Author Topic: Krauthammer calls for Mozilla counter boycott after company fired anti-gay marriage CEO  (Read 1554 times)

rangerrebew

Krauthammer calls for Mozilla ‘counter-boycott’ after company fired anti-gay marriage CEO

Posted By Brendan Bordelon On 9:18 PM 04/04/2014 In | No Comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8bHYp3AUQ&feature=player_embedded#t=0
Conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer called for Americans to affect a “counter-boycott” of Mozilla after the company fired their CEO for donating to an anti-gay marriage campaign, calling the move “totalitarian discourse” that “shows a level of intolerance that ought to be unacceptable.”

Krauthammer spoke on a Fox News panel with USA Today columnist Kirsten Powers and conservative columnist George Will, discussing Brendan Eich’s dismissal from popular web browser provider Mozilla after activists discovered he donated $1,000 to California’s Prop 8 campaign — which made gay marriage illegal in the state. Many gay activists boycotted Mozilla, leading to Eich’s eventual termination.

Will noted that Eich’s dismissal is “an illustration of a new phenomenon. No one likes sore losers, but now we have sore winners. The gay rights movement is winning — particularly with regard to same-sex marriage — with a speed and breadth that simply takes your breath away . . . Yet unsatisfied with victory, they seem to want to stamp out and punish people for their previous views.”

While explaining that homosexual vindictiveness stems from decades of persecution in American society, Powers nevertheless expressed unease at the witch hunt against Eich. “Where does this end?” she asked. “Are we gonna start now — suddenly people are going to want their CEO fired because they gave to something they don’t like, or they’re pro-abortion rights and they have pro-life employees? So I think it’s a little bit out of control.”

Krauthammer was furious. “This is the culture of the left not being satisfied with making an argument, or even prevailing in an argument, but in destroying personally and marginalizing people who oppose them,” he asserted. “In the same way that proponents of climate change declare the issue closed — it’s over, there’s no debate, it is settled science — and therefore anybody who is skeptical of that is considered anti-science, and is called a denier.”

“In the same way, people are now declaring that the national debate that we’ve had for a decade or two on gay marriage is closed, and anybody who opposes gay marriage is a bigot and should be written out of polite society, ostracized and should lose their jobs,” he continued.

“[Andrew Sullivan] calls it disgusting,” Krauthammer said. “He’s absolutely right. This is totalitarian discourse, and it shows a level of intolerance that is absolutely — it should be unacceptable, and people ought to get what they’re giving out and field a counter-boycott” (RELATED: Gay journalist Andrew Sullivan ‘disgusted’ by gay rights ‘fanaticism’ after Mozilla CEO resigns).

Follow Brendan on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/04/krauthammer-calls-for-mozilla-counter-boycott-after-company-fired-anti-gay-marriage-ceo/

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:40:19 am by rangerrebew »

Offline aligncare

It'll be tough uninstalling Firefox. IE sucks and Google Chrome wants to own your soul! There really are no good options to Mozilla.

Oceander

It'll be tough uninstalling Firefox. IE sucks and Google Chrome wants to own your soul! There really are no good options to Mozilla.

Yes there are.  First off there's Opera, which is going to the same underlying guts as Chrome (i.e., the same rendering engine) but without the tie-ins to Google.  There is also a stripped version of Chrome called Epic:  https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Unfortunately, the latest versions of Safari no longer run on Windows, but apparently version 6 does.  if you're using an older version of windows (XP or Vista) you might give that a try as well.

There is also SRWare Iron, which was developed using Chromium, which is the same base software code used by Google Chrome, but with the tracking stuff cut out

Wiki article:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron

SRWare site:  http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Most (all?) should be able to import your bookmarks and saved passwords from FF.  Give them a try and see what you think after using each one for a few days.

Offline aligncare

Thanks. Good info. You the man.

Oceander

Thanks. Good info. You the man.

certainly.  one of the things I really like is that there are several browsers that use the same core code that Chrome uses - which means they're just as good at rendering and whatnot - but come without all of the nosiness that Chrome is notorious for.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Couldn't have said it better!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

Couldn't have said it better!   :beer:

then you really need to get out more and check out the great alternatives.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
then you really need to get out more and check out the great alternatives.

At my age, it's difficult to accept change....and that's an understatement.

Perhaps I'll make the switch when the effect of the boycott can be demonstrated.

My sons and 'boss' bought me a Samsung "smart tv" yesterday for Father's Day.

"All you need to do is plug it in and connect the HDMI or something like that (cable)....and enter your network protocols...."

.....and that was the end of that!   "PROTOCOLS"??    ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

Yes there are.  First off there's Opera, which is going to the same underlying guts as Chrome (i.e., the same rendering engine) but without the tie-ins to Google.  There is also a stripped version of Chrome called Epic:  https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Unfortunately, the latest versions of Safari no longer run on Windows, but apparently version 6 does.  if you're using an older version of windows (XP or Vista) you might give that a try as well.

There is also SRWare Iron, which was developed using Chromium, which is the same base software code used by Google Chrome, but with the tracking stuff cut out

Most (all?) should be able to import your bookmarks and saved passwords from FF.  Give them a try and see what you think after using each one for a few days.

I'm saving this information for future use and links.

Thanks!   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline SouthTexas

I still see this as burning the barn down because someone left the gate open and the cows got out.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

I uninstalled Firefox and last night I installed the Epic Browser.  I'm using it now and will see how it works.  I really like the privacy aspect of it. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

I uninstalled Firefox. I'm on Chrome.

The Mozilla Board of Directors has allowed gay thugs to own their company's soul, and if the thugs are allowed to get away with that, owning our minds isn't far behind.

