Author Topic: Military drone crashes near Fort Indiantown Gap (Pennsylvania National Guard)  (Read 619 times)

Online mountaineer

I'd like to see how much it damaged the civilian vehicle!
Military drone crashes near Fort Indiantown Gap
April 4, 2014 6:54 AM
Associated Press via Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

JONESTOWN, Pa. — Military officials say an unmanned aerial vehicle, commonly known as a drone, crashed near a central Pennsylvania school and a hotel.

Department of Military and Veterans Affairs spokeswoman Joan Nissley said no one was injured when the RQ-7 Shadow drone crashed around 3:30 p.m. Thursday in Lebanon County and was run over by a civilian vehicle.

Ms. Nissley said the aircraft crashed during training operations at nearby Fort Indiantown Gap. It came down on Fischer Avenue, between Lickdale Elementary School and a Comfort Inn.

The drone weighs 375 pounds and has a 15-foot wingspan. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

The Pennsylvania National Guard trains three brigades on the use of 12 drones at Fort Indiantown Gap.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
That's very nearby my home.  Fortunately, it wasn't my car.  I wonder if the drone searched for a car with a Tea Party bumper sticker to crash into?  Programmed by the IRS, no less.  Or am I just being paranoid?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:16:16 pm by massadvj »

Online mountaineer

Nope, quite rational, VM.

The vehicle reported minor damages and the drone, an RQ-7 Shadow worth $125,000, was destroyed. It is used for real-time observation and is one of the largest unmanned aircraft that is operated. ...

The RQ-7 Shadow weighs approximately 375 pounds and is approximately 11 feet long and has a wingspan of 14 feet.

In the press release, the base says it presently conducts training operations with the RQ-7 Shadow and RQ-11 Raven unmanned aerial vehicles out of Fort Indiantown Gap over the installation’s approved airspace.
WGAL

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SouthTexas

Wait until they get the bill for destroying government property!

Oceander

Wait until they get the bill for destroying government property!

:bigsilly: