Author Topic: Too much running tied to shorter lifespan, studies find  (Read 293 times)

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Too much running tied to shorter lifespan, studies find
« on: April 04, 2014, 11:11:58 PM »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: Too much running tied to shorter lifespan, studies find
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:12:07 PM »
Vindication!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:56:55 PM »
I've been saying this for quite some time.  I don't know how many local runs have been marred by someone dropping dead from a heart attack.  And now, they've come out with a report that saturated fats are not the evil culprit they once thought.  I've always known that wasn't true because my grandparents ate loads of saturated fats and lived to be in their nineties.  Of course, they weren't overweight because they always stayed busy and worked hard.  It's the sedentary lifestyle combined with processed foods that is the killer of modern man (plus the over-reliance on prescription drugs).
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 06:22:08 AM »
High mileage runners will ignore these findings. The controversy is not new and has been argued in the world of elite runners for decades.

I treat running injuries and one thing I can tell you it's nearly impossible to get runners to stop running long enough to heal. A patient will drop out of care at the first sign I'm advising rest in their case. They are addicted to endorphins. So, I try to find ways to treat them while they continue to run.

My days of high mileage are over. I do a lot more walking now due to accumulation of injuries in recent years.
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:35:36 AM »
By the way, alice, I agree saturated fat is not an issue. Accompanied by an active lifestyle it's how humans evolved. However, today our lives are out of balance with nature. I agree processed foods and sedentary lifestyle are the killers.
NeverTrump wants to deny you YOUR voice, YOUR presidential choice.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
Mr. M is a runner who has completed several (over a dozen) marathons. When he was a young man, he ran over 100 miles per week. That took a toll on his knees, to say the least. Now he does closer to 22 - when the knees and Achilles tendons permit it.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
Mr. M is a runner who has completed several (over a dozen) marathons. When he was a young man, he ran over 100 miles per week. That took a toll on his knees, to say the least. Now he does closer to 22 - when the knees and Achilles tendons permit it.

I have a cousin at a little remove who was a marathon freak who ran until his knees and heels began to degenerate.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »

Hot baths. I know the US thing is more towards showers, and those are fair enough for getting clean. A hot bath after a workout or a run reduces damage. It relaxes everything, so the little micro tears in the tendons and muscles don't swell as much.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf