Author Topic: US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar  (Read 646 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Ok, I don't know much about ships (or much of anything else, btw), but I've a question about the gee-whiz stuff:  what happens when a shell hits that glossed-over superstructure?  Is there sufficient armor there to resist, or will the shell penetrate and then, once it explodes, will the shrapnel simply ricochet off the insides since the little pieces won't have enough kinetic energy to punch their way back out?  How much damage can the propulsion system take and still keep the ship moving?  Lots of other questions, too.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It depends what they went with.

Some of the new armors are amazing (and highly classified) but they don't fragment. Usually a combination of kevlar, ceramic and titanium mesh under a metal surface. Much lighter than plate, and even shaped charges can't kick a scab off the inside to cause serious damage.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Ok, but assuming something gets in - and it seems to me one should always operate from the premise that something will always, eventually, get in - what happens when it does?  The shrapnel I have in mind would be from the projectile/missile/etc itself as well as from parts of the ship itself (i.e., not the armoring) that get blown off by the detonation.  Sort of like why, supposedly, using a .22 LR round to execute someone by shooting them at the back of the skull - because the round has enough energy to penetrate the skull going in, but not enough to exit so it simply ricochets around inside the skull, liquifying the intervening contents.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The usual effects on heavy armor are to blast off a scab inside. You don't go for penetration, you go for a shock wave that knocks off something on the inside and sends it ricocheting around the area. The actual bang as it hits is disorienting as hell too, but that only kills if you are trying to fly at the time. The scab comes off jagged, is razor sharp, and moves at roughly the speed of whatever hit you. Worse still, it bounces. Instead of having to duck a single saw blade heading past you, you now have to duck on flying around the compartment multiple times.

The advantages of the new armor designs is there is no scab available.

MCTK
MCTK
MCTK
MCTK
MCTK

That is the sort of layout now. Metal, Ceramic, Titanium Mesh, Kevlar. All bonded together. It's light as hell, works well and you don't get scabs flying around. Not saying it is impenetrable - you shoot at me with the Iowa and connect, I am going down in flames - but it's surprisingly robust for anything up to 125 mm.

Online aligncare

$3 billion just to get a ship design that looks like the Confederate Merrimack!
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Offline PzLdr

Looks like the C.S.S Virginia ["Merrimack"]
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I like the symbolism of the shape.

She's not a club. She's a scalpel.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf