Author Topic: Limbaugh: CBS has 'declared war on the heartland of America' by hiring Colbert  (Read 742 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/04/limbaugh-cbs-has-declared-war-on-the-heartland-of-186665.html?hp=l3

Limbaugh: CBS has 'declared war on the heartland of America' by hiring Colbert

Email
    Print

By HADAS GOLD |
4/10/14 1:57 PM EDT

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh is not happy with the news that Stephen Colbert is taking over for David Letterman as host of the "Late Show" on CBS.

Speaking shortly after the news broke on Thursday, Limbaugh said the network has "declared war" and is launching an assault on "traditional America," according to audio from the liberal watchdog group Media Matters.

"CBS has just declared war on the heartland of America. No longer is comedy going to be a covert assault on traditional American, conservative values," Limbaugh said on his show. "Now it's just right out in the open. This hire is a redefinition of what is funny, and a redefinition of what is comedy. They're blowing up the 11:30 format under the guise that the world's changing and people don't want the kind of comedy that Carson gave us or even Letterman, they don't want it anymore. It's media planting a flag here, it's I think maybe, media's last stand, but it's a declaration."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Isn't the assault no less an assault whether it's covert or overt?  This seems to be swapping one liberal for another, with no net change in practice.
Neither Letterman or Colbert are particularly funny or entertaining, in my view.

At that time of the night, I'm on my Roku picking what I want to view, not settling for network slop between commercials.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Neither Letterman or Colbert are particularly funny or entertaining, in my view.

At that time of the night, I'm on my Roku picking what I want to view, not settling for network slop between commercials.
Hence the problem facing most late-night TV. There won't be another Carson in our lifetimes... because 1) people use their DVR's now, and 2) the number of outlets for late-night TV are far greater. When Carson was host, he was it. Sure, you had Merv Griffin or Dick Cavett for a couple years, but by and large, Carson (benefiting from a network that was far quicker to put priority into late-night TV) was the only choice for a show of his format. Then Arsenio Hall came along and blew up the whole business model. Now you have ABC, CBS, NBC, Comedy Central, TBS, and Arsenio back in syndication... all fighting for that same piece of the pie.

The only real opening would be a weekly or biweekly show on Saturday/Sunday nights. NBC and CBS have NFL overruns on Sundays in the fall, making that slot more difficult. Fox and ABC have the same problems on Saturday (and NBC, of course, has SNL), and besides, no one watches TV on Saturday anymore. The other option is something a little more out of the mold, such as a more country-oriented show from Nashville or Texas, or maybe something out of Branson (where there are always celebrities swarming).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:59:28 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Netflix has done some good original programming, including Lillehammer, House of Cards, for example.

If there is or if there becomes a market for intelligent late night material, they may do it via streaming video.

I would be interested. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln