Author Topic: Krauthammer calls for Mozilla counter boycott after company fired anti-gay marriage CEO  (Read 879 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 06:40:19 AM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline aligncare

It'll be tough uninstalling Firefox. IE sucks and Google Chrome wants to own your soul! There really are no good options to Mozilla.
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
It'll be tough uninstalling Firefox. IE sucks and Google Chrome wants to own your soul! There really are no good options to Mozilla.

Yes there are.  First off there's Opera, which is going to the same underlying guts as Chrome (i.e., the same rendering engine) but without the tie-ins to Google.  There is also a stripped version of Chrome called Epic:  https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Unfortunately, the latest versions of Safari no longer run on Windows, but apparently version 6 does.  if you're using an older version of windows (XP or Vista) you might give that a try as well.

There is also SRWare Iron, which was developed using Chromium, which is the same base software code used by Google Chrome, but with the tracking stuff cut out

Wiki article:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron

SRWare site:  http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

Most (all?) should be able to import your bookmarks and saved passwords from FF.  Give them a try and see what you think after using each one for a few days.

Offline aligncare

Thanks. Good info. You the man.
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Thanks. Good info. You the man.

certainly.  one of the things I really like is that there are several browsers that use the same core code that Chrome uses - which means they're just as good at rendering and whatnot - but come without all of the nosiness that Chrome is notorious for.

Offline DCPatriot

Couldn't have said it better!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Couldn't have said it better!   :beer:

then you really need to get out more and check out the great alternatives.

Offline DCPatriot

then you really need to get out more and check out the great alternatives.

At my age, it's difficult to accept change....and that's an understatement.

Perhaps I'll make the switch when the effect of the boycott can be demonstrated.

My sons and 'boss' bought me a Samsung "smart tv" yesterday for Father's Day.

"All you need to do is plug it in and connect the HDMI or something like that (cable)....and enter your network protocols...."

.....and that was the end of that!   "PROTOCOLS"??    ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Online musiclady

Yes there are.  First off there's Opera, which is going to the same underlying guts as Chrome (i.e., the same rendering engine) but without the tie-ins to Google.  There is also a stripped version of Chrome called Epic:  https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Unfortunately, the latest versions of Safari no longer run on Windows, but apparently version 6 does.  if you're using an older version of windows (XP or Vista) you might give that a try as well.

There is also SRWare Iron, which was developed using Chromium, which is the same base software code used by Google Chrome, but with the tracking stuff cut out

Most (all?) should be able to import your bookmarks and saved passwords from FF.  Give them a try and see what you think after using each one for a few days.

I'm saving this information for future use and links.

Thanks!   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline SouthTexas

I still see this as burning the barn down because someone left the gate open and the cows got out.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

I uninstalled Firefox and last night I installed the Epic Browser.  I'm using it now and will see how it works.  I really like the privacy aspect of it. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:22:48 PM by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
If anyone is interested, you can go completely off the grid.

The Tor Browser Bundle.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:25:46 PM by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Dexter

They fired him because of outrage all over the internet. There was a huge outcry to boycott Firefox all over the place because of this guy, so I guess I'm not too surprised to see that they got rid of him. It's kind of humorous that there is now an outcry to boycott from the other direction. Firefox just can't seem to win here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:21:15 PM by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline kevindavis

The only time I use Firefox is when I have to develop on it. Can't recall the last time I used for normal browsing. I'm a Chrome user.
To Clear things up...

Mueller has been one of the most respected individuals on the planet over the last 20 years.

Mueller is a Republican

Mueller was appointed by Republicans

Mueller doesn't determine if someone is guilty, The Judge and Jury do!

Get it!!!!

“You can go to live in France, but you can't become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany, but you can't become a German... But anyone, from any corner of the world, can come to live in the United States and become an American.”

- Ronald Reagan

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
The only time I use Firefox is when I have to develop on it. Can't recall the last time I used for normal browsing. I'm a Chrome user.

have you tried the other browsers that are based off of chrome?

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
They fired him because of outrage all over the internet. There was a huge outcry to boycott Firefox all over the place because of this guy, so I guess I'm not too surprised to see that they got rid of him. It's kind of humorous that there is now an outcry to boycott from the other direction. Firefox just can't seem to win here.

Which is the whole idea:  if you step into it, you step into it and you'd better be prepared to take all the heat the kitchen has to offer.  which is why most businesses prefer to remain agnostic when it comes to social issues.

Offline kevindavis

have you tried the other browsers that are based off of chrome?

To be honest no..  We develop based on how popular the browsers are...
To Clear things up...

Mueller has been one of the most respected individuals on the planet over the last 20 years.

Mueller is a Republican

Get it!!!!

“You can go to live in France, but you can't become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany, but you can't become a German... But anyone, from any corner of the world, can come to live in the United States and become an American.”

- Ronald Reagan

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati

To be honest no..  We develop based on how popular the browsers are...

understood.  do you do any work with Opera?

Offline kevindavis

understood.  do you do any work with Opera?

Far as I know we don't.. We go by popularity..
To Clear things up...

Mueller is a Republican

Get it!!!!

- Ronald Reagan

Offline olde north church

It should go beyond a return boycott of a browser, it should go to targeted boycotts of certain products, say Sam Adams brewing and a few others.  There should be no mistake what is going on.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline kevindavis

It should go beyond a return boycott of a browser, it should go to targeted boycotts of certain products, say Sam Adams brewing and a few others.  There should be no mistake what is going on.

I'm done with Sam Adams Beer.. There are a lot of other Micro brews in this country.
To Clear things up...

Mueller is a Republican

Get it!!!!

- Ronald Reagan

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati

Far as I know we don't.. We go by popularity..

So Chrome, Firefox, and IE, correct?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Offline SouthTexas

Then of course, there is Chick-fil-A:

Less than half as many stores in the U.S., open six days a week rather than seven, stands up to thugs, and wins the market.

There's a lot to be said for being true to one's personal beliefs and not allowing others to browbeat you because of them.

And it also shows where the majority of the country stands.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf