Author Topic: Pentagon says Russian jet buzzed U.S. warship  (Read 892 times)

SPQR

Pentagon says Russian jet buzzed U.S. warship
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:41:19 am »

Jim Michaels and Tom Vanden Brook, USA TODAY

The Pentagon said a Russian aircraft made about a dozen low level flights near a U.S. Navy warship in the Black Sea, calling the actions "provocative."

The USS Donald Cook, a guided missile destroyer, was conducting routine operations in the western Black Sea on Saturday when the Russian attack aircraft flew near the ship and did not respond to multiple warnings from the American warship.

The incident comes amid heightened tensions between the United States and Russia over Russia's actions in Ukraine.

The Russian Su-24 flew close by but not directly over the American ship, the Pentagon said.

The incident took 90 minutes during which the Americans repeatedly queried the Russians but received no response.

The Pentagon said in a statement Monday that the Russian aircraft was unarmed and never posed a threat to the American warship, but the actions were "unprofessional" and "provocative."

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Monday that President Obama expects to speak "soon" with Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin by phone, "perhaps today."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/14/pentagon-russians-black-sea/7700777/

Oceander

Re: Pentagon says Russian jet buzzed U.S. warship
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:18:16 pm »
Is the Black Sea international or territorial water?

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:45:00 am »
Is the Black Sea international or territorial water?

I believe the incident was international waters. It happens all the time.
During the cold war, these sorts of flybys “happened all the time,” says Christopher Harmer, a retired Navy officer who served as deputy director of future operations for the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Security-Watch/2014/0415/Russian-aircraft-buzz-US-Navy-destroyer-How-big-a-deal
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:47:56 am by SPQR »

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:05:07 pm »
Each time my ship deployed to S.E. Asia in the 70s, the Russians sent a TU-95 bear to take recon photos of the ship (an aircraft carrier) to see what modifications had been made.  The second time we had a new C.O. and he requested 1,000 people to come to the flight deck and give the bear the "international peace sign" as it flew by.  So the pilot got a nice picture of being flipped off by a thousand sailors.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:54:41 pm »
If VP Cheney were there, he would have taken a shot.  If I were there, I would have bought him a shot.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:50 am »
Each time my ship deployed to S.E. Asia in the 70s, the Russians sent a TU-95 bear to take recon photos of the ship (an aircraft carrier) to see what modifications had been made.  The second time we had a new C.O. and he requested 1,000 people to come to the flight deck and give the bear the "international peace sign" as it flew by.  So the pilot got a nice picture of being flipped off by a thousand sailors.

Yes. They would also use Russian Trawlers

http://defensetech.org/2012/03/09/cold-war-tech-soviet-torpedo-trawlers/

Torpedo Tubes on Russian Trawler
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:55:09 am by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:48:22 am »

Yes. They would also use Russian Trawlers

http://defensetech.org/2012/03/09/cold-war-tech-soviet-torpedo-trawlers/

Torpedo Tubes on Russian Trawler

Also with the torpedo tubes you also should see that SONAR dome. They would track a warship or submarine, plot the course and relay that information to Russian Naval headquarters in   Severomorsk, Vladivostok ,Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy depending where the ships are located . But I seriously doubt take on an entire warship but some other ship like a supply ship.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:07:48 am by SPQR »

rangerrebew

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 08:01:16 pm »
We went through a small fleet of "trawlers" off San Fransicko one time at about 40 knots.  What did that look like? :th_10444: :silly:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:04:45 pm »
I'm sure Obama's response is pretty much the same as the former SoS: what difference does it make? Russians know they can tweak our noses all they want. The girlyman in the White House won't even squeak an objection.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline olde north church

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 08:08:03 pm »
There was an episode of the "Munsters" where Herman got picked up in one of their nets or something like that.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.