Author Topic: Ella Birchenough, 16, becomes stuck in storm drain trying to retrieve iPhone she dropped in there  (Read 356 times)

Oceander

news.com.au

Ella Birchenough, 16, becomes stuck in storm drain trying to retrieve iPhone she dropped in there

3 hours ago April 03, 2014 11:54PM

IT CAN be a great inconvenience when your phone is drained, particularly if there is an emergency.

For one British schoolgirl such an emergency came when she dropped her phone into a storm drain and became stuck in the drain while trying to retrieve the device.

Student Ella Birchenough, 16, said the phone slipped from her grasp as she went to put it in her pocket.

Not wanting to lose the phone, she hopped in the drain to try and fish it out. But getting into the drain proved easier than getting out.

And others on the street, who still had their smartphones, snapped pictures of her predicament.

When Ella’s panicked mum arrived on the scene in Dover, England she called in firefighters to rescue her daughter from the jam.

DOVER update: This is the teenage girl, who somehow became stuck in a storm drain in Eaves Road this evening. pic.twitter.com/EVsx1wPksA

— Kent 999s (@Kent_999s) April 2, 2014

The firefighters had her out within 10 minutes of arriving at the scene on Wednesday.

“I wasn’t really even stuck, I just need somebody to help lift me out but my mum got all panicky,” Ella told the Daily Mail.

“When they pulled me out I ran straight home and jumped in the bath. I think it was just water but I wasn’t taking any chances.

DOVER update: Not sure it helps solve how she became stuck in a Dover drain, but here's another photo. pic.twitter.com/GxdGH12xRi

Ella was not injured in the incident, however the accident was fatal for her phone.

“I was just laughing the whole time, I have seen the funny side of it. You just have to laugh along with it,” she said.

“There have been a few nasty comments about me being fat which isn’t nice but I’m trying not to take it to heart.”

And the final indignity — she may have to use an old Nokia while she waits for a new iPhone.

DOVER update: Firefighters freeing teen from drain in Eaves Road today. Cover may have been missing, and she fell in. pic.twitter.com/JNZZRQoRya

Oceander

It was just too tempting to post the pic as well:

Offline rustynail

I see a couple of reasons for her predicament.

Oceander

I see a couple of reasons for her predicament.

two in particular, perhaps?  :smokin: