Author Topic: IRS Seizing Tax Refunds of Children, Grandchildren Over Parents' Decades-Old Debts  (Read 691 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/04/11/irs-seizing-tax-refunds-children-grandchildren-over-parents-decades-old-de

BY
FOX NEWS INSIDER
 // APR 11 2014 // 9:47PM AS SEEN ON
THE KELLY FILE
Some 400,000 Americans may see their tax refund checks grabbed by the government after Congress quietly lifted the 10-year statute of limitations in 2011 on money owed to Uncle Sam.

Now, debts going back decades are considered fair game for the IRS, and the government is coming after the children and grandchildren of the original debtors for the repayment.

In some cases, debts of parents from the early 1960s and 70s are being collected from children.

In many cases, the IRS doesn't even possess the original records of the debts.

On "The Kelly File," former Justice Department attorney J. Christian Adams called it a "classic abuse" by Washington, D.C. of regular Americans who don't know how to defend themselves.

Adams pointed out that no one actually even knows who is responsible for the 10-year statute's repeal. Congress claims it's the fault of the Obama administration, and the White House claims it's the work of Congress.

Megyn Kelly cited a case reported by the Washington Post of a woman named Mary Grice whose father died when she was 4 years old in 1977, leaving her mother with five children. Thirty-seven years later, the Social Security administration is claiming that it overpaid someone in her family, but it isn't sure who, and is going after Ms. Grice for the alleged debt. Grice is suing.

When Megyn Kelly asked Adams what the chances are of the government dropping the debt against Grice, Adams answered, "Zero."

"This is an administration that loves to suspend laws when they're inconvenient and not enforce certain laws," Adams said. "Let's see if they do it here."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline SouthTexas

This is just disgusting.  It's the law, and the law we must follow, but it is a terrible, terribly unjust, law.  Everyone who cares about this should write to their members of Congress and demand that this be undone.  There must be some point at which old debts are finally put to rest, at which the game is over and the individual no longer has to worry about looking over their shoulder to see who's coming.

The Feds/ IRS writes off in excess of $10 million in taxes owed by Willie Nelson and I just got a bill for $600 in excess SS survivor benefits.
My father was a carrier pilot who was killed in a crash when I was four.  But it's the law....

The law, here and elsewhere, is not being applied equally. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Sorry about your father, Texas. That must have been rough for you. Dude would be proud of you though.

The wheels are coming off the Dem wagon. Their mouths wrote cheques the government can't cover, so they are chasing every penny from the nameless ones.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline SouthTexas

Sorry about your father, Texas. That must have been rough for you. Dude would be proud of you though.

The wheels are coming off the Dem wagon. Their mouths wrote cheques the government can't cover, so they are chasing every penny from the nameless ones.

Thanks.  Didn't really know any different, it was what it was.

What irritates me more and more is the inequality under the law.  It's fine if you want to collect what's owed, but stop giving it away in the first place to windmills and solar farms, Chinese battery companies, etc.  Then go after the ones that owe the most.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Phantom tax bills is only the beginning. The mindset of Obama and this current government is that they own everything. Everything, all money, land, property, investments, even children, ultimately are theirs. They are just granting you 'use' of their stuff as long you obey their rules and give them their cut. That is, of course, until they decide they want 'their' stuff back. Then, they just swoop in and take it.

When Obama said, "You didn't build that!", he was in effect stating pubically what I just said. He was saying that everything you 'built' was done because of the government, and therefore, the government has a claim to it.

Before long the government will begin seizing pensions, savings, investments, land, gold, property, and all the rest. It is coming, soon. It will happen IMO.

After all, in their minds, it all really belongs to them anyway.

(On a side note, I predicted that the government would stop giving tax refunds years ago. When the government gets their hands on money, they keep it every time. That is why I do not allow any taxes to be taken directly from my paycheck. I do not trust the government to be fair or just. If you overpay them, they will just keep it and tell you to go to hell. The unofficial motto of the IRS is, 'We don't care, because we dont have to.")

But, hey, you can always sue them, if you have a few hundred thousand you don't need anymore.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline xfreeper

This is just disgusting.

That's an understatement. There are no limits to the depths this third world government will sink to fund themselves. 'It's the law' should be a worthless, meaningless statement in this country at this point.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Phantom tax bills is only the beginning. The mindset of Obama and this current government is that they own everything.

Winner! Winner!

Chicken dinner!!!!!

What is our problem?

Ronnie said it decades ago:

"Government is the problem."

"Government" is both Republicans and Democrats, so both Republicans and Democrats are the problem since they together make up the government.

One side spends all their time and energy trying to force people to do things they don't want to do, and the other side side spends their time and energy trying to stop people from doing things they want to do.

Meanwhile, the country goes to shit.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
When Liberal Communists/Marxists like Obama say, "You didn't build that!", in their mind what they are really saying is, "You don't own that!". That is what is at the heart of this current government.

The whole concept and idea of "private ownership" or a "private business" or even a "private home" is gone. It is in the past. Now they are going even further and are enforcing by threat of force and threat of law, that "personal opinion" is illegal. Personal speech is illegal. Everything, except what they specifically approve, is illegal.

They want to control what you do, what you say, what you eat, what you read, where you go, what you see, and what you think, by force of their 'Laws'. This is where we are today in America.

This is what they all have ushered in over decades. Welcome all! Welcome to the hiippy/liberal/progressive utopia from the 1960s. We are all in it now.

Liberal retards are in for such a shock about what they have built, as they always are all throughout all of history. They have no idea what they have done and are still doing. They are lost in some fantasy-land in their minds. And when it all comes crashing down, which it will, they will be the first to lose.

Oh well. What can you do? Buckle up everyone, ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.