Author Topic: Ferrari’s $2 million hybrid supercar La Ferrari lands in Australia  (Read 1171 times)

Oceander

news.com.au

Ferrari’s $2 million hybrid supercar La Ferrari lands in Australia

3 hours ago April 04, 2014 12:00AM

(more images at link)

FERRARI’S first ever hybrid supercar has arrived in Australia — but don’t expect to see it on the road anytime soon, because it can’t be registered here.

The $2 million LaFerrari is for display only as the star attraction at next weekend’s Ferrari Festival at Sydney Motorsport Park, Eastern Creek, where more than 300 classic models valued at $175 million will gather to celebrate the brand.

A warehouse clerk was the first person in Australia to get behind the wheel of the car after it was flown-in yesterday but he didn’t get a chance to give it a rev.

Ferrari is so concerned that the LaFerrari goes home in one piece that it disabled the engine so it can’t be driven.

Jesse De Caires, 23, from Hurstville, is still the envy of every Ferrari fan because he at least got to sit in the bright red supercar as he steered it out of a shipping container — while others pushed — after it landed in Sydney.

“I have to jump into the container because I’m the only one skinny enough to fit through the car windows,” said De Caires, who over the past two years has unpacked about one Ferrari every fortnight after they are flown in.

He said he is never tempted to take one for a spin because he knows it would cost him his job.

“It’s not frustrating because we know we have to be careful,” said De Caires. “But I was a bit disappointed this time because the engine didn’t start. I wanted to hear it.”

Just 499 LaFerrari supercars are being built and Ferrari says between “five and 10” Australians have bought one, even though the car can never be registered locally.

Instead, the unnamed wealthy buyers will drive their cars either overseas or on race tracks.

Ferrari head office in Italy has disabled the complex petrol-electric engine to prevent anyone from driving the car during the LaFerrari’s visit.

Read more ...

Oceander

Re: Ferrari’s $2 million hybrid supercar La Ferrari lands in Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:06:10 pm »
Don't drool too much on your keyboard; it's not good for the electronics!  :silly:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:36:45 pm »
Lest anybody doubt Hybrid, it is here to stay and is thoroughly proven technology.

So much so that Formula 1 uses it, ALMS (LeMans Series) uses it.

Porsche has a $1,000,000+ supercar like the Ferrari.

If the former Big Three were intending to remain competitive in the world, they'd have introduced Hybrid Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes by now.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 04:41:05 pm »

If the former Big Three were intending to remain competitive in the world, they'd have introduced Hybrid Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes by now.

Agreed

I think the main issue with hybrid is not that it doesn't represent the future - it does, and it represents common sense because it makes more efficient use of available energy resources - but rather the way it's being pushed politically and the way that ideologues are attempting to force market behaviour from the top down rather than letting the market work its magic and get us those super-efficient hybrid Mustangs as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:42:45 pm by Oceander »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 05:26:19 pm »
Agreed

I think the main issue with hybrid is not that it doesn't represent the future - it does, and it represents common sense because it makes more efficient use of available energy resources - but rather the way it's being pushed politically and the way that ideologues are attempting to force market behaviour from the top down rather than letting the market work its magic and get us those super-efficient hybrid Mustangs as soon as possible.
My younger brother is very, very conservative. He wants an electric plug-in Porsche.

He and his wife currently have 3 Porsches. They crashed a fourth.

There is no government coercion in his desire to have a technologically advanced vehicle.

Across Europe people chose dioesel for their passenger vehicle purchases over 50% of the time. GM just introduced their first such diesel, while VW and Audi have had several for man years. Same for BMW and Mercedes. (Audi now sells their biggest sedans with diesel, in the US - A8 and A6)

As for Hybrids, Toyota has clearly led the way.

The fact is the American auto industry went to sleep one day in Detroit, and conceded the game. Now taxpayers are being asked to add a fifth and sixth quarter to the game.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 05:41:50 pm »

The fact is the American auto industry went to sleep one day in Detroit, and conceded the game. Now taxpayers are being asked to add a fifth and sixth quarter to the game.

I wish you'd stop agreeing with me!  :smokin:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:55:21 pm »
Agreed

Great post. Total agreement.