Author Topic: Gowdy: Dem Rep. Complaints About Six-Figure Salary 'Laughable'  (Read 278 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=563827

Gowdy: Dem Rep. Complaints About Six-Figure Salary 'Laughable'
Friday, April 4, 2014 10:59 PM

South Carolina Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy Friday called it "laughable" that lawmakers are underpaid, blasting veteran Virginia Democratic Rep. Jim Moran complaints about a six-figure salary for a job that's "priceless."

“I know a lot of people in the world that are underpaid — in fact I live with one, who’s a schoolteacher,” Gowdy told FOX News host Greta Van Susteren in an interview posted by Mediaite.

“But members of Congress are incredibly blessed ... to have the jobs that we have. Nobody makes us run. Every two years we offer for public office, and if you don’t want to do it then don’t run.”

Twenty-four-year veteran Moran, who is retiring at the end of the year, groused Thursday lawmakers are “underpaid” and that many cannot “afford to live decently.”

Gowdy called that hogwash. “The notion that you can make $174,000 in this country and be underpaid is laughable,” he added. “We are better off than 99.9 percent of the people we claim to work for. And I would be embarrassed to say that — given our job performance and our salary — that we are anything other than grossly overcompensated.”

He told Van Susteren “plenty of Democrats” agree with him, adding: “I don’t know any colleagues on either side of the aisle… who would tell anyone that they deserve a pay raise.”
Moran, Gowdy said, is “a majority of one, if he believes that.”

“Public service means you give something up," he added. “You get compensation in other way. You get the benefit of working in the Capitol, of being part of history, of being able to vote for your fellow citizens — all of which is priceless.”

But Moran dug in Friday, ABC News reported.

“There are too many members of Congress who are having to sleep in their offices, making too much sacrifice,” he told radio station WTOP, ABC News reported.

Republican Texas Rep. Joe Barton, who told ABC News he lives paycheck to paycheck, said there should be an annual cost of living increase “when the inflation rate triggers it.”

“I don’t think we should continue to have increases when the rest of the country is in recession or we haven’t had a depression in a long time, but on the other hand, over time you do need to get these inflationary adjustments,” he said.

“Some members are well-to-do before they get here but the whole point of the People’s House is to let the average person have a chance to be a representative. We don’t deserve to make CEO-style salaries but, on the other hand, each of us represents 700,000 people. It’s a big responsibility.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Gowdy: Dem Rep. Complaints About Six-Figure Salary 'Laughable'
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:36:42 pm »
these morons can't make it on $174k a year, plus all the cushy benefits they get?  c'mon, get real.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Gowdy: Dem Rep. Complaints About Six-Figure Salary 'Laughable'
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:48:04 am »
wish I could make half of that

Well, they do have a minor point. 175K wouldn't pay my child support much less to live on that.

Joking, of course. What they are not telling you is how much they make on the side. Everybody who becomes a Congressman or Senator becomes a multi-millionaire, overnight. They sign up with $27,000 in savings, two months later they have $27M in savings. Happens every time.

Gee, I'm stupid...could someone tell me how that might happen? Because I'm stupid. I can't figure it out!

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.