Author Topic: Harry Reid's Son Representing Chinese Solar Panel Plant in $5 Billion Nevada Deal  (Read 1296 times)

Offline happyg

by Wynton Hall  Dated 4 Sep 2012

The son of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), Rory Reid, is the primary representative for ENN Energy Group, a Chinese energy company seeking to build a $5 billion solar panel plant on a 9,000-acre Clark County desert plot in Laughlin, Nevada.   

ENN scored big when Clark County commissioners unanimously voted to sell the Chinese company the public land for just $4.5 million, despite the fact that it was appraised at $38.6 million.   

Sen. Reid has been one of ENN’s biggest supporters, having recruited the company during a 2011 trip to China. According to Reuters, last month Sen. Reid tried to “pressure Nevada's largest power company, NV Energy, to sign up as ENN's first customer.”

Both Rory Reid and Harry Reid deny having ever discussed the $5 billion Chinese solar panel plant deal: 

"I have never discussed the project with my father or his staff," said Rory Reid. Kristen Orthman, a spokeswoman for the senator, said he had not discussed the project with his son.

This isn’t the first time the Reids have come under fire for alleged cronyism. In 2003, allegations emerged that Nevada industries frequently lobbied Sen. Reid through his well-connected relatives.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/09/04/Harry-Reid-s-Son-Representing-Chinese-Solar-Panel-Plant-In-5-Billion-Nevada-Deal

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline happyg

Good video, Gazoo. It's not good being a US citizens these days, especially if private citizens have something the feds want.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
- Neil Kornze, former Reid aid, is now a BLM Director and is well involved in the Bundy seige. Kornze was responsible for planning the allottment of 285,000 acres to dedicated Solar farm development (a pet Reid boondoggle). These Solar development zones are Tortoise and Bird kill zones - see BrightSource. So Reid knows damn well what is going on at the Bundy Ranch and could stop the BLM Gestapo cold.

- It turns out Brightsource is also a big Reid contributor. See how this works? Hundreds of thousands of acres set aside to kill Tortoises for Friends of Reid, nothing for the Bundys who have worked and preserved the land since 1870.

- Harry Reid killed more Tortoises in cahoots with Brightsource solar and jailed buddy Harvey Whittemore than Bundyranch.

- Reid helped Whittemore procure environmental waivers for the Coyote Springs golf and residential development. Reid was happy to let Brightsource cover 8,300 acres of tortoise land of the 42,000-acre Coyote Springs. These included powerline changes and most importantly, a land swap with BLM of Desert Tortoise land.

- Harvey Whittemore was convicted of giving Reid illegal campaign contributions to Reid and is due to start a two year sentence. Only the big boys who pay under the table get Reid's favors.

- Harry Reid 'owns' 200 acres in Searchlight, all old BLM mining deeds inherited from his miner dad, all filled with desert Tortoise. His claim to that land is likely dependent on BLM favouritism. Maybe he should be evicted. In 2007 Vegas land was $700k/acre. People thought Searchlight would be bedroom community. During RE boom, Reid thought his land worth $20 million. That's why the new four lane highway into Searchlight directly benefited Reid, for land he has no more right to than the Bundys.

- Someone should ask how many Tortoises were killed building four lane superhighway to Harry Reid's land in Searchlight. Reid has positioned himself to be a beneficiary of owning the land entering Searchlight as a future bedroom community.

Harry Reid's Connection to Bundy Ranch Siege - Updated
http://www.dailypaul.com/316556/harry-reids-connection-to-bundy-ranch-siege

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline kevindavis007

Well to be honest, that I don't believe, I think we should look for other sources.. I did see the same news from infowars..  We need to trust but verify.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Well to be honest, that I don't believe, I think we should look for other sources.. I did see the same news from infowars..  We need to trust but verify.

I understand your point. I think even Drudge posts links to infowars at times because if we waited on and trusted the alphabet channels to report fairly, we would be waiting a lifetime.

Is ABC good enough? Or should we wait on See BS?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/nevada-governor-decries-blm-rancher-dispute-23265149

Offline kevindavis007

I understand your point. I think even Drudge posts links to infowars at times because if we waited on and trusted the alphabet channels to report fairly, we would be waiting a lifetime.

Is ABC good enough? Or should we wait on See BS?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/nevada-governor-decries-blm-rancher-dispute-23265149

ABC is good enough for me.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
It was buried in about the 11th or 12th paragraph down at ABC. They would never headline it.

Kornze, the new BLM chief, is familiar with the area. He's a natural resource manager who grew up in Elko, Nev., and served previously as a senior adviser to Senate Democratic Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Reid aide Kristen Orthman said her boss "hopes the trespassing cattle are rounded up safely so the issue can be resolved."

Offline happyg

Review-Journal Publisher Praised Reid's Work On Coyote Springs; "To The Extent That Reid Helped A Developer Legally Convert Public Land To Private Land, I Say That's Good. Real Good." In a September 2006 column, Review-Journal Publisher Sherman Frederick wrote, "I believe we'll run out of developable private land long before we run out of water. That's why I give Sen. Harry Reid big kudos for helping developers get the appropriate clearances to start developing Coyote Springs. Not everyone agrees with me, apparently ... Southern Nevada needs all of the developable private land it can get. The only place it can get it from is the government's outrageous 90 percent share. So, to the extent that Reid helped a developer legally convert public land to private land, I say that's good. Real good." [Review-Journal, Sherman Frederick Column, 9/3/06]

http://harryreid.com/ee/index.php/facts/research

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
And to those that think Harry Reid truly gives a rats petard about turtles. I have some land for sale down by the Bayou, with The Brooklyn Bridge thrown in with ginsu knives- if you act now!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:55:34 pm by Gazoo »

Offline happyg

Thanks To Reid, A US-Chinese Partnership Is Bringing Their Wind Turbine Plant To The Las Vegas Valley, Which Will Create 1,000 Jobs Once Complete. In March 2010, the Sun reported, "A consortium of companies announced plans today to develop a plant in the Las Vegas area that would employ about 1,000 people for manufacturing wind turbines. Once up and running, the 320,000-square-foot plant would be one of the largest manufacturing employers in Southern Nevada and would build upon an already fast-growing local renewable energy industry that so far has focused on solar power ... In today's announcement, the partners credited Sen. Harry Reid for their decision to locate the plant in Nevada. They also cited affordable real estate in Nevada, the state's skilled workforce and Nevada's business-friendly climate. Reid is a leader in developing renewable energy and his commitment to renewable energy and to promoting investment in Nevada was instrumental in the decision, the companies said in their statement." [Las Vegas Sun, 3/11/10]

Sun Editor Brian Greenspun: "None Of This ... Would Have Happened Without Harry Reid." In a March 2010 column, Las Vegas Sun Editor Brian Greenspun wrote, "A-Power's commitment to build an assembly plant in our valley, which will encourage others to follow suit, means not only energy production throughout the United States, but also significant job production here at home. It is in this context that I have been thinking a great deal about Nevada's senior U.S. senator and the majority leader, Harry Reid ... On a professional note, it is incumbent upon me to say that none of this — the wind turbine plant, the hundreds and thousands of high-paying and sustainable jobs (and construction jobs, too), the entrance of Southern Nevada in a major way into the energy business, the clasping of hands between China and the United States — would have happened without Harry Reid." [Las Vegas Sun, Brian Greenspun Column, 3/14/10]

Reid Worked With Residents And Local Officials To Bring A Power Plant That Used Natural Gas And Solar Instead Of Coal To Mesquite. In March 2010, the Review-Journal reported, "The last of three planned coal-fired power plants in Nevada is off the table, replaced with a proposal that will incorporate natural gas and solar power. Sithe Global Power of Houston said Monday that new plans for its Toquop Energy Project electricity plant near Mesquite will feature 700 megawatts of natural gas-fired generating capacity and 100 megawatts of sun-powered electricity output ... James announced the company's new plans for the $1.45 billion Toquop project in a press conference with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Mesquite Mayor Susan Holecheck. Holecheck praised Reid for 'working tirelessly' as an advocate for the coal-fired plant's opponents. She also thanked Sithe's 'willingness to compromise.' 'I know this must have been a costly consideration, but looking to the future wellness of our people and the environment carries larger benefits for all,' she said." [Review-Journal, 3/22/10]

http://harryreid.com/ee/index.php/facts/research

Offline happyg

Here's a couple good links on Dirty Harry:

Helps campaign contributor secure government land for development

Reid is a longtime friend of Harvey Whittemore, a multimillionaire lobbyist and land developer from Nevada. From 2002 to 2006, Reid often used his influence in the Senate to help Whittemore attain government land for the purposes of building a massive development in the barren Coyote Springs Valley in Nevada. Reid even pushed for Whittemore to be granted the rights for free; ultimately, he paid the government $10 million.

As the project advanced, Reid received tens of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from Whittemore. The contributions went both to Reid's Senate campaigns and his leadership fund, which helps fund the campaigns of other Senate Democrats.

The relationship between the two goes even deeper. Reid's son, Leif Reid, is Whittemore's personal lawyer and has represented the developer throughout the Coyote Springs project and his negotiations with federal officials.

In response, a spokesman for Reid said, "There is a reason every major Republican and Democratic officeholder in Nevada has fought for Coyote Springs---it will create jobs and make the state an even better place to live and raise a family." [26]

Improper reporting of land deal

In 1998, Reid bought two parcels of land on the outskirts of Las Vegas. He bought one parcel himself, and another jointly with his partner and longtime friend Jay Brown. In 2001, Reid sold the land to a limited liability company created by Brown for an equivalent share of the company. He did not disclose the sale to Congress, however, and continued to list the land as a personal asset. When the land sold for over $1 million dollars in 2004, Reid received $1.1 million and listed the transaction as a personal land sale. Reid's name was not formally attached to Brown's company in any way. Reid claimed that this was because the two men had known each other for 35 years and trusted each other completely. [27]

On October 16, 2006, Reid announced that he was filing a correction to his ethics form that would better represent the actualities of the arrangements surrounding the land deal. He also stated that he would be amending the reports to include two other small holdings that had been previously unreported. [28]

Earmark for a bridge near personal land

In November 2006, the Los Angeles Times reported that Reid had earmarked to a bridge building project near where he held 160 acres of land. The bridge is intended to span the Colorado River between Laughlin, Nevada and Bullhead City, Arizona. Reid's land is several miles from the proposed site of the bridge in Arizona. His office explained that the new bridge was necessary due to the Hoover Dam's closure to truck traffic due to terrorism fears and categorically denied that it had anything to with his landholdings.

In January 2007, Reid's 2002 acquisition of the property came under scrutiny as he only paid a mere $166 an acre for the 160 acre parcel.

Reid's interest in the barren parcel dates back to the period of 1979 through 1982, when he and Clair Haycock bought the 160 acres. Haycock bought a three-eighths interest, equivalent to 60 acres, for $90,000 — $1,500 an acre. Reid, then a Nevada lawyer and political figure, bought the other five-eighths, the equivalent of 100 acres. They did not divide the parcel.

Allegations have been made that Reid introduced legislation on behalf of Haycock, who was a "lubricants dealer" in las Vegas
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Harry_Reid#Improper_reporting_of_land_deal

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Remember US Senator Pat Geary of Nevada in the Godfather II??  That character was modeled in no small part on Dusty Harry Reid, who has a long sordid career in Nevada politics dating back before the mob moved on Vegas.

The fruit certainly does not fall far from the tree.

I do wonder what the kill rate for large raptors is on this particular model of wind turbine......

:smokin: