Author Topic: First openly gay Episcopal Bishop delivers closing Easter prayer  (Read 681 times)

Offline happyg

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
Re: First openly gay Episcopal Bishop delivers closing Easter prayer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »
Who cares? People are free to select their own religion, or none at all.

The people I like the LEAST are those worried and yapping constantly about other's religions, as if they and they alone have all the answers.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:47:54 AM »
The people I like the LEAST are those worried and yapping constantly about other's religions, as if they and they alone have all the answers.
If you don't believe your "religion" is the truth, what good is it?

Obammy selected Robinson in order to thumb his nose at the hateful, bigoted, intolerant, racist homophobe Christians who actually believe what the Bible says is true, e.g., I Corinthians 6:9-10.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:37:41 PM »

Offline Dexter

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
If you don't believe your "religion" is the truth, what good is it?

Obammy selected Robinson in order to thumb his nose at the hateful, bigoted, intolerant, racist homophobe Christians who actually believe what the Bible says is true, e.g., I Corinthians 6:9-10.

Believing what you want to believe is one thing, but trying to tear down the belief systems of other people and claiming your own is superior is pretty arrogant.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »
Believing what you want to believe is one thing, but trying to tear down the belief systems of other people and claiming your own is superior is pretty arrogant.
Certain varieties of "Christians" just KNOW so many things with certainty (e.g. their FAITH), and would have the hand of government impose their beliefs on the rest of our society.

An example was Prohibition.

Certain varieties of muslims similarly know many things with certainty, and have empowered some governments, to impose those beliefs on the rest of societies.

An example is prohibition of alcohol.

To demonstrate their enlightenment, the muslims also punish the victims of rapes, by killing the females, to name a choice example.

Literal interpretations of the Bible or Koran are the basis of the conflicts, and using that as a basis for civil laws.

Offline happyg

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:18:30 AM »

So, you believe Obama actually chose the gay minister because of his purity of heart? You don't think he did it to thumb his nose at Christians? Obama doesn't do anything from the 'goodness' of his heart. He is 100% politics when he does things to aggravate one sector of society.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »
So, you believe Obama actually chose the gay minister because of his purity of heart? You don't think he did it to thumb his nose at Christians? Obama doesn't do anything from the 'goodness' of his heart. He is 100% politics when he does things to aggravate one sector of society.

I didn't say anything about Obama or his intentions. I said that trying to push your belief system down the throat of other people is arrogant. We should all be free to believe whatever we want about religion without having self-righteous fools from any belief system harass us.
-Socrates

Online truth_seeker

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
I didn't say anything about Obama or his intentions. I said that trying to push your belief system down the throat of other people is arrogant. We should all be free to believe whatever we want about religion without having self-righteous fools from any belief system harass us.
Not only arrogant but contrary to the Constitution, which precludes a state favored religion.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »
I haven't observed anything of the sort at this forum. Have you? Are you making specific accusations or just expressing a general opinion?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »
I haven't observed anything of the sort at this forum. Have you? Are you making specific accusations or just expressing a general opinion?

It wasn't directed at anybody here. People are very touchy about opinions and ideas that define them as people, so religious ideology can be a very touchy subject. I think people from all denominations are guilty of that sort of behavior. People just need to accept the fact that other people believe different things just as strongly as you believe what you believe, and often times you can never change their minds no matter how much you try.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:35:20 PM by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 07:28:35 AM »
Okay, thanks for the comment. I think the important - and probably difficult - thing is to discern when people really are open to hearing about one's  faith.  I agree with you that no one wants to get beaten over the head with someone else's beliefs, and I understand.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf