Author Topic: Boston Marathon victim storms off ‘Meet the Press’ after being ‘disrespected’  (Read 1057 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/11/adrianne-haslet-davis-storms-meet-press-marathon-v/

Boston Marathon bombing survivor Adrianne Haslet-Davis allegedly walked out of the set of Meet the Press with David Gregory (right).

Boston Marathon victim storms off ‘Meet the Press’ after being ‘disrespected’

By Douglas Ernst

-

The Washington Times

Friday, April 11, 2014

A survivor of the Boston Marathon bombing stormed out of a scheduled interview with NBC’s “Meet the Press” in tears on Friday.

Adrianne Haslet-Davis, a dancer who lost part of one leg during the attack, said NBC promised not to name alleged bombers Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev in her presence but did not follow through on the request.

She tweeted after the incident:

• I feel so disrespected @meetthepress I asked politely yesterday and you said yes. Now you choose to use the name instead.

• Cannot believe @meetthepress chose to use the bombers name instead of respect their guest. Had to walk off set crying.

Let’s change the dialect to honor the survivors and not focus on the criminals. Shame on you @meetthepress.

She later followed up with a post on her website:

To whom it may concern,

I need to follow up on what I expressed to the coordinator, the host and the executive producer before I left the studio.

I needn’t apologize for leaving you this morning, as you made your decision. I am not one to ask for people to wait on me hand and foot, for people to bend over backwards and leave their own well being to take care of mine…this is not my character nor is it my intent.

But I did specifically ask of two things for this interview, one being that his name (and you know to whom I refer to) not be mentioned in my presence. Your decision to back out on that promise you made and the horrific way you brought that decision to my attention just minutes prior to taping was not only a cowardice move but a dishonorable one as well. To say that I am hurt is an understatement, for you not only disrespected me, you disrespected the survivors of the bombing and the victims memories by blatantly disregarding this request and putting the value of a terrorist’s name, who put a city in turmoil and caused irrevocable damage physically and emotionally to people of this city, over Boston’s integrity, fortitude, and my personal well being.

My second request you know of, to be referred to as a survivor, not a victim. This one you honored, but I think you forget what a victim truly is defined as. For I will not be a victim, not on anyones level, whether it be from a terrorist, or the press.

Adrianne

NBC News released the following statement Friday evening:

“Adrianne Haslet-Davis is an inspiring survivor with an important story to share. She was due to take part in a roundtable discussion for Meet the Press with three other participants. She requested that the alleged bombers’ names not be used in the entire program, but given the nature of the discussion we couldn’t make that guarantee. We regret any distress caused by this miscommunication.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

So, they are calling her a liar. I would have walked off, too, and certainly would accept an apology with a lie in it.

Offline evadR

Why would anyone agree to an interview with a-hole David Gregory?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline sinkspur

Don't get why mentioning the perp's name causes such angst.   She should never have agreed to the interview in the first place.

Way too fragile.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Don't get why mentioning the perp's name causes such angst.   She should never have agreed to the interview in the first place.

Way too fragile.

Guessing you don't know  whole lot of people with PTSD. Weird things can trigger people. She lost a good chunk of leg, thanks to these assholes. While we call that Thursday, she's a dancer. Her legs are kind of important to her.

Saying "the perp" or "the bomber" is neutral. A name goes with a face and that suddenly becomes personal as hell.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline happyg

Guessing you don't know  whole lot of people with PTSD. Weird things can trigger people. She lost a good chunk of leg, thanks to these assholes. While we call that Thursday, she's a dancer. Her legs are kind of important to her.

Saying "the perp" or "the bomber" is neutral. A name goes with a face and that suddenly becomes personal as hell.

True. She knew hearing the name would trigger raw emotion, along with giving him attention. That is why she asked them not to use it. They promised, then reneged on the promise. I would have done the same.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
Your decision to back out on that promise you made and the horrific way you brought that decision to my attention just minutes prior to taping was not only a cowardice move but a dishonorable one as well.

It sounds like this isn't a matter of surprising her with no notice but a matter of timing.  From her statement I gather that she knew prior to taping that they were changing the deal.  I sympathize with her having to go through hell for the last year, but if she knew before taping started that they were going to mention the guy's name she could have backed out, too.  She could have walked out as soon as she became aware, rather than waiting until the interview started.  Whatever consequences might have ensued would surely have been better than having to hear his name.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I dunno. They made a verbal agreement with her - then changed it.

I have a lot of sympathy for her - her life is totally different now thanks to a pair of assholes, and she just wanted to tell her tale. Everyone has one, ask any bar tender.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink