• Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:10:58 AM »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »
That bit comes up every single time this story gets aired, and really bugs the shit out of me.

Ton of vets here and wives/mothers of vets, and I am betting at least half have no idea where the various bits of ribbon and tin they earned are. Sure, respected, but not exactly important in the scheme of things. Most of them are "I was there" awards, or ribbons for good attendance and keeping your bunk neatly made.

The media don't get that. You don't do the job for a bit of colored ribbon, this isn't first grade. You do the job because it's the job.

You are, of course, very correct. I saw commanders issue medals to the entire company, just so they could get it for themselves. Half the people in the company, did not even know why they were getting the medal, or what it was for. There are a lot of bogus medals in the military, and it goes both ways. People, especially people in higher ranks and people with connections to people with higher ranks, tend to get medals that they in no way possible deserve, and there are frontline guys who save the day and are overlooked or the medal goes to the wrong person. This does happen frequently. But a Purple Heart is much different.

First, a Purple Heart is not based on someone's perception. Either you are bleeding, or you are not. There is really not much discretion there. Second, a Purple Heart has a direct effect on everything, including your discharge status, benefits, pension, disability, and it even has an effect on your civilian life.

No. A Purple Heart is not a shiney bit of ribbon and tin, as many of them are. It is in a whole different class by itself.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:06:06 PM by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
I looked up. To my shame I didn't know - ignorance is no excuse, but still. My fault.

It's like our DSO (with or without bars).

It means something.

Not like the rest of them.

If you want a small laugh, we had a dinner recently. Formal, so mess dress for me. Could I find my crowns? Not anywhere. My eldest grand daughter has been wearing them as earrings!  :shrug:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 12:14:16 PM by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf