Author Topic: Hillary: 'media is the principal propagator' of the double standard against women  (Read 274 times)

rangerrebew

Hillary: 'Media is the Principal Propagator' of the Double Standard Against Women

"And I think the media needs to be more self-consciously aware of that."

|
 Trey Sanchez |

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo1zsR4GHF8&feature=player_embedded#t=0

During Thursday's Women in the World summit in New York, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton blamed the media for propagating gender-based stereotypes and for furthering the double standard against women, saying:

“The way women are treated is often now much subtler but no less damaging -- not only for the individual woman, but for the economy as a whole.

Moderator and New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman asked Clinton, "Is there still a double standard in the media about how we talk about women in public life?"

Clinton responded:

“There is a double standard, obviously. We have all either experienced it, or at the very least, seen it. And there is a deep set of cultural, psychological views that are manifest through this double standard...

...And that's why it's important that we surface them and why we talk about them and help men and women recognize when they are crossing over from an individual judgment -- which we are all prone to make and have a right to make about somebody, man or woman -- into a stereotype; into applying some kind of gender-based characterization of a person.

So, yeah, the double standard is alive and well and I think in many respects, the media is the principal propagator of its persistence. And I think the media needs to be more self-consciously aware of that.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/hillary-media-principal-propagator-double-standard-against-women
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:35:46 am by rangerrebew »

Offline aligncare

:silly:

Hillary? The woman who rode into public life on her husband's coattails and stood by her man when he cheated on her, which was often, so that her gravy train could continue?