired Brian Johnson. Under Johnson and his screechy lead vocals, they became the epitome of the stadium-rock genre. Their best hits came in the early-to-mid-1980s. Some of the better known ones:
* "You Shook Me All Night Long"
* "Hells Bells"
* "Thunderstruck"
* "Back in Black"

They've had some other successes in the 1990s and 2000s (their album Black Ice was a pretty huge hit).

If you're into classical and jazz, it's probably not your cup of tea.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:13:34 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 02:42:47 pm »

The idea might meet with some resistance, but it wouldn't be shocking.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
AC/DC: We are not retiring
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 02:44:23 pm »
Update:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10769783/ACDC-We-are-not-retiring.html

AC/DC: We are not retiring by Jake Wallis Simons

Brian Johnson, the flamboyant frontman of the rock band AC/DC, has debunked rumours that the band are about to split up following concerns for the health of one of the members. Instead, he revealed that the band are still planning to get together and write material for a prospective new album.

"We are definitely getting together in May in Vancouver," he told the Telegraph. "We're going to pick up some guitars, have a plonk, and see if anybody has got any tunes or ideas. If anything happens, we'll record it."

He confirmed that one member of the band – thought to be rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young, the older brother of school-uniform-wearing lead guitarist Angus Young – has been suffering from ill health, but denied that this meant the end of the road for the band.

"I wouldn't like to say anything either way about the future," he said. "I'm not ruling anything out. One of the boys has a debilitating illness, but I don't want to say too much about it. He is very proud and private, a wonderful chap. We've been pals for 35 years and I look up to him very much."

(excerpt)

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06:42 pm »

Yeah, but they're gonna call one band 'Edison' and the other one 'Tesla'.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee