Author Topic: Last Man Standing Rancher: armed feds are surrounding my farm  (Read 667 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://freebeacon.com/issues/last-man-standing/

BY: Elizabeth Harrington   Follow @LizWFB
April 8, 2014 7:34 pm

A two-decades-old battle between a Nevada rancher and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has resulted in officials armed with machine guns surrounding the ranch and forcibly removing the owner’s cattle, according to the rancher’s family.

Cliven Bundy, the last rancher in Clark County, Nev., has been fighting a “one-man range war” since 1993, when he decided to take a stand against the agency, refusing to pay fees for the right to graze on a ranch run by his family for centuries.

After years of court battles, the BLM secured a federal court order to have Bundy’s “trespass cattle” forcibly removed with heavy artillery, the family said.

“The battle’s been going on for 20 years,” Bundy told theWashington Free Beacon. “What’s happened the last two weeks, the United States government, the bureaus are getting this army together and they’re going to get their job done and they’re going to prove two things. They’re going to prove they can do it, and they’re gonna prove that they have unlimited power, and that they control the policing power over this public land. That’s what they’re trying to prove.”

Bundy said the government has brought everything but tanks and rocket launchers.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Last Man Standing Rancher: armed feds are surrounding my farm
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:29 pm »
He shouldn't be a media headline. He isn't paying his fees. Everybody else has to pay fees, like parking tickets and library fines. Like school hero loan repayment.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:14:54 pm »
He shouldn't be a media headline. He isn't paying his fees. Everybody else has to pay fees, like parking tickets and library fines. Like school hero loan repayment.

After years of court battles, the BLM secured a federal court order to have Bundy’s “trespass cattle” forcibly removed with heavy artillery, the family said.

The confiscated cows crossed an imaginary line between the ranchers property and the governments (ours).  It has been said even the BLM cannot say precisely where the line is.  There is far more to this than not paying fees. 

I'm just thankful we have a minimal amount of "federal" land in Texas. 

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:18:24 pm »

Really??  I wonder what you think about the "First Amendment Zones"??  Does that come along with a library card too??

:smokin:

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:05:38 pm »
Having the government bring machine guns to what should be a simple round-em-up exercise will do that to people.

What I'm confused about is this:  is the land public land, or does it belong to him?  The start of the article implies it belongs to him, but further down it refers to the land as "public land."

More of the same from Fox News:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihzMeD3ipKI

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:33:44 pm »
Some facts are available, should anybody wish to delve beyond the mere superficial and titillating version portrayed by headline seeking journalists today:

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/grazing.html

snip

The BLM administers nearly 18,000 permits and leases held by ranchers who graze their livestock, mostly cattle and sheep, at least part of the year on more than 21,000 allotments under BLM management. Permits and leases generally cover a 10-year period and are renewable if the BLM determines that the terms and conditions of the expiring permit or lease are being met. The amount of grazing that takes place each year on BLM-managed lands can be affected by such factors as drought, wildfire, and market conditions.

The BLM administers nearly 18,000 permits and leases held by ranchers who graze livestock on public lands.
In managing livestock grazing on public rangelands, the BLM’s overall objective is to ensure the long-term health and productivity of these lands and to create multiple environmental benefits that result from healthy watersheds. The Bureau administers public land ranching in accordance with the Taylor Grazing Act of 1934, and in so doing provides livestock-based economic opportunities in rural communities while contributing to the West’s, and America’s, social fabric and identity. Together, public lands and the adjacent private ranches maintain open spaces in the fast-growing West, provide habitat for wildlife, offer a myriad of recreational opportunities for public land users, and help preserve the character of the rural West.

snip

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:06:00 am »
But my question still remains:  is this his own land or is it leased land subject to these rules?
Federal land.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:18:15 pm »
Thanks.  In that case he doesn't have a leg to stand on and so I quite agree with you that this shouldn't be a headline item, except perhaps to highlight the use of force, which still seems to be a bit over the top.

Not quite that simple:  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,135512.0.html