Author Topic: Capitol Update: GOP Conservatives Openly Planning For Boehner To Step Down As Speaker  (Read 1684 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://theulstermanreport.com/2014/04/11/capitol-update-gop-conservatives-openly-planning-for-boehner-to-step-down-as-speaker/

Capitol Update: GOP Conservatives Openly Planning For Boehner To Step Down As Speaker
by Ulsterman on April 11, 2014 with 1 Comments in News

Some readers may recall how R.I. indicated last year of a developing plan within the House Republicans of pushing out John Boehner as Speaker, and possibly doing the same to House Majority Leader Eric Cantor as well.  This week, further details of that plan are now circulating among other media sources, confirming what was detailed by R.I. several months ago.

Via NationalJournal)
House Conservatives Plot to Oust Boehner, Put Scare Into Cantor

One plan: Force the speaker to step aside before the new year.

Several dozen frustrated House conservatives are scheming to infiltrate the GOP leadership next year—possibly by forcing Speaker John Boehner to step aside immediately after November’s midterm elections.

The conservatives’ exasperation with leadership is well known. And now, in discreet dinners at the Capitol Hill Club and in winding, hypothetical-laced email chains, they’re trying to figure out what to do about it. Some say it’s enough to coalesce behind—and start whipping votes for—a single conservative leadership candidate. Others want to cut a deal with Majority Leader Eric Cantor: We’ll back you for speaker if you promise to bring aboard a conservative lieutenant.

But there’s a more audacious option on the table, according to conservatives involved in the deliberations. They say between 40 and 50 members have already committed verbally to electing a new speaker. If those numbers hold, organizers say, they could force Boehner to step aside as speaker in late November, when the incoming GOP conference meets for the first time, by showing him that he won’t have the votes to be reelected in January.

The masterminds of this mutiny are trying to stay in the shadows for as long as possible to avoid putting a target on their backs. But one Republican said the “nucleus” of the rebellion can be found inside the House Liberty Caucus, of which he and his comrades are members. This is not surprising, considering that some of the key players in that group—Justin Amash of Michigan, Raul Labrador of Idaho, and Thomas Massie of Kentucky—were among the 12 Republicans who refused to back Boehner’s reelection in January 2013.

…Boehner isn’t the only target. The conservatives find fault with the entire leadership team. Privately, they define success as vaulting one of their own into any one of the top three leadership spots. But they think they’re less likely to accomplish even that limited goal with a narrow effort focused on knocking out one person or winning a single slot. That’s why this time around, unlike the ham-fisted mutiny of 2013, rebels are broadening their offensive beyond Boehner’s gavel.

Cantor, next in line for speaker and once considered a shoo-in to succeed Boehner, has found himself in conservatives’ crosshairs in recent weeks.

With Boehner out of town in late March, Cantor was charged with pushing a “doc fix” bill across the finish line. When it became apparent the measure might not clear the House floor, Cantor authorized a voice vote, allowing the bill to pass without registered resistance. This maneuver infuriated conservatives, who felt that leadership—Cantor in particular—had cheated them. Rep. Mick Mulvaney of South Caroline yelled “Bullshit!” outside the House chamber.

Some conservatives are still seething.

“I’m getting used to being deceived by the Obama administration, but when my own leadership does it, it’s just not acceptable,” Rep. Matt Salmon of Arizona said last week, after Cantor met with a group of angry Republican Study Committee members. 
This is YOUR influence within the GOP readers.  I know some of you demand changes in leadership to happen more quickly, but in D.C., it rarely happens that way.  What does happen, are the tens of thousands of emails and phone messages that do reach the eyes and ears of politicians in D.C.  It is a process of many weeks, and even months, for that to happen, but it has, and IS, happening.  Your voice is being heard.  Your demands, at least by a now growing and more emboldened number within the GOP, are being pushed onto the actual agenda table.

If the 2014 election shows an indisputable shift once again toward true conservative values, your voice will command the day, and the immediate future of Congress as we cage the final two years of the Obama administration into the Lame Duck cage it so deserves.  -UM
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Please let these conservatives be successful in this venture!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
House Conservatives Plot to Oust Boehner, Put Scare Into Cantor - NationalJournal.com
http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/house-conservatives-plot-to-oust-boehner-put-scare-into-cantor-20140410

:hands:  :0001:

Put this in your pipe and smoke it, Republican establishment supporters!
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
If the conservatives continue to be as vindictive as they appear to be right now, this could lead to disaster.  Running the House is a team effort and that is undermined when teammates go after each other tooth and nail.

The only disaster will be, if the current established dem-lite status quo- continues, allowing this country to go down like the Titanic.

It is not a disaster when they have the votes and the three dem-lites- Boehner, Cantor, McCarthy lose  power and retire; for failing to do their jobs. The party will be stronger when these three go. And to those that don't like it, realize this brings REAL moderacy to the republican party with the majority desire of LIBERTY http://www.rlc.org/  restored, satisfying the conservative, independent and libertarian Causes. Calling this changeover anything but good for America would leave you spinning like a... democrat.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The only disaster will be, if the current established dem-lite status quo- continues, allowing this country to go down like the Titanic.

