Author Topic: Rand Paul and Ted Cruz Take on Same-Sex Marriage in 2016 Preview  (Read 472 times)

Offline happyg

Most political pundits expect senators Rand Paul and Ted Cruz to be among the contenders for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016. A key issue they will face if they go down that road is same-sex marriage.

Speaking at the Freedom Summit in New Hampshire on Saturday, both Paul and Cruz laid out their positions on the controversial issue:

RAND PAUL: “I’m a social conservative. I’m a believer in traditional marriage. I believe that, you know, there is something important to life, and it comes from God.

But I’m also a believer that a lot of the way our country was founded was upon federalism.”

Paul argued that states should be allowed to experiment with their own definitions of marriage, and declared, “I think there’s an arrogance to having absolute litmus tests.”

Cruz’s comments were similar to those of Paul, at least in the respect that states – not the federal government – should make their own decisions on the issue:

“We have 50 states with different values, with different mores, and we would expect different states to adopt different laws. I don’t think the federal government should be trying to force the states to adopt gay marriage in all 50 states.

If the citizens of the state make that decision, they have the Constitutional authority to do that.”

Taking into consideration that support for same-sex marriage is up across the board to the point that a clear majority (59%) of Americans support it, Cruz and Paul obviously want to put the issue in the hands of the people. What more could voters ask for?

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/129423-rand-paul-ted-cruz-take-sex-marriage-2016-preview/