Author Topic: BREAKING: USGS: Major preliminary magnitude 8.3 earthquake strikes near the Solomon Islands.  (Read 1088 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
BREAKING: USGS: Major preliminary magnitude 8.3 earthquake strikes near the Solomon Islands.

M7.6 - 100km SSE of Kirakira, Solomon Islands 2014-04-12 20:14:39 UTC

Summary
Location and Magnitude contributed by: USGS National Earthquake Information Center

Event Time

2014-04-12 20:14:39 UTC
    2014-04-13 07:14:39 UTC+11:00 at epicenter
    2014-04-12 15:14:39 UTC-05:00 system time

11.315°S 162.211°E depth=29.3km (18.2mi)
Nearby Cities

100km (62mi) SSE of Kirakira, Solomon Islands
    323km (201mi) SE of Honiara, Solomon Islands
    711km (442mi) NW of Luganville, Vanuatu
    925km (575mi) SE of Arawa, Papua New Guinea
    968km (601mi) NW of Port-Vila, Vanuatu

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/06/tsunami-alert-solomon-islands-earthquake

Tsunami alert after Solomon Islands earthquake
Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issues alert for south Pacific islands after magnitude 8.0 quake under sea

Wednesday 6 February 2013 00.30 EST

A magnitude 8.0 earthquake off the Solomon Islands has sparked a tsunami warning for the island nations of the south Pacific, with houses reported damaged in the Solomons.

Local officials reported two 1.5-metre waves hitting the western side of Santa Cruz Island in the Solomons, damaging about 50 homes and properties. There were no reports of injuries or deaths. Villagers had gone to higher ground as a precaution.

The tsunami formed after the earthquake hit near Lata on Santa Cruz in Temotu province, the easternmost part of the Solomons a three-hour flight from the capital, Honiara. The region has a population of about 30,000 people.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said a tsunami of about one metre (3ft) was measured in Lata wharf in the Solomons. The centre said an 11cm (4.3in) wave was observed in neighbouring Vanuatu. The centre cancelled earlier warnings for tsunami further away.

The earthquake struck off the Santa Cruz islands, which are Solomons territory. The epicentre was 211 miles (340km) east of Kira Kira. The US Geological Survey initially put the quake epicentre at a very shallow depth of three miles (5km) but later revised this to a much greater depth of 17.8 miles (28.7km).

At various times the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a tsunami warning for the Solomons, Vanuatu, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Kosrae, Fiji, Kiribati, Wallis and Futuna. A tsunami watch was in effect for American Samoa, Australia, New Zealand and eastern Indonesia. However, the alerts were cancelled as the period of danger passed.

In Honiara the warning prompted residents to flee for higher ground. "People are still standing on the hills outside of Honiara just looking out over the water, trying to observe if there is a wave coming in," said George Herming, a spokesman for the prime minister.

Atenia Tahu, who works for the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corporation in Honiara, said most people remained calm. "People around the coast and in the capital are ringing in and trying to get information from us and the National Disaster Office and are slowly moving up to higher ground," Tahu said.

"But panic? No, no, no, people are not panicking."

Tsunami warning centre officials, based in Hawaii, said: "When no major waves are observed for two hours after the estimated time of arrival or damaging waves have not occurred for at least two hours then local authorities can assume the threat is passed."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

SPQR

Another earthquake from one of those subduction zones.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
This knowledge is fairly recent. When I was in college 72-73 taking geology, and working with graduate geologists in the oil industry, this subject was emerging as a new theory.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

SPQR

This knowledge is fairly recent. When I was in college 72-73 taking geology, and working with graduate geologists in the oil industry, this subject was emerging as a new theory.

I agree.There is still so much to learn though especially in the area of plate movement and detection
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:42:00 pm by SPQR »

Offline rustynail

More evidence that we Must Fight Fracking now!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
More evidence that we Must Fight Fracking now!
Fracking is not new. It is simply far more effective use of methods and techniques that have existed for decades.

Water injection and steam injection have also been used for decades. And there is not a case I'm aware of where such techniques cause harm at the surface.

In the past when I have discussed oilfield technology with laypersons, they haven't the slightest idea of what is taking place drilling, finishing and operating an oil well.

My town has literally hundreds of $million houses, build over old oil fields. The wells have been abandoned, surface equipment removed, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

SPQR

Fracking is not new. It is simply far more effective use of methods and techniques that have existed for decades.

Water injection and steam injection have also been used for decades. And there is not a case I'm aware of where such techniques cause harm at the surface.

In the past when I have discussed oilfield technology with laypersons, they haven't the slightest idea of what is taking place drilling, finishing and operating an oil well.

My town has literally hundreds of $million houses, build over old oil fields. The wells have been abandoned, surface equipment removed, etc.

Fracking has been around since 1949 and there has not been any problems.

Offline rustynail

Fracking has been around since 1949 and there has not been any problems.
Until now. With the 'scientists' in Ohio proving that recent earthquakes were caused by fracking and the idiot governor ordering a ban. I do not like the way this is going.

SPQR

Until now. With the 'scientists' in Ohio proving that recent earthquakes were caused by fracking and the idiot governor ordering a ban. I do not like the way this is going.

People complain about LNG and "clean energy" and then they complain how they extract it. You cannot have it both ways.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Yessiree....where the Indo-Australian plate is subducting under the Pacific Plate.  This is one of the most geologically and tectonically active areas on the planet.  Ground zero for earthquakes and violent volcanic eruptions is along this entire chain all the way to the other end of the Indonesian Archepelago where the Indian Ocean begins on the other side of Sumatra.  I think we are seeing a lot of sympathetic activity all around the Pacific "Rim of Fire" and there will likely be more activity to come.  When you have a big quake like this the whole plate tends to resonate like a cymbal, setting off faults, quakes and even volcanic eruptions thousands of miles away on the other side of the same enormous tectonic plate. 

And all of the plates are in ever-lasting, never ceasing motion.....

SPQR

Yessiree....where the Indo-Australian plate is subducting under the Pacific Plate.  This is one of the most geologically and tectonically active areas on the planet.  Ground zero for earthquakes and violent volcanic eruptions is along this entire chain all the way to the other end of the Indonesian Archepelago where the Indian Ocean begins on the other side of Sumatra.  I think we are seeing a lot of sympathetic activity all around the Pacific "Rim of Fire" and there will likely be more activity to come.  When you have a big quake like this the whole plate tends to resonate like a cymbal, setting off faults, quakes and even volcanic eruptions thousands of miles away on the other side of the same enormous tectonic plate. 

And all of the plates are in ever-lasting, never ceasing motion.....