Author Topic: Fort Hood gunman Ivan Lopez sought mental health treatment  (Read 1335 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Fort Hood gunman Ivan Lopez sought mental health treatment
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:19:01 pm »
Fort Hood gunman Ivan Lopez sought mental health treatment

FORT HOOD, Texas - An Iraq War veteran being treated for mental illness was the gunman who opened fire at Fort Hood, killing three people and wounding 16 others before committing suicide, in an attack on the same Texas military base where more than a dozen people were slain in 2009, authorities said.

Within hours of the Wednesday attack, investigators started looking into whether the man's combat experience had caused lingering psychological trauma. Fort Hood's senior officer, Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, said the gunman had sought help for depression, anxiety and other problems.

Among the possibilities investigators planned to explore was whether a fight or argument on the base triggered the attack.

more at:   http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/fort-hood-gunman-ivan-lopez-sought-mental-health-treatment-1.7593413

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Fort Hood gunman Ivan Lopez sought mental health treatment
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:25:07 pm »
It has been reported that he tried to apply for a disability entitlement for a "self-reported" brain injury.

.....I lived up the street from a New York State transplant (based upon the license plates on his Mercedes and fully tricked-out truck....and Harley Davidson).

He set up his two car garage as a gym...and invited his buddies to work out.  He could bench 400 lbs.

When he came over to shoot some 9-ball one day, he told me he was on permanent disability for the Army....some sort of PTS or something.

Two plus two still equals four.....doesn't it?   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 02:19:14 pm »
I read somewhere else on the internet this morning that the shooter only served four months in Iraq and that he was a truck driver, and not in actual "combat". 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 02:22:32 pm »
I read somewhere else on the internet this morning that the shooter only served four months in Iraq and that he was a truck driver, and not in actual "combat".

There are no front lines in Iraq/Afghanistan; they use hit and run tactics that put all combat personnel at risk. Truck driving is one of the highest risk jobs in a combat zone.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 02:23:05 pm »

Yep.....same as my oldest son, who drove fuel trucks during the 1st Gulf War in 1990-91.

I think the lousy economy finds many people trying to scam the system in order to 'get by'. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 02:26:58 pm »
There are no front lines in Iraq/Afghanistan; they use hit and run tactics that put all combat personnel at risk. Truck driving is one of the highest risk jobs in a combat zone.

Exactly...there is no *safe zone* in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 02:32:15 pm »
Exactly...there is no *safe zone* in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Correct.   

My son carried fuel for tanks and other military vehicles during the invasion.

While he wasn't in combat "man to man", he was considered a high-value target by the enemy.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 02:33:48 pm »

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that - but it makes sense.  Still, four months doesn't seem very long to serve there - I wonder if he was injured or something. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 02:36:22 pm »
Correct.   

While he wasn't in combat "man to man", he was considered a high-value target by the enemy.

The fuel trucks are especially high-value because they are pretty easy targets. A lot of those trucks have little or no armor.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 02:38:57 pm »
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that - but it makes sense.  Still, four months doesn't seem very long to serve there - I wonder if he was injured or something.

Possibly, or maybe it has something to do with the mental health issues he was having.
-Socrates

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 03:39:36 pm »
Too many people are admitted to the military with pre existing problems. Being in combat zones exacerbates them.

My son wasn't in combat, but he told me about a rocket whizzing by him, and he spent a lot of nights in bunkers, and saw death on both sides. He said it was an awful experience for anyone.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 03:47:45 pm »
 The HIPAA Privacy Rule does not apply to the military?

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 06:27:55 pm »

Not arguing your point that truck driving in combat zones is high risk, but let’s not to be too eager to give him that distinction.      Another more recent story says this about his one tour of duty – “ had served one tour in Iraq in 2011 but did he did not have any recorded combat experience”.     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline happyg

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:01 pm »
His mental problems might not have anything to do with experiences in the military. I is most likely personal, and led to his mental defect.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:34 pm »
His mental problems might not have anything to do with experiences in the military. I is most likely personal, and led to his mental defect.

Exactly...plus the fact he was having problems sleeping and taking Ambein....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 06:41:10 pm »

almost certainly.  at most his experience would have been a catalyst that brought out the underlying disease.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 07:00:55 pm »
According to one Fox report, he was distressed over his mother's death.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 08:12:46 pm »
Correct.   

Your son gets my complete and total respect. Anyone brave enough to drive a bowser there has balls of steel, to say the least. At least with the other supply lorries there is the high chance that they'll want to keep it intact for the cargo. You have a chance against bullets. It's small but it's there. Fuel bowsers though - instant roadblocks when they go boom and they blow up rather easily.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 09:08:54 pm »
Once again we see that when seconds count the police are only minutes away!

Even if they refuse to allow CFL holders to carry there is no reason on earth why they cannot require that at least the O.D, C. Q., 1st Sgt. and Company Training Officer on duty should not be armed in every company sized unit on every post in the land!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »
Your son gets my complete and total respect. Anyone brave enough to drive a bowser there has balls of steel, to say the least. At least with the other supply lorries there is the high chance that they'll want to keep it intact for the cargo. You have a chance against bullets. It's small but it's there. Fuel bowsers though - instant roadblocks when they go boom and they blow up rather easily.

Thanks, EC.  :patriot: