Author Topic: DeMint: ‘Big Business Is No Friend of Conservatism’  (Read 663 times)

Offline happyg

DeMint: ‘Big Business Is No Friend of Conservatism’
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:44:45 pm »
Terence P. Jeffrey

Former Sen. Jim DeMint, the president of the Heritage Foundation, writes in his new book—“Falling in Love With America Again”—about the cozy relationship between big business and big government. “Almost all big corporations benefit from, advocate for, and downright like big government,” DeMint writes.

In an interview with CNSNews.com, DeMint explained his view that a corollary to this principle is that big business and conservatism are not on the same team. His views on the matter are seasoned by the insights he gleaned from serving three self-limited terms in the U.S. House of Representatives, and from being elected twice to the U.S. Senate. CNSNews.com asked DeMint about the partnership he discusses in his book between mega-corporations and the federal government:

“How does that work and why does it work?” “The large companies have lobbyists and people who work directly with the regulators, and many of the regulators like to be friendly with the big companies because the idea is they go to work for the big companies someday to help them with future legislators,” said DeMint. “And they make a lot more money as lobbyists or government-relations people, whatever you call them. But they become very friendly. “These big companies like to write regulations that make it harder for the smaller companies to compete with them,” DeMint said.

“The large companies can deal with a regulatory maze much better than the small companies can. Like the big tobacco companies wanted the FDA to regulate cigarettes because they knew the smaller companies could not get approval to ever introduce a new brand.” CNSNews.com asked: “So, essentially, there’s this cooperation between big business and the government to create a regulatory barrier to entrepreneurs and small business people to compete with the big business?” “In every category,” said DeMint. “It happens some at the state level too, licensing different industries and to make it harder for people to get in once those people have established it. I just want Americans to be aware of that, and this idea that the big government’s going to take care of you, it ain’t working.

” CNSNews.com asked DeMint about the notion—often promoted by the liberal media—that there is a connection between big business and conservatism: “Yet here you are as the president of the most famous conservative foundation in America, and you’re bashing big business.”

“Well, big business is no friend of conservatism,” said DeMint. “In fact, what we’ve found is--particularly in the last ten years--that big corporations are likely, if they can get a carve-out with their lobbyist in a tax code, or big unions can get a carve-out from Obamacare, or the banks can get a carve-out, then they support legislation that’s bad for all the rest of us.” “Conservatives and big business are not necessarily supportive of each other,” said DeMint. “Because part of what we do at Heritage is expose that. But big business likes big government for the most part. I’m not saying all of them, because I do hear some of them realizing that all these carve-outs in the tax code are actually hurting our overall economy. “But for the most part big business is in bed with big government,” he said.

- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/demint-big-business-no-friend-conservatism#sthash.uWCwoMTn.dpuf

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: DeMint: ‘Big Business Is No Friend of Conservatism’
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:46:20 pm »
Jim DeMint could not be any more right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 02:53:39 pm »
Jim DeMint could not be any more right!

:amen: This is an excellent read for rinos, as well as democrats.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 03:01:04 pm »
DeMint doesn't understand capitalism.

One of the major goals of a corporation is to capture enough market share to make barriers to entry too high.  Entrepreneurs, however, find niches in an industry and exploit that niche, growing their own business in the process. 

Does anyone dispute that patent laws and regulations have helped American pharmaceutical industry to be one of the most innovative and productive in the world? 

As far as tax carve outs, how are tax breaks for oil companies which allow them to invest in new technologies, "bad for the economy"?

What is happening here is that Heritage, with its constant criticism of business and the Chamber of Commerce, has alienated corporate donors, so DeMint has to gin up anger among the individual donors to keep his doors open.  And he, along with the Democrats, suffered a huge defeat last week with the Supreme Court's McCutcheon decision.  Corporate donors are going to have more of a presence in campaigns, and more influence.

A lot more influence than Heritage.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:13:10 pm »
It would appear that someone here has difficulty distinguishing between Corporatism and Capitalism!

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Corporatism.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:30:01 pm »
Big business has become even bigger by climbing in bed with politicians who sell out.  One wonders why the insurance and pharmaceutical industries were so quiet during the ramp up to Obamacare being shoved down our throats?  The promise of a big payoff is why.  They all seek more and more power and money at the expense of the individual.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 03:37:33 pm »
Big business has become even bigger by climbing in bed with politicians who sell out.  One wonders why the insurance and pharmaceutical industries were so quiet during the ramp up to Obamacare being shoved down our throats?  The promise of a big payoff is why.  They all seek more and more power and money at the expense of the individual.

If you cannot sell your product on it's own merits get the government to MANDATE it's purchase!  (See Obamacare)

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 03:41:43 pm »
It would appear that someone here has difficulty distinguishing between Corporatism and Capitalism!

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Corporatism.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

It would appear that someone here thinks we live in a fascist state, akin to Mussolini's Italy.  Conspiracy theories abound!!!!

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:44:10 pm »
Fascists love it.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:45:31 pm »
If you cannot sell your product on it's own merits get the government to MANDATE it's purchase!  (See Obamacare)

You fail to see the irony!

Mandating the purchase of health insurance as a way to lower the cost of healthcare was an idea first advanced in 1989............by the Heritage Foundation.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204369404577211161144786448

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 04:43:53 am »
Corporations have committees that decide on political donations. They act in their own informed best interests, of the firm they represent.

I wonder how many of them heard his remarks, and said: "...screw him and Heritage?"

Heritage is not the only game in town for those donations. If I was a board member of Heritage, I would ask if he is really right for the job?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln