Author Topic: Improved Obamacare View Puts Democrat Ahead in Michigan Senate Race  (Read 1144 times)

Offline happyg

By Elliot Jager

Democratic Rep. Gary Peters is pulling ahead of former GOP Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land in Michigan's U.S. Senate race as the number of voters who think the Obamacare rollout was a failure has been decreasing, according to Public Policy Polling.

Peters now has the support of 41 percent of those polled against 36 percent for Land, in the race to replace retiring Democratic Sen. Carl Levin. Some 23 percent of those surveyed are not sure who they will vote for.

In December, Land had led Peters by 2 percentage points.

The drag the Obamacare rollout placed on Peters' candidacy has loosened, according to Public Policy's analysis. In December, 63 percent thought the rollout was a failure compared to the current 52 percent.

Even with that shift, 48 percent of Michigan voters are still against the Affordable Care Act, compared to 37 percent who think it is a good idea. Also, while 44 percent approve of President Barack Obama, 50 percent disapprove.

The senate race shift has been most noticeable among independent voters. Land's 17 point advantage evaporated and she is now tied with Peters among independents.

Support for Land has also been undermined by attack ads, according to Public Policy. She is viewed unfavorably by 31 percent of voters, with 42 percent not sure. Peters has an unfavorable rating of 27 percent, with 47 percent not sure.

Separately, the poll found no change in the governor's race with incumbent Republican  Gov. Rick Snyder maintaining a 4 point lead over Democratic challenger Mark Schauer, a former congressman. The poll showed that while Snyder was not popular— he's got a 48 percent disapproval rating— Schauer is not well known in the state, with 54 percent having no opinion about him.

Not being well known, however, has not necessarily hurt GOP incumbent Attorney General Bill Schuette. He has a slight lead for re-election over Democratic challenger Mark Totten, 36 percent to 33 percent. Some 54 percent of Michiganders have no view on Schuette.

A plurality of Michiganders describe themselves as either moderate (28 percent) or somewhat conservative (26 percent).

The April 3-6 poll surveyed 825 registered voters by phone (80 percent) or Internet (20 percent) and claims a 3.4 percentage point margin of error.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Michigan-Senate-polls-Peters/2014/04/09/id/564483#ixzz2yPYMNqSc
 Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Improved Obamacare View Puts Democrat Ahead in Michigan Senate Race
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:41:31 pm »
according to Public Policy Polling.

Ooh... so close to fooling me.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:40:58 pm »

Ooh... so close to fooling me.
Do you know that PPP is one of the highest ranked polling firms?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:43:37 pm »
Do you know that PPP is one of the highest ranked polling firms?
According to what standard? Everything I have read indicates that PPP is one of the LEAST accurate pollsters out there. I do know PPP consistently leans Democrat-- and considering its ties to James Carville and other Democrat lobbyists, it doesn't surprise me.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:53:23 pm »
According to what standard? Everything I have read indicates that PPP is one of the LEAST accurate pollsters out there. I do know PPP consistently leans Democrat-- and considering its ties to James Carville and other Democrat lobbyists, it doesn't surprise me.
The obvious standard is getting elections right. (what other standard could there be?)

http://www.backbenchmedia.com/ranking-political-polls/

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fordham-study-public-policy-polling-deemed-most-accurate-national-pollster-in-2012

A more productive attitude might be: "why did the GOP get seduced in 2012 by a few selected polls, to think Romney would prevail?"

Could it be a quest for the titillation of foreplay from selected polls showing them doing well?

And then the obliteration, denial and forgetfulness of doing the "which poll" game all over again?

I keep getting the feeling the 20% constituting the far right, think they are 51% because they talk only to each other.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 07:10:37 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:43:21 pm »
PPP is just full of good news for the Repubs..../s

Poll: Republican Guvs Trail Dem Challengers In 5 Races
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:00:59 pm »

Is it your position, that should a polling organization predict results not to your liking, they cannot be credible?

I have seen no argument here stronger than that, about PPP.

Remember the 2012 temporary euphoria among "conservatives" produced by ignoring established polls?

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 01:22:43 am »
Is it your position, that should a polling organization predict results not to your liking, they cannot be credible?

I have seen no argument here stronger than that, about PPP.

Remember the 2012 temporary euphoria among "conservatives" produced by ignoring established polls?

At this point I'm not worried.. Since the election is 7 months away..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 01:24:56 am »

"The polls, conducted by the Democratic-leaning PPP on behalf of MoveOn.org found the Democratic candidates in Maine, Kansas, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Florida leading the Republican candidates."
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 01:25:35 am »

I saw the article and again at this point I'm not worried.. If it was September, then I would be.. One point made me laugh.. What was the good news for pro abortion Barbie??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 11:52:18 am »
The obvious standard is getting elections right. (what other standard could there be?)

http://www.backbenchmedia.com/ranking-political-polls/

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fordham-study-public-policy-polling-deemed-most-accurate-national-pollster-in-2012

A more productive attitude might be: "why did the GOP get seduced in 2012 by a few selected polls, to think Romney would prevail?"

Could it be a quest for the titillation of foreplay from selected polls showing them doing well?

And then the obliteration, denial and forgetfulness of doing the "which poll" game all over again?
Let me remind you:

Nate Silver predicted an 80+% chance of Obama re-election. If PPP, the most heavily Dem of the national pollsters, was the only accurate one, then Silver could not have possibly had that kind of confidence. On top of that, we all know Chris Christie helped throw the election after Sandy, giving the President much-needed momentum at the perfect time, and since polls inherently have a few days' lag, the Dem-leaning one would appear to be more accurate because it was already too far left to begin with.

I keep getting the feeling the 20% constituting the far right, think they are 51% because they talk only to each other.
Ha. Have you READ this board since the 2012 elections? We all know we're outnumbered, and our enemies within are outbreeding, outculturing (OK, I'm not sure that is a word) and outmaneuvering us.

Offline Relic

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 02:04:51 pm »

You know, I agree with you about the polling. And I was one of the many who were swayed by the polls are biased game.

But, I'm just wondering if you could be a little more obnoxious as you attempt to make your point. I mean, I agree with you and found your reply evoked an emotional response. I'm sure with a little more effort you could really get some people riled up.

Of course, it would serve no legitimate purpose other than feeding whatever insecurity you're trying to mask.