Author Topic: Study: Children exposed to violent video games retain agressive behavior, thoughts  (Read 613 times)

rangerrebew

Study: Children Exposed To Violent Video Games Retain Aggressive Behavior, Thoughts

April 13, 2014 1:33 PM

DETROIT (WWJ) – A recent study by researchers at Iowa State University suggests kids who play violent video games will have more aggressive behavior and keep aggressive thoughts regardless of age, gender or parental involvement.

Pediatrician Dr. Kim Guiliano at the Cleveland Clinic Children’s Medical Center says parents are still the first line of defense:

“It helps if parents talk to their children and explain fantasy versus reality but young brains don’t often grasp the difference in the concepts , but really removing these things from a child’s exposure is the best thing to do,” said Guiliano.

Another study noted that more than 90 percent of youths play video games, understanding the psychological mechanisms by which they can influence behaviors is important for parents and pediatricians and for designing interventions to enhance or mitigate the effects.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/04/13/children-exposed-to-violent-video-games-retain-aggressive-behavior-thoughts/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:45:00 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline happyg

I have never seen this with my children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews. I imagine those who have violent tendencies, have them before being involved in violent games. This is a, 'what comes first, the chicken or the egg' scenario.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

rangerrebew

I used to work with teenage murderers, rapists, conduct disorders, attachment disorders and all other kinds of angry, violent teens.  Almost without exception, they loved violent video games.  That's all I've got to say about that.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I was a kid at a time we all had fathers that served during WWII, we had war and cowboy programs on TVs and at the movies, our parents equipped us with toy guns.

I don't think it is the video game, or the guns. I think it is the people;  parents, grandparents, the kids, that no longer teach, learn, follow and enforce important aspects of a civil society.

I have absolutely no qualms about locking up a teenager, for ten years of hard labor with bread and water, for violence against others. Maybe his parents, too.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline happyg

I used to work with teenage murderers, rapists, conduct disorders, attachment disorders and all other kinds of angry, violent teens.  Almost without exception, they loved violent video games.  That's all I've got to say about that.

I worked with the same kinds of people, though all were over 18. They too, loved violent games, but most were predisposed to violence. The movies were just the kicker. So was anything else to do with violence. I had a neighbor kid who dressed in all black and wore a hood over his head. He would come outside with a machete and scare the heck out of the neighbor kids. The question is, or should be, why are so many kids were and are impressed with the macabre to begin with?

Offline NavyCanDo

I think parents know their own kids best are better at judging what they should be playing and how they are playing it – AND remembering you as a parent are in ultimate control. The only violent game my 12 year-old son has played was my Red Dead Redemption. What could be wrong with a western hero shooting outlaws and rescuing kidnapped pretty ladies from certain death?  I let him play it until I noticed he was shooting everyone in sight good or bad and getting a kick out of it. That’s when I put my parent hat on and said no more Red-Dead for him.  After a little “ahhhh dad” whining, he stopped asking, and is perfectly happy playing Minecraft. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

rangerrebew

I was a kid at a time we all had fathers that served during WWII, we had war and cowboy programs on TVs and at the movies, our parents equipped us with toy guns.

I don't think it is the video game, or the guns. I think it is the people;  parents, grandparents, the kids, that no longer teach, learn, follow and enforce important aspects of a civil society.

I have absolutely no qualms about locking up a teenager, for ten years of hard labor with bread and water, for violence against others. Maybe his parents, too.

I think the big difference is when we were growing up the movies weren't all together that realistic, plus the good guys always won.  How much blood was spattering when someone was shot?  None.  Roy Rogers, or Gene Autry spilling blood?  Never!  You could watch the A Team and see a thousand bullets flying but not one hint of blood.  Much of the real violence was by innuendo where today they can see heads flying. arms being blown off, etc.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I think the big difference is when we were growing up the movies weren't all together that realistic, plus the good guys always won.  How much blood was spattering when someone was shot?  None.  Roy Rogers, or Gene Autry spilling blood?  Never!  You could watch the A Team and see a thousand bullets flying but not one hint of blood.  Much of the real violence was by innuendo where today they can see heads flying. arms being blown off, etc.

Been training some new people. We do use video games - it'd be foolish not to. CoD, for example, is a brilliant simulator. You got spotty communications, need to clear an area, and preferably without taking out your own in the process.

Never seen a single one that didn't puke after the first real op. Most of them do it during. The wash out rate is something around 80%

Most people are gentle. That is high praise.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink