Author Topic: House GOP sets first vote to hold Lois Lerner in contempt over IRS targeting  (Read 451 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/3/house-gop-sets-first-vote-hold-lois-lerner-contemp/?page=all#pagebreak

By Stephen Dinan

-

The Washington Times

Updated: 1:34 p.m. on Thursday, April 3, 2014

House Republicans said Thursday that they’ll vote in committee next week to hold Lois G. Lerner in contempt of Congress for refusing to testify about her role in the IRS’s tea party targeting scandal.

Rep. Darrell Issa, the House’s top investigator, said that as a senior official at the center of the agency’s targeting, Ms. Lerner must either talk or face penalties.

“Ms. Lerner’s involvement in wrongdoing and refusal to meet her legal obligations has left the Committee with no alternative but to consider a contempt finding,” he said.

Mr. Issa has scheduled a Thursday vote in the House Oversight Committee on a contempt resolution, which if it is approved would then be sent to the full House floor.

Whether Ms. Lerner could be held in contempt has been the subject of heated legal debate.

Some legal scholars argue Mr. Issa botched a March 4 hearing with Ms. Lerner by not telling her she faced consequences if she continued to assert her Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination.

The oversight committee has ruled that Ms. Lerner waived that right because she delivered a statement declaring her innocence before refusing to answer further questions.

But the House’s chief lawyer has written a memo saying Ms. Lerner and her lawyer were aware of the consequences of refusing to testify.

Rep. Darrell Issa, the House’s top investigator, said that as a senior official at the center of the agency’s targeting, Ms. Lerner must either talk or face penalties.

“Ms. Lerner’s involvement in wrongdoing and refusal to meet her legal obligations has left the Committee with no alternative but to consider a contempt finding,” he said.

Mr. Issa has scheduled a Thursday vote in the House Oversight Committee on a contempt resolution, which if it is approved would then be sent to the full House floor.

Ms. Lerner ran the IRS’s division that oversaw nonprofit groups’ applications for tax-exempt status. That’s the branch that reviewed, delayed, and in many cases posed intrusive questions to tea party and other conservative groups who were seeking tax-exempt status.

She was allowed to retire in September, despite the investigation into her behavior, but Congress has obtained a number of emails from her time at the IRS that, Republican lawmakers contend, show Ms. Lerner was intent on stopping conservative groups from using the tax-exempt status to play a role in politics.

Whether Ms. Lerner could be held in contempt has been the subject of heated legal debate.

Some legal scholars argue Mr. Issa botched a March 4 hearing with Ms. Lerner by not telling her she faced consequences if she continued to assert her Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination.

The oversight committee has ruled that Ms. Lerner waived that right because she delivered a statement declaring her innocence before refusing to answer further questions.

But the House’s chief lawyer has written a memo saying Ms. Lerner and her lawyer were aware of the consequences of refusing to testify.

In his statement announcing the vote, Mr. Issa said contempt proceedings usually authorize both criminal and civil action.

The House GOP majority has already voted to cite Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. for contempt for his refusal to turn over documents related to Fast & Furious, the botched gun-walking operation that led to thousands of weapons going untraced and ending up in the hands of drug cartels.

Mr. Holder is still refusing to comply with the contempt citation, and that case is ensnarled in court proceedings.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

this should get interesting if the repubs stick to their guns

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The House already voted to hold Holder in contempt. Zero consequences. Lerner knows the threats against her are hollow.

She has most likely been advised to run out the clock until Jan. 2017, only just over 2.5 years from now.

With Hillary and her AG in power then, it will be ancient history.

Too bad the GOP wasted a shot at Impeachment on Clinton. Who would have guessed the next democrat would be truly worthy of Impeachment?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline speekinout

If Lois Lerner is held in contempt of Congress, what agency will punish her? DoJ? (As if)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
this should get interesting if the repubs stick to their guns

If What!? What was that!? If they show some spine? (like that is ever going to happen)

If I was in the politician Walmat which is known as Washington D.C., and wanted to buy a politician, I would pick up a Republican...thump it...squeeze it, and throw it back for being too soft.

If I was going to buy my sweetheart a politician for her birthday, I would pick a Democrat every time. They can look you straight in the eye and tell you the sky is orange, without blinking once. They never resign no matter if they are caught with a dead hooker and a young boy at the same time, and it is on video.

Democrats stick to whatever crazy ass bullshit they want to do, in the face of fact, reason, or reality. I think this is the definition of the word "tenacious". Republicans on the other hand, no so much...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

If What!? What was that!? If they show some spine? (like that is ever going to happen)

If I was in the politician Walmat which is known as Washington D.C., and wanted to buy a politician, I would pick up a Republican...thump it...squeeze it, and throw it back for being too soft.

If I was going to buy my sweetheart a politician for her birthday, I would pick a Democrat every time. They can look you straight in the eye and tell you the sky is orange, without blinking once. They never resign no matter if they are caught with a dead hooker and a young boy at the same time, and it is on video.

Democrats stick to whatever crazy ass bullshit they want to do, in the face of fact, reason, or reality. I think this is the definition of the word "tenacious". Republicans on the other hand, no so much...

That's why I said "if".