Author Topic: Nun Faces Backlash for Criticizing Homosexuality to Catholic School Students  (Read 436 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/04/04/Gay-Comments-Land-Nun-in-Boiling-Water

A religious sister from the highly respected Nashville Dominicans has come under attack from liberal Catholic parents and students who objected to her lecture on same-sex attraction and divorce at a Catholic high school in the Diocese of Charlotte, North Carolina.

Though no tape has surfaced from the talk, students afterward told their parents that Sister Jane Dominic Laurel talked about the causes of homosexuality, saying it was not inborn but likely the cause of psychological factors. They also say she presented data showing that children raised in same-sex parent households are more likely to end up as same-sex-attracted than children raised in more traditional households.

It is reported Sister Laurel also talked about the greater chance at life success that children have who come from households headed by the child’s biological mother and father in a lifelong commitment of marriage.

Sister Laurel holds a doctorate in theology from the Pontifical University of the Angelicum in Rome, one of the oldest schools in the world and the one that produced one of the world’s greatest theologians, St. Thomas Aquinas – also a Dominican like Sister Laurel.

Sister Laurel has reportedly given similar talks a few dozen times all over the country all without incident. It is reported that some of the data she used came from the highly respected Anscombe Bioethics Centre in Great Britain. Most of the the nun's talks are up at her webpage.

Much of what Sister Laurel spoke about comes directly from the Universal Catechism of the Catholic Church and should have been unremarkable given that she was talking at a Catholic high school; not so. The negative reaction was swift and overwhelming.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

It is reported Sister Laurel also talked about the greater chance at life success that children have who come from households headed by the child’s biological mother and father in a lifelong commitment of marriage.

Can anyone here imagine that this basic truth would ever cause an angry outcry that would be taken seriously?

Eventually, if carried to its logical extreme.  ALL of us who believe that marriage is between a man and woman and dare to say so will be at great risk.

These are trying times, for sure.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ Eventually, if carried to its logical extreme.  ALL of us who believe that marriage is between a man and woman and dare to say so will be at great risk. ]]

A quote I've posted before, but it's appropriate here:
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
- George Orwell

Offline musiclady

[[ Eventually, if carried to its logical extreme.  ALL of us who believe that marriage is between a man and woman and dare to say so will be at great risk. ]]

A quote I've posted before, but it's appropriate here:
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
- George Orwell

It's a great quote and VERY appropriate here.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.