Author Topic: WATCH: Rand Paul Says Dick Cheney Pushed for the Iraq War so Halliburton Would Profit  (Read 699 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WATCH: Rand Paul Says Dick Cheney Pushed for the Iraq War so Halliburton Would Profit
As the ex-veep blasts Paul for being an isolationist, old video shows the Kentucky senator charging that Cheney used 9/11 as an excuse to invade Iraq and benefit his former company.

—By David Corn | Mon Apr. 7, 2014 3:00 AM PDT

Last week, continuing the sometimes catty intra-party feud between Republican hawks and GOPers skeptical of foreign interventions, Vice President Dick Cheney took a shot at Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). But Paul is not likely to be fazed by criticism from the former vice president, for several years ago the Kentucky senator was pushing the conspiratorial notion that Cheney exploited the horrific 9/11 attacks to lead the nation into war in Iraq in order to benefit Halliburton, the enormous military contractor where Cheney had once been CEO.

Speaking at a private Las Vegas gathering of Republican funders and activists on March 29, Cheney blasted what he termed isolationists within the GOP. "One of the things that concerns me first about the [2016]  campaign, that I'm worried about," Cheney said, "is what I sense to be an increasing strain of isolationism, if I can put it in those terms, in our own party." He didn't name names, but he didn't have to—at least, in one case. He obviously had Rand Paul in mind. And Cheney, who also approvingly talked about bombing Iran, chided the unmentioned Paul and other less hawkish GOPers for having not learned the supposed lessons of 9/11.

Cheney's remarks were the latest round in the tussle between the Republican Party's hawks and intervention skeptics. A year ago, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) referred to Paul, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.), and other Republicans unenthusiastic about drone strikes as "wacko birds."

But years before this dust-up began, Paul was on the attack against Cheney. In not widely noticed appearances on the campaign trail, Paul claimed that Cheney's advocacy of the invasion of Iraq was partly nefarious and predicated on corporate self-interest, not national security priorities.

On April 7, 2009, as Paul was on the cusp of announcing his senatorial bid, he spoke to student Republicans at Western Kentucky University. Recalling President Dwight Eisenhower's warning about the military-industrial complex, he noted, "we need to be fearful of companies that get so big that they can actually be directing policy." And the company he had in mind was Cheney's former home: "When the Iraq war started, Halliburton got a billion-dollar no-bid contract. Some of the stuff has been so shoddy and so sloppy that our soldiers are over there dying in the shower from electrocution. I mean, it shouldn't be sloppy work, it shouldn't be bad procurement process. But it really shouldn't be that these people are so powerful that they direct even policy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ez3iKqAmbA#t=390

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:57:34 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
David Corn.

Hmm.

This is the same guy behind the 47% tape.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
David Corn.

Hmm.

This is the same guy behind the 47% tape.

Well they are clearly out to get Paul..they will throw everything they can at him until something sticks..
Support the USO

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I watched the video to hear what the title implied and it wasn't there. There was the typical 'be wary of the military industrial complex' but that doesn't say at all 'Cheney used 9/11 to profit Halliburton'. Instead, it was a warning against one company dominating a field so much, they don't have competition and could direct policy.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Well they are clearly out to get Paul..they will throw everything they can at him until something sticks..

Yep.  Paul is making inroads and now he's going to get the Christie treatment. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline sinkspur

Well, if Rand still believes Cheney maneuvered the Iraq War to benefit Halliburton, he's as nutty as his old man.

On the other hand, Americans have war fatigue, and Cheney is old news with his Kristol-like urgency to want to engage Iran militarily. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
The headline implied that the statement is recent ("says" versus "said") and that Paul directly linked Cheney's motivation with Halliburton, which he did not.  Taking a five year old comment out of context is just a feeble attempt to stir things up in the hopes that Republicans will destroy themselves.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Rand Paul notwithstanding, granting sole-source (no bid) contracts to Halliburton was very, very stupid and arrogant.

It was the type of thing which wore, and wore on a rational person., such as me. I asked myself, why do such an openly transparent thing, when it was not necessary?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

Rand Paul notwithstanding, granting sole-source (no bid) contracts to Halliburton was very, very stupid and arrogant.

It was the type of thing which wore, and wore on a rational person., such as me. I asked myself, why do such an openly transparent thing, when it was not necessary?

Halliburton is the proven leader in supply logistics. They're the best at what they do – no other company compares. Bush used them, Clinton used them, W used them and Obama uses them. They supply frontline troops on time and on budget.

Why should we want to put the lives of our troops in the hands of the lowest bidder?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Halliburton is the proven leader in supply logistics. They're the best at what they do – no other company compares. Bush used them, Clinton used them, W used them and Obama uses them. They supply frontline troops on time and on budget.

Why should we want to put the lives of our troops in the hands of the lowest bidder?
"The proven leader" takes it a bit far, insofar as there ARE other firms which bid on and won contracts for similar services.

And in performing their no-bid contracts in Iraq, Halliburton had several reports of outrageous pricing, no documentation for outrageous invoicings, etc.

Not to even mention that many of these functions and services used to be performed by the military, itself.

The appearance of bias rang out, connecting Cheney, who I like, and Halliburton, who is just a company.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

Exactly.  No other company provided the comprehensive services that Halliburton did, which is why Clinton sole-sourced them in Kosovo and Bush sole-sourced them in Iraq and Obama's administration CONTINUED that sole-sourcing.

I like Rand Paul, but he's got a lot of his daddy in him, which makes me nervous as hell. 

Trashing Dick Cheney appeals to the Libertarians and Independents who view him as the devil incarnate.    Rand knows this.

This statement (yes, made five years ago) is not unlike Jeb Bush's nonsensical "crossing the border illegally is an act of love."    Both are dumb and complicate their efforts with mainstream Republicans.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Exactly.  No other company provided the comprehensive services that Halliburton did, which is why Clinton sole-sourced them in Kosovo and Bush sole-sourced them in Iraq and Obama's administration CONTINUED that sole-sourcing.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what antitrust law is supposed to prevent.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

Antitrust is not consideration in matters of military preparedness and safety of our troops. War should not be a commercial enterprise subject to market forces. The only consideration should be how to "get 'er done" without suffering losses.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:51:48 am by aligncare »