I don't have a problem with same-sex marriage, but I have a problem with thuggery and those who don't stand up to it.

“Yet there is one experience which most sincere ex-Communists share, whether or not they go only part way to the end of the question it poses. The daughter of a former German diplomat in Moscow was trying to explain to me why her father, who, as an enlightened modern man, had been extremely pro-Communist, had become an implacable anti-Communist. It was hard for her because, as an enlightened modern girl, she shared the Communist vision without being a Communist. But she loved her father and the irrationality of his defection embarrassed her. 'He was immensely pro-Soviet,' she said,' and then -- you will laugh at me -- but you must not laugh at my father -- and then -- one night -- in Moscow -- he heard screams. That's all. Simply one night he heard screams.'

A child of Reason and the 20th century, she knew that there is a logic of the mind. She did not know that the soul has a logic that may be more compelling than the mind's. She did not know at all that she had swept away the logic of the mind, the logic of history, the logic of politics, the myth of the 20th century, with five annihilating words: one night he heard screams." ― Whittaker Chambers, Witness

I won't wait until I hear screams, albeit allegorical screams, to make even the most minimal effort at protesting thuggery of any kind because it posses an inconvenience to me.

Real screams are often not far behind the allegorical ones.

José Martí is Cuba's greatest hero, the equivalent of any American Founding Father. A warrior poet who died on the battlefield fighting for Cuba's independence he once said:

"Es un pecado no hacer lo que uno es capaz de hacer."

"It is a sin not to do what one is capable of doing."

This, I can do.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:22:48 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
If anyone is interested, you can go completely off the grid.

The Tor Browser Bundle.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:25:46 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
They fired him because of outrage all over the internet. There was a huge outcry to boycott Firefox all over the place because of this guy, so I guess I'm not too surprised to see that they got rid of him. It's kind of humorous that there is now an outcry to boycott from the other direction. Firefox just can't seem to win here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:21:15 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline kevindavis007

The only time I use Firefox is when I have to develop on it. Can't recall the last time I used for normal browsing. I'm a Chrome user.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Oceander

The only time I use Firefox is when I have to develop on it. Can't recall the last time I used for normal browsing. I'm a Chrome user.

have you tried the other browsers that are based off of chrome?

Oceander

They fired him because of outrage all over the internet. There was a huge outcry to boycott Firefox all over the place because of this guy, so I guess I'm not too surprised to see that they got rid of him. It's kind of humorous that there is now an outcry to boycott from the other direction. Firefox just can't seem to win here.

Which is the whole idea:  if you step into it, you step into it and you'd better be prepared to take all the heat the kitchen has to offer.  which is why most businesses prefer to remain agnostic when it comes to social issues.

Offline kevindavis007

have you tried the other browsers that are based off of chrome?

To be honest no..  We develop based on how popular the browsers are...

Oceander

To be honest no..  We develop based on how popular the browsers are...

understood.  do you do any work with Opera?

Offline kevindavis007

understood.  do you do any work with Opera?

Far as I know we don't.. We go by popularity..

Offline olde north church

It should go beyond a return boycott of a browser, it should go to targeted boycotts of certain products, say Sam Adams brewing and a few others.  There should be no mistake what is going on.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline kevindavis007

It should go beyond a return boycott of a browser, it should go to targeted boycotts of certain products, say Sam Adams brewing and a few others.  There should be no mistake what is going on.

I'm done with Sam Adams Beer.. There are a lot of other Micro brews in this country.

Oceander

Far as I know we don't.. We go by popularity..

So Chrome, Firefox, and IE, correct?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Which is the whole idea:  if you step into it, you step into it and you'd better be prepared to take all the heat the kitchen has to offer.  which is why most businesses prefer to remain agnostic when it comes to social issues.

Then of course, there is Chick-fil-A:

NEW YORK — Chick-fil-A widened its lead over rival KFC as the No. 1 chicken chain in the U.S. last year.

Preliminary data from food industry researcher Technomic shows that Atlanta-based Chick-Fil-A held the lead because its locations are much busier, even though there are far fewer of them.
Chick-fil-A first surpassed KFC as the top chicken chain in 2012. KFC is still much bigger globally.

KFC, owned by Yum Brands Inc., has been struggling in recent years, despite a variety of new menu items like boneless chicken pieces and snack cups designed to fit in a car cup holder. It even began testing a more upscale restaurant concept called "KFC eleven." Sales at established locations nevertheless fell 2 percent last year.

Chick-fil-A, which has its heaviest presence in the South, has developed a loyal following for its fried chicken sandwiches. Unlike KFC, the chain also offers a breakfast menu, giving it another way to boost sales.

Chick-fil-A total U.S. sales have been growing steadily over the years and narrowing the gap with KFC, which has been suffering declines as it trims its store count.

Last year, Chick-fil-A had 1,775 locations and pulled in $5.05 billion in sales, according to Technomic. KFC had 4,438 stores that brought in $4.22 billion in U.S. sales.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/chick-fil-a-beats-kfc-top-chicken-chain-article-1.1741947#ixzz2y2FsiV2a

Less than half as many stores in the U.S., open six days a week rather than seven, stands up to thugs, and wins the market.

There's a lot to be said for being true to one's personal beliefs and not allowing others to browbeat you because of them.

Offline SouthTexas

Then of course, there is Chick-fil-A:

Less than half as many stores in the U.S., open six days a week rather than seven, stands up to thugs, and wins the market.

There's a lot to be said for being true to one's personal beliefs and not allowing others to browbeat you because of them.

And it also shows where the majority of the country stands.