Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox falls to 3rd place, hits lowest user level ever  (Read 640 times)

rangerrebew

Mozilla Firefox Falls to 3rd Place, Hits Lowest User Level Ever

Posted By Daniel Greenfield On April 7, 2014 @ 9:20 pm In The Point | No Comments

Firefox’s market share has been dropping for some time, but it has now fallen to third place behind Google Chrome for the first time.

While Google Chrome has been struggling with market share, Firefox has been in a steady decline down to 17% market share in March from 20% in May of last year.

Firefox fell below 18% this year so that it no longer even claimed a fifth of internet users.

Opera’s market share has also fallen, but may rise again as users search for browser alternatives to Firefox.

Firefox’s decline had more to do with its technical problems, including its infamous memory leak which reared its ugly ahead again recently, than gay marriage, but its purge of CEO Brendan Eich would not have helped matters any.

Eich however might have been able to turn Mozilla around. Instead it’s flailing, its mobile strategy has been a disaster, its browser has become the new Internet Explorer, clunky and slow to change. While Opera and Chrome have innovated, for example if you see a sound button on a Chrome tab, you know which tab is playing audio, Firefox has continued churning out clunkier versions of its browser.

For a full featured browser, Opera is better. For something lighter (though still prone to memory leaks), there’s always Chrome.

And for those who want to stick with the default, there’s Internet Explorer. So it’s not hard to see why Firefox is doomed.

Firefox calculated that it would offend fewer people by purging Eich. It may have made a big mistake as there is just as much of a backlash in the tech company over Eich’s purging in the name of gay rights.

Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech?! Is Ms Baker, a lawyer, kidding? How did Mr Eich’s personal action of 2008 of donating his own money to a successful political cause compromise the equality of anybody? Everybody had the right to vote, didn’t they? Is allowing his right to donate to a successful political campaign worse than denying his US Constitutional First Amendment right to freedom of speech? What sort of inverted world are we now living in?

Message to Winifred Mitchell Baker: Equality and free speech are two sides of the same coin! There cannot be any inconsistency between the two. The minute you deny one, then you deny the other.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://www.frontpagemag.com

URL to article: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/mozilla-firefox-falls-to-3rd-place-hits-lowest-user-level-ever/

Offline SouthTexas

Re: Mozilla Firefox falls to 3rd place, hits lowest user level ever
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:30:30 pm »
Still undecided whether I will drop FF or not.  Have used it for years and have it on multiple computers.

Scrolled through the alternatives and not real happy with any of them but I don't have the ability to write my own.  :laugh:

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 02:34:32 pm »
Still undecided whether I will drop FF or not.  Have used it for years and have it on multiple computers.

Scrolled through the alternatives and not real happy with any of them but I don't have the ability to write my own.  :laugh:

FF has become a pain. Frequent updates, that more often than not change things I don't want changed.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 02:37:09 pm »
Just like gay owned restaurants.  They fail because the food is lousy but no one tells the chef!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:23:22 pm »
I'm sticking with Mozilla and Firefox.

Don't try to fix what isn't broken......
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 03:26:13 pm »
FF has become a pain. Frequent updates, that more often than not change things I don't want changed.

I haven't really had any major issues with them until their politics played it's hand.

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 03:33:55 pm »
I haven't really had any major issues with them until their politics played it's hand.

I can't concern myself with their politics. I don't pay for their product, and if you examined the producers of all the browsers and their politics, you'd have some trouble finding a browser.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 03:40:45 pm »
Have you tried any other browsers?

Yes...Explorer and Chrome.

But I don't accept change graciously.  LOL! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:48:37 pm »
I dislike change as well.....I loved FF. I am trying Pale Moon. It looks just like FF and has a tool to import your bookmarks. so far I like it.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:55:05 pm »
I dislike change as well.....I loved FF. I am trying Pale Moon. It looks just like FF and has a tool to import your bookmarks. so far I like it.

I may look at this one again.  First round, it or a rider, tried to change my search engine set-up.  Scratched it all. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 04:03:14 pm »
I may look at this one again.  First round, it or a rider, tried to change my search engine set-up.  Scratched it all.
you should try it. I haven't had any issue. I open many tabs at a time and no problem with that either. If I didn't know better I would think I am using FF. It looks exactly the same.