Author Topic: George Will on baseball  (Read 425 times)

Offline pjohns

George Will on baseball
« on: April 03, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:41:38 PM by pjohns »

Online DCPatriot

Re: George Will on baseball
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »
Thanks for posting this.

Had the pleasure of meeting him back in 1987.

When both he and Charles Krauthammer on on the Big-Hour Panel....it doesn't get any better.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline pjohns

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 07:22:25 PM »
Thanks for posting this.

Had the pleasure of meeting him back in 1987.

When both he and Charles Krauthammer on on the Big-Hour Panel....it doesn't get any better.

And thanks for the response.

Yes, George Will and Charles Krauthammer on the same panel--who are very good friends of each other, by the way--is about as good as it gets.

Oh, on  tonight's Special Report on FNC, George Will repeated a joke (which I had never before heard). It goes like this:

Question: What do the Chicago Cubs and the Miami Marlins have in common?

Answer: Neither has ever won a World Series in its new ballpark.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »
Are you an avid baseball fan, pjohns?

Crazy about it.  Gave me my foundation.....well, that, and the Sisters of Mercy.  LOL!

:beer:

It is amazing how throwing the 1st pitch for a strike has such an effect on the AB.   I've followed that stat for a long while....since I read Will and Boswell.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline pjohns

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »
Are you an avid baseball fan, pjohns?

Well, nominally.

When I was younger, I considered the game too slow-moving to be enjoyable.

Now, however--perhaps it is just because I am growing older--rapid-fire play is no longer necessary to entertain me.  The cerebral nature of baseball--looking upon each new pitch as a discrete entity, dependent upon the ball-strike count; the number of outs already achieved; and the runners' position on base (if any)--is increasingly appealing to me. 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 05:00:05 PM »
Well, nominally.

When I was younger, I considered the game too slow-moving to be enjoyable.

Now, however--perhaps it is just because I am growing older--rapid-fire play is no longer necessary to entertain me.  The cerebral nature of baseball--looking upon each new pitch as a discrete entity, dependent upon the ball-strike count; the number of outs already achieved; and the runners' position on base (if any)--is increasingly appealing to me.

It was either George Will or Thomas Boswell who said, "Attending a [professional] baseball game is like going to church.  Many attend, but few [fully] understand".

And yet the game can be enjoyed on many different levels.  It doesn't matter how cerebral you want to become about it. 

...cause it comes down to two things....1) trying to hit the ball where they ain't.  2) Upsetting the hitter's timing on his swing.

Give me Opening Day and a fresh new season anytime...over the NFL.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
Courage?  COURAGE??

I'll tell you guyz what REAL courage is.

Throwing a change-up ...swinging strike, on your 1st pitch to B.J. Upton IN THE 8TH INNING with a one-run lead.

PS:  NATS up 2-1 over ATLANTA in the 9th.  Desmond hit a gargantuan HR on a 102 mph fastball .....that STILL hasn't come down.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:43:51 AM »

David Ortiz was handed this baby as he was signing autographs....then the Star Spangled Banner started playing.    :beer:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf