Author Topic: US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar  (Read 1161 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-navy-christens-huge-3-billion-destroyer-ship-uss-zumwalt-that-appears-as-a-fishing-boat-on-enemy-radar-9257304.html

The USS Zumwalt is described as a 'modern marvel'
Antonia Molloy Author Biography

Sunday 13 April 2014

The US Navy on Saturday christened the first of its newest class of destroyers – the more than $3 billion (£1.8 billion), 610-foot (186-metre)-long USS Zumwalt.

Named after the late Admiral Elmo “Bud” Zumwalt, the warship sports advanced technology and a stealthy shape designed to minimise its visibility on enemy radar and reduce the size of its crew.

Among the 15,000-tonne destroyer's cutting-edge features are a composite deckhouse with hidden radar and sensors and an angular shape that officials say will allow it to be confused for a small fishing boat on radars. It also has a wave-piercing hull designed to reduce the ship's wake.

It's the first US ship to use electric propulsion and produces enough power to one day support the futuristic electromagnetic rail gun, which will be tested at sea in 2016.

Rail guns fire a projectile at six or seven times the speed of sound – enough velocity to cause severe damage. The Navy sees them as replacing or supplementing old-school guns.

In the future, it could also be fitted with even more advanced weaponry. This summer, the US Navy plans to test the viability of a laser weapon device in the Persian Gulf. It will be used to shoot down aerial drones at ultra-low cost – it is thought one shot of laser will cost about $1.

It is also hoped the Zumwalt will, like its reformer namesake who spearheaded changes that helped shape the Navy by offering new opportunities to women and minorities, shepherd the fleet into a new era, officials said.

“This ship is a modern marvel, and it's going to take smart and creative and hardworking sailors like Bud Zumwalt to operate it,” Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus told the crowd of thousands at Bath Iron Works, where the ship has been under construction since 2009.

Mouzetta Zumwalt-Weathers and Ann Zumwalt, the former admiral's daughters, each christened the ship by smashing a bottle of champagne near its bow, followed by cheers and bursts of red, white and blue streamers. They were joined at the ceremony by Zumwalt's son, retired Marine Lt. Col. Jim Zumwalt, who recalled 55 years ago, as a young boy, attending the christening of the USS Dewey, which his father commanded.

The Zumwalt-class guided-missile destroyer DDG 1000 is floated out of dry dock at the General Dynamics Bath Iron Works shipyard Bud Zumwalt, who became the youngest chief of naval operations in 1970, promoted the first female and African-American officers to admirals and opened the door for women to become naval aviators and serve on warships.

“He strove for a Navy that was supportive, encouraging and compassionate toward all sailors, especially minorities and women,” his daughter Ann said.

“A Navy that not only fought wars but also fought discrimination in its ranks. He dreamt of a Navy that allowed its sailors a better quality of life.”

Inside, sailors will have more space to work and live because the Zumwalt will only require about half the crew of the current generation of destroyers. Meanwhile, fewer sailors will need to stand watch because of cameras and video monitors that show what's going on outside.

That will allow the Navy to “carry out its crucial mission at a time of budget constraints,” said US Senator Susan Collins of Maine.

The Zumwalt was originally supposed to be christened in October, but the ceremony was rescheduled because of the federal government shutdown. The ship is expected to be delivered to the Navy late this year and to enter service in 2016. It will be joined by two other destroyers in its class, which are also being built in Bath.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Ok, I don't know much about ships (or much of anything else, btw), but I've a question about the gee-whiz stuff:  what happens when a shell hits that glossed-over superstructure?  Is there sufficient armor there to resist, or will the shell penetrate and then, once it explodes, will the shrapnel simply ricochet off the insides since the little pieces won't have enough kinetic energy to punch their way back out?  How much damage can the propulsion system take and still keep the ship moving?  Lots of other questions, too.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It depends what they went with.

Some of the new armors are amazing (and highly classified) but they don't fragment. Usually a combination of kevlar, ceramic and titanium mesh under a metal surface. Much lighter than plate, and even shaped charges can't kick a scab off the inside to cause serious damage.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

Ok, but assuming something gets in - and it seems to me one should always operate from the premise that something will always, eventually, get in - what happens when it does?  The shrapnel I have in mind would be from the projectile/missile/etc itself as well as from parts of the ship itself (i.e., not the armoring) that get blown off by the detonation.  Sort of like why, supposedly, using a .22 LR round to execute someone by shooting them at the back of the skull - because the round has enough energy to penetrate the skull going in, but not enough to exit so it simply ricochets around inside the skull, liquifying the intervening contents.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The usual effects on heavy armor are to blast off a scab inside. You don't go for penetration, you go for a shock wave that knocks off something on the inside and sends it ricocheting around the area. The actual bang as it hits is disorienting as hell too, but that only kills if you are trying to fly at the time. The scab comes off jagged, is razor sharp, and moves at roughly the speed of whatever hit you. Worse still, it bounces. Instead of having to duck a single saw blade heading past you, you now have to duck on flying around the compartment multiple times.

The advantages of the new armor designs is there is no scab available.

MCTK
MCTK
MCTK
MCTK
MCTK

That is the sort of layout now. Metal, Ceramic, Titanium Mesh, Kevlar. All bonded together. It's light as hell, works well and you don't get scabs flying around. Not saying it is impenetrable - you shoot at me with the Iowa and connect, I am going down in flames - but it's surprisingly robust for anything up to 125 mm.

Offline aligncare

$3 billion just to get a ship design that looks like the Confederate Merrimack!

Offline PzLdr

Looks like the C.S.S Virginia ["Merrimack"]
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I like the symbolism of the shape.

She's not a club. She's a scalpel.