Author Topic: McCaul: Allow more guns on military bases  (Read 800 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McCaul: Allow more guns on military bases
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:10:48 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/policy-strategy/202756-mccaul-lift-limits-on-guns-at-military-bases

April 06, 2014, 09:59 am
McCaul: Allow more guns on military bases

By Kate Tummarello

The chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee is calling for the repeal of limits on guns on military bases.

Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) on Sunday said lawmakers should lift limits on senior officers' ability to carry weapons on military bases.

During an appearance on “Fox News Sunday,” the Texas Republican called for more guns on military bases in light of last week’s shooting at Fort Hood, which left four dead, including shooter Spc. Ivan Lopez. Sixteen others were sounded.

Last week’s shooting — added to the list of previous shootings at military bases, including a 2009 shooting at Fort Hood and last year’s shooting at Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. — “requires a review, a reanalysis of … protection policies,” he said.

“Senior leadership at these bases, officers and enlisted men that you can trust,” should be able to “at least carry” weapons as a way to prevent future shootings, McCaul said.

“That would be a deterrent, number one, and number two, a way to have a quick response to any shooter.”

McCaul also said that he would prefer higher levels of military police on bases ,but does not think that’s feasible under President Obama’s budget, which “takes us back to World War II levels.”

McCaul’s statements on Sunday go against statements from military officials who have backed the limits of guns on bases.

During the show, Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) said he would support allowing more guns on military bases if military officials called for the lifting of those limitations.

“If the military reassess and says that’s the right strategy, then I’m going to support it,” he said.

Kaine said he would question the motives of lifting gun limits on military bases if military officials support those limits.

“For those of us in Congress [to] say, here’s what they should do, I worry whether it would be political rather than about safety and security,” he said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: McCaul: Allow more guns on military bases
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:28:50 pm »
I think a would be shooter might be a little more reluctant knowing he's not the only one with a gun.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:32:52 pm »
I think a would be shooter might be a little more reluctant knowing he's not the only one with a gun.

Agree.  What they want is to go out in a blaze of glory - infamous for how many people they killed.  They might get a shot off and kill one or two - but when they are surrounded by armed soldiers, the number of murdered victims will be much less.  It's just common sense!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 11:20:13 pm »

Never understood the rationale behind that decision. Used to give us the giggles, to be honest. How can you be in uniform if you are unarmed?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 11:40:42 pm »
Never understood the rationale behind that decision. Used to give us the giggles, to be honest. How can you be in uniform if you are unarmed?

It's frankly STUPID! There should be at least SOME people armed in every unit of the military 24/7!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 11:59:52 pm »
It's frankly STUPID! There should be at least SOME people armed in every unit of the military 24/7!

I got the giggles again. You going to tell me with a straight face you didn't have a couple of hideaways?  :laugh:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:19:09 am »
I got the giggles again. You going to tell me with a straight face you didn't have a couple of hideaways?  :laugh:

Things were entirely different back then I'll assure you! And anyone who tried to pull something like what has happened at Ft. Hood back then would have had a life span measured in seconds!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:31:31 am »
Things were entirely different back then I'll assure you! And anyone who tried to pull something like what has happened at Ft. Hood back then would have had a life span measured in seconds!

Nice evasion, my brother.  :laugh: :laugh:

Don't go telling me you didn't have at least one gun and a couple blades tucked in easy reach at all times.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 12:42:10 am »
Nice evasion, my brother.  :laugh: :laugh:

Don't go telling me you didn't have at least one gun and a couple blades tucked in easy reach at all times.

I don't think I evaded anything. Anyone who tried anything like this would have been DEAD in a matter of seconds! I don't think I need to spell it out any further than that!

We invented don't ask do't tell! No one asked what I was carrying and I didn't tell!

:beer:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:45:13 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 12:52:53 am »

Except you are not dealing with a rational person, you are dealing with a nutjob.  And on every military base there are armed personnel responsible for police duties.  Arming everyone on a military base solves nothing, and would in fact rapidly increase the number of accidental shootings and all kinds of other problems, which is why military arms are kept in an armory.

This incident was an exception, not a rule.  Anyone who thinks letting soldiers pack military arms around, on base, during peacetime, in the Continental US, does not understand Posse Comitatus, the Constitution, the Law, Law enforcement, basic firearms safety, weapons accountability, accident prevention, and a whole other range of serious topics that (thankfully) prevent the military from making such an irresponsible and dangerous decision.

:smokin:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 01:00:50 am »
 :beer: :beer:

Hy - what the brass doesn't know doesn't chafe their ass.  :whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 02:19:19 am »
Chieftan wrote above:
[[ does not understand Posse Comitatus... ]]

Nothing wrong with your post above, but I kind of wonder if the concept of Posse Comitatus has been rendered all-but meaningless, considering the sweeping "militarization" of many police forces, the increase of SWAT units everywhere, particularly in civilian agencies that up until a few years ago never had them....