Author Topic: Poll: John Wayne 7th Most Popular Star; Beats Clooney, Streep, Damon, Penn  (Read 716 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/04/03/35-years-after-death-john-wayne-still-top-movie-star

by John Nolte 3 Apr 2014, 11:07 AM PDT

Since 1994, when Harris first began polling a large sample (2,311 this year) of Americans with the simple question "Who is your favorite movie star?", only one actor has made the top ten every year and only one actor has made it posthumously: John Wayne. In 2014, The Duke did it again, placing 7th -- holding the same spot he held last year.

The man dubbed by the elite as "The Last Movie Star" -- George Clooney  -- fell off the poll completely. After a comeback year at the movies, Tom Hanks returned to the top spot he enjoyed in 2004 and 2005. Denzel Washington dropped from number 1 to number 2. Landing on the poll for the first time, Jennifer Lawrence topped all the gals at number 3.

Sean Penn and Matt Damon have never placed in the top 10.

Here are the full results.

1. Tom Hanks

2. Denzel Washington 

3. Jennifer Lawrence

4. Julia Roberts

5. Sandra Bullock

6. Johnny Depp

7. John Wayne

8. Clint Eastwood

9. Brad Pitt

10. Meryl Streep

It is obvious that 35 years after his death from cancer in 1979, John Wayne still lives on in the imagination of a large swath of the American people. Wayne's films are still popular enough to broadcast regularly on cable and enjoy home video releases in whatever new format is currently hot. Great acting, compelling stories, and universal themes about self-sacrifice, right and wrong, human liberty, and what it means to be a man still resonate.

Obviously Wayne can't hold on to this streak forever, but no other movie star will ever come close to equaling it. If anyone does, though, it will only be Clint Eastwood.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Is that you John Wayne?

Is this me?

:beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Welsh-American. Prolific actor.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LottieDah

I worked with a liberal idiot who did not like John Wayne because "he killed Native American's" in the movies he made.  I told her, "no, he killed Italians from the Bronx and Brooklyn in the movies."  As Bugs Bunny would say, "what a maroon".

Offline mountaineer

I worked with a liberal idiot who did not like John Wayne because "he killed Native American's" in the movies he made.  I told her, "no, he killed Italians from the Bronx and Brooklyn in the movies."  As Bugs Bunny would say, "what a maroon".
:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
What, Morgan Freeman didn't make the top 10?

Got to admit to not being a huge fan of John Wayne as an actor.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Paul Newman is another that deserves to be ranked very high.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What, Morgan Freeman didn't make the top 10?

Got to admit to not being a huge fan of John Wayne as an actor.

BLASPHEMY!!!!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34