Author Topic: Watch Kids Try to Figure Out a Walkman. Prepare to Feel Really, Really Old.  (Read 1820 times)

Offline happyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_vV-JRZ6E&feature=player_embedded

Remember the Walkman, the amazing portable music machine of the 80s and early 90s that everyone just had to have? Well, thanks to CDs, MP3s and smartphones, the only place you’re going to find one now is at a garage sale for $2.

Watch kids react to this ancient piece of technology as they see a Walkman for the first time and try to figure out what it does. It is quite hilarious (and a bit humbling)…

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/129372-watch-kids-try-figure-walkman-prepare-feel-really-really-old/

Offline NavyCanDo

My 12-year old seems so smart right now compared to these kids. He plays my old cassettes all the time on the tape player / recorder I gave him. He especially likes my old time radio shows that he often falls to sleep to.  In fact right now he is in his room playing Edgar Bergen Charlie McCarthy. And he can entertain himself for hours with a blank tape he can record his voice and other things on. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

SPQR

My 12-year old seems so smart right now compared to these kids. He plays my old cassettes all the time on the tape player / recorder I gave him. He especially likes my old time radio shows that he often falls to sleep to.  In fact right now he is in his room playing Edgar Bergen Charlie McCarthy. And he can entertain himself for hours with a blank tape he can record his voice and other things on.

Its amazing that Amazon and Best Buy still sells them

Offline NavyCanDo

Even funnier is the Kids React episode they did on Rotary Phones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuirEweZvM
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Even funnier is the Kids React episode they did on Rotary Phones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkuirEweZvM

When we had our antique shop, I would get a big kick out of the kids that would come in with their parents and when they would see an old rotary phone, they would ask, "What is that?"  When they heard it was a phone, they would always ask, "How do you dial it?"

We used to have a beautiful old floor model tube radio from the forties sitting up by the counter.  One day, a teen-aged girl came in and was looking at it - walking all around it, really studying it.  Finally she looked up at me and said, "What is that?"

It really does make you feel old.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline happyg

Funny!

SPQR

If you feel that you are getting old is using floppy discs. Get them near a magnet and kiss all of your data goodbye!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:16:22 am by SPQR »

Oceander

Just wait until you try to explain to them what a stick-shift is when they start taking driving lessons.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Just wait until you try to explain to them what a stick-shift is when they start taking driving lessons.

Gods, tell me about it. Had automatics for 5 years or so, went back to manual last November. Eldest grandson is old enough to start learning properly - he used to move the cars no problem - we are going to need a new gear box by next week at this rate.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Gods, tell me about it. Had automatics for 5 years or so, went back to manual last November. Eldest grandson is old enough to start learning properly - he used to move the cars no problem - we are going to need a new gear box by next week at this rate.

My two favorite parts:  starting off on a hill (going up; down is easy), and downshifting.

Offline Relic

My two favorite parts:  starting off on a hill (going up; down is easy), and downshifting.

I have a decent amount of experience with a manual. Downshifting isn't a big deal... starting on a hill when someone has crept up within inches of the back of your car... now that still rattles my nerves.

Oceander

I have a decent amount of experience with a manual. Downshifting isn't a big deal... starting on a hill when someone has crept up within inches of the back of your car... now that still rattles my nerves.

The "fun" part is teaching someone how to do them.  Once you learn how to do them properly they're not that difficult, although it is a little dodgy when you don't have a lot of room behind you on a hill.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

My daughter is 34 and she never had to deal with a stick shift until I gave her my old Rav4 last year.  She learned how to drive it and now, like me, she'll probably never drive an automatic again.  It's getting harder and harder to find manuals these days, but many manufacturers make 6-speeds that are great fun to drive.  Right now I'm driving a Mazda3 six speed with a 2.5 liter engine.  All I can say is ZOOM ZOOM.

Oceander

My daughter is 34 and she never had to deal with a stick shift until I gave her my old Rav4 last year.  She learned how to drive it and now, like me, she'll probably never drive an automatic again.  It's getting harder and harder to find manuals these days, but many manufacturers make 6-speeds that are great fun to drive.  Right now I'm driving a Mazda3 six speed with a 2.5 liter engine.  All I can say is ZOOM ZOOM.

if you can find 'em they're fun.  six speeds are fun too, so long as the individual gears aren't too short (i.e., have too short a range of rpms in which they can be used); otherwise you basically still have a 5 speed but with extra work required to get up to that 5th gear.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
if you can find 'em they're fun.  six speeds are fun too, so long as the individual gears aren't too short (i.e., have too short a range of rpms in which they can be used); otherwise you basically still have a 5 speed but with extra work required to get up to that 5th gear.

The six does take some getting used to.  I usually take corners in 3rd gear whereas I used to shift down to second.  I actually like the shorter ratios because I don't find myself between gears as much.  Fifth gear is a really nice cruising gear for two lane highways at 55 mph.  You can take it down as low as 45 without downshifting and you can accelerate to pass very easily in fifth.   Sixth gear is pretty much just an overdrive freeway gear.