Author Topic: Islamic group gets go-ahead to cut crosses off NY church  (Read 412 times)

Oceander

Islamic group gets go-ahead to cut crosses off NY church
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:46:31 am »
FoxNews

Islamic group gets go-ahead to cut crosses off NY church

Published April 03, 2014
Associated Press

SYRACUSE, N.Y. –  A city board on Thursday gave a Muslim group the go-ahead to remove six crosses from the roof and spires of a century-old former Catholic church so the now-vacant Gothic structure can be used as a mosque.

More than 200 people had signed an online petition calling on the Syracuse Landmark Preservation Board to deny an application by North Side Learning Center, the church's new owner, to remove the crosses and build a six-foot chain-link fence.

Before the vote to allow the church alterations, Chairman Don Radke said the board cannot interfere with a decision that involves religious freedom.

About a dozen people who spoke at the meeting were evenly divided for and against the church conversion, The Post-Standard reported.

Petition-signers, who included some local residents and former church parishioners, had argued that the former Holy Trinity Catholic Church was a neighborhood landmark built by German immigrants 100 years ago and removing the crosses would deface the architecture.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse closed the church in 2010 and merged the parish with that of St. John the Baptist because of a declining congregation as population shifted from the city to suburbs. The North Side Learning Center, a nonprofit group that provides literacy programs for immigrants, bought the church and its school and rectory for $150,000 in December.

Yusuf Soule, the center's director, has been the public point-person for the mosque effort. He said the crosses must be removed because the Islamic faith prohibits worship of idols and symbols.

A report by the nonprofit Onondaga Citizens League last summer said more than 7,200 refugees have resettled in the Syracuse area over the past 10 years, with the majority from Burma, Bhutan and Somalia.

Oceander

Re: Islamic group gets go-ahead to cut crosses off NY church
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 03:47:09 am »
Yusuf Soule, the center's director, has been the public point-person for the mosque effort. He said the crosses must be removed because the Islamic faith prohibits worship of idols and symbols.

Pot.

Kettle.

Black.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:18:11 am »

Yes, maybe, but they do believe in shooting little girls for going to school, throwing acid in the face of women for wearing lipstick, and enslaving or beheading what they call 'Infidels' for blasphemy.

Yeah, but a cross, no way. We can't have that. That is way out of bounds. I agree with taking the cross down when Muslims are about. Having these animals worship under a cross would be an insult to the cross.

The only questions I have are, who sold it to them? Why didn't the Christians burn it down after they left? Me personally, I would burn it before I would sell it to Muslims. But that's just me.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 09:21:45 pm »
A suggestion, for those who find this as offensive as I:

Over here we have heritage laws. Listed buildings may not have their exteriors (and sometimes interiors) modified in any way. Any repairs to the exteriors of the buildings must be done with period specific materials and techniques, and they must be done in such a way that, after a suitable period for weathering, the repairs are indistinguishable from the original.

The penalties for not doing this range from fines, to forfeiture, to prison.

If your state does not have a law like this - push for it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 11:26:01 pm »
A suggestion, for those who find this as offensive as I:

Over here we have heritage laws. Listed buildings may not have their exteriors (and sometimes interiors) modified in any way. Any repairs to the exteriors of the buildings must be done with period specific materials and techniques, and they must be done in such a way that, after a suitable period for weathering, the repairs are indistinguishable from the original.

The penalties for not doing this range from fines, to forfeiture, to prison.

If your state does not have a law like this - push for it.

Exactly..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/