It is not a disaster when they have the votes and the three dem-lites- Boehner, Cantor, McCarthy lose  power and retire; for failing to do their jobs. The party will be stronger when these three go. And to those that don't like it, realize this brings REAL moderacy to the republican party with the majority desire of LIBERTY http://www.rlc.org/  restored, satisfying the conservative, independent and libertarian Causes. Calling this changeover anything but good for America would leave you spinning like a... democrat.

:hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

:amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
It must all be true, if it is on "Ulsterman" ha ha ha.

Instead of getting led around by obscure media, why not try better execution of politics?

Start with vetting candidates. Do that, and maybe actually wind up with political power.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

The conservatives are all saying that it's either their way or the highway, that their candidates get nominated or they won't vote at all.  That means that if the democrats get control of Congress in November that the blame will lie on them, not the moderates.  I hope the irony is appreciated.

Frankly, 'those' conservatives are blowing smoke out of their a$$.

Boehner is history because with a Senate and House majority, we need FORCEFUL leaders in both chambers who are welcoming a fight with Obama and the Left for the final two years of his crime spree.

Boehner cries at Taco Bell openings.  Nothing worse than an orange-skinned man weeping.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

The conservatives are all saying that it's either their way or the highway, that their candidates get nominated or they won't vote at all.  That means that if the democrats get control of Congress in November that the blame will lie on them, not the moderates.  I hope the irony is appreciated.

I have never said I would not vote if the candidate of my choice isn't running.  I've never done that in the past, and I never will.  To me, voting is a sacred privilege, that people have died for me to be able to participate in.  I, and many other people, see this country being destroyed.  I'm sorry, but if you've been in office 30 years or more, you either like things just the way they are - or you are completely ineffective at fixing the problem, in which case it's time for you to go and give someone else a shot at it.  Of course, the life career politicians don't like it and are fighting it tooth and nail. 

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Who said anyone would not vote at all?

Please stick with the subject of the thread. And that is, there is a reason that the the GOP approval ratings are worse than Obama's.
The article says that there are enough people to not make Boehner's speakership a shoe in. Logic also prevails, that a change of shift of  republican leadership will improve things all around. This spits in the faces of the democrats. The democrats will not gain super majority again anytime soon.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
It must all be true, if it is on "Ulsterman" ha ha ha.

Instead of getting led around by obscure media, why not try better execution of politics?

Start with vetting candidates. Do that, and maybe actually wind up with political power.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/house-conservatives-plot-to-oust-boehner-put-scare-into-cantor-20140410

Candidates are being vetting quite well. What is wrong with people that have failed to do their job being fired via the voting process? Speaker Boehner and the establishment failed. It is time for them to get out of the way and retire.

Offline R4 TrumPence

Boehner cries at Taco Bell openings.  Nothing worse than an orange-skinned man weeping.

8888crybaby 8888crybaby :hands: :hands:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

If a bunch of talk gets conservatives happy then yea!!!

It's all just talk.  Those powerful conservatives won't even say who they are.

Just like last years pathetic attempt by conservatives to oust Boehner  http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-04/john-boehners-hapless-tea-party-opposition#r=auth-s ...they have no alternative candidate.

Organizers are actively recruiting two highly respected conservatives — Jeb Hensarling of Texas and Jim Jordan of Ohio — hoping that one will agree to lead their opposition movement. But both have told colleagues they aren't interested. And the other frequently discussed scenarios, such as [Republican Study Committee] Chairman Steve Scalise running for whip, would hardly qualify as the splash conservatives are determined to make.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:37:54 am by Once-Ler »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Conservatives, all of whom are Republicans, should focus like a laser FIRST on winning majority control of the Senate and keeping the House majority.

What to do about Boehner and the others can follow later. And quit feeding the media grist for their mills to keep the political right at each others' throats.

Apparently they too want to be popular with the very media they decry. IOW they are just political hacks, no better than the so called experienced establishment.

Circular firing squad, eat our own, are getting proved over and over.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline evadR

Several members here have said just that.  One even said he would vote for the democrat before he would vote for a moderate Republican.
Correct. They even say it with pride as thought it makes perfect sense to do so.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline raml

I am one conservative that will not vote for a Christie or a Romney or a Bush. I will never vote for a democrat because all of them are crooks. The republicans are only about half crooks. You don't like it well I am sick of all the losers the leaders put out as candidates. I have always voted but will not anymore hold my nose and vote like many others I know who like me are fed up. Just because someone says they are a republican does not make them one that has been proven over and over again many just ignore the platform.

Offline alicewonders

Quote from: Loki on Today at 12:38:04 AM
Several members here have said just that.  One even said he would vote for the democrat before he would vote for a moderate Republican.

Correct. They even say it with pride as thought it makes perfect sense to do so.

But that's not what was originally said - this is:

That's painting all of us with a wide brush, isn't it?

Offline evadR

Quote from: Loki on Today at 12:38:04 AM

Quote from: evadR² on Today at 09:07:17 AM

But that's not what was originally said - this is:

That's painting all of us with a wide brush, isn't it?

Well, I will stand as corrected if it was taken as applying to all conservatives.
It certainly doesn't apply to all conservatives since I am as conservative as you can get and it doesn't apply to me.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.