Author Topic: Marijuana linked to death of Colorado exchange student  (Read 1004 times)

Oceander

Marijuana linked to death of Colorado exchange student
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:54:11 pm »
BBC

Marijuana linked to death of Colorado exchange student

2 April 2014 Last updated at 15:42 ET

An exchange student fell to his death after ingesting marijuana in Colorado - the first death linked to the drug since it was legalised in the US state.

Levy Thamba, 19, plummeted from the balcony of a Denver hotel on 11 March after eating a cannabis-laced cookie.

A post-mortem examination found marijuana intoxication was a factor in the Wyoming student's death.

Colorado became the first US state to legalise recreational use of the drug in January.

Mr Thamba, a native of the Republic of Congo, had reportedly begun taking classes at Northwest College in Powell, Wyoming, the same month.

Currently, 20 US states as well as Washington, DC allow for the sale of medical marijuana, while Washington state is set to introduce legal sales later this year.

Recently, US President Barack Obama said marijuana was no more dangerous than alcohol, while cautioning both were bad decisions.

Nonetheless, he has instructed the Department of Justice to halt prosecutions of banks that do business with cannabis firms.

Online mountaineer

Re: Marijuana linked to death of Colorado exchange student
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »
Denver mom shot to death after husband allegedly consumed marijuana edibles, began hallucinating: report
Kristine A. Kirk was on the line with a 911 dispatcher for nearly 15 minutes when she was shot in the head late Monday night, NBC reported. The 44-year-old mother of three had reportedly told police that her husband was 'talking about the end of the world.’

BY  Nina Golgowski 
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 10:10 PM

A Denver woman was allegedly shot to death by her own husband while on the phone with police after she reportedly said he consumed marijuana edibles and began hallucinating.

Kristine A. Kirk clung to her phone with a 911 dispatcher for nearly 15 minutes before her final scream was accompanied by a piercing gunshot late Monday night, NBC reported.

When officers arrived at the 44-year-old's home they reported finding the mother of three dead at the scene after suffering a gunshot wound to the head.

Her husband, Richard Kirk, 47, was taken into custody on suspicion of first-degree murder.

Richard Kirk had allegedly been "talking about the end of the world and [saying] he wanted her to shoot him," moments before she was killed, 9News reported.

Kristine Kirk allegedly told dispatch that her husband had consumed marijuana and was hallucinating while scaring their young children whom police confirmed to the Daily News were at the scene. As she remained on the line with police her husband reportedly fetched a gun from a gun safe.

Authorities are now investigating whether Richard Kirk had indeed consumed some kind of drug, such as marijuana, prior to Monday night's shooting. They are also reportedly reviewing the length of time it took to respond to her 911 call.

9News reported that Richard Kirk has one prior arrest in Douglas County for driving under the influence and careless driving.

While in the backseat of a patrol car he allegedly confessed to shooting his wife.

He made his first court appearance Wednesday and is being held without bond.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:52:48 pm »
If Colorado set up no hallucinating zones for people to take their weed, this would have never happened. :whistle:

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:28:25 pm »
If Colorado set up no hallucinating zones for people to take their weed, this would have never happened. :whistle:

Maybe they can get the BLM to set them up.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 02:55:41 pm »
Authorities are now investigating whether Richard Kirk had indeed consumed some kind of drug, such as marijuana,

It is not yet known whether or not he was on drugs at all, much less whether or not the drug he may have been taking was in fact marijuana.

The headline is a canard. They only mentioned marijuana as a hook, to make people read. As for falling off a balcony, that happens several times every week by people all over the world. I guess they all must be on marijuana?

This 'marijuana' obsession is just media sensationalism. Furthermore, none of these stories have anything to do with legalization. People have been smoking and taking pot for thousands of years, with or without any 'law' to tell them that it is now "OK", by the government.

These people would have been high regardless of any 'law'. It is the arrogance of our 'reprsentatives' who have now become 'rulers' which makes them think that they, and only they, change what people do. They do not change what people do, all they do is burden themselves by making it, so called, 'illegal'.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 03:06:58 pm »
Back in the seventies, I considered myself to be a "hippie".  I was what people would call a pothead, I tried many other recreational pharmaeceuticals as well - including LSD.  I know my way around a bag of weed, just sayin'.  I never, ever consumed marijuana in any quantity and had any type of hallucination where I would want to end it all or kill someone else - quite the contrary, mostly just found myself with the munchies - if I didn't go to sleep first. 

They say today's weed is so much more potent than it used to be - let me tell you that I have smoked some PRETTY potent stuff - and if it is that much more potent now - people would not be able to walk around!  If these "edibles" are THAT potent - let me have one of them, I'll sacrifice myself to be a guinea pig and conduct my own "scientific" experiment! 

I'm more inclined to think that this woman's husband was a son of a bitch before he consumed marijuana edibles, that he was taking other drugs too, and/or that he was drunk as well.

When I cut way back on drug usage in the eighties, I started drinking alot - now that was a real game changer!  Alcohol changed me into a person I did not like very much.  I'll take pot any time over alcohol.  I'm sure every person's mileage may vary, and people have their drug of choice - but I'm also pretty sure that marijuana is not causing formerly peaceful people to become killers. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 03:28:20 pm »
I agree. This sounds much more like a mental problem, combined with alcohol and possibly PCP or Meth, or all of the above. Who knows? It sounds like the exact opposite of something someone would do if he was on pot.

If he was that wacked out on pot, he would much more likely sit down with a bag of Doritos and a 2 liter, and watch Spong Bob for 12 hours. I have never seen anyone become violent on weed, unless it was laced.

This anti-pot propaganda that you read every day today, is straight out of the 1950s. It is like a time portal rewind. They are doing the exact same thing all over again. Drink all the whiskey you want but, ... Pot is BAD! Pot will make you jump off a roof! It will make you kill your cat! It is all a time rewind right out of Back to the Future. I'm looking for Buddy Holly to come back to life any day now.

But hey, we all know that if the guy was just plain drunk, well, that wouldn't be a story, would it?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:30:50 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 03:31:59 pm »
Yep.  Don't forget - pot will turn your daughters into prostitutes as well. 

:scared smiley:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 04:07:55 pm »
Having smoked marijuana and hashish for a few years, and drank too much beer for many more years, I recall people reacting differently.

I never heard of anybody committing suicide on pot, LSD, etc.

However heavy long term use of alcohol is slow suicide, and many that I have known died young.

On my cul-d-sac of 12 homes, 3 households were involved with drunk driving deaths. Two had family-residents killed by drunk drivers; the 3rd had the drunk driver-killer himself.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:10:52 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »
Yep.  Don't forget - pot will turn your daughters into prostitutes as well. 

:scared smiley:

Stop making that claim!!  The global warming crowd determined it is, in fact, global warming that will turn them into prostitutes. :silly:

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »
Stop making that claim!!  The global warming crowd determined it is, in fact, global warming that will turn them into prostitutes. :silly:

So it's Bush's fault?
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 08:38:22 pm »
I'm sure there have been multitudes of marijuana related deaths. When you hear somebody say "Nobody has ever died from marijuana use" they are talking about an overdose. I have been high before, and I can tell you first hand that it absolutely inhibits your ability to make good decisions.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:40:41 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 08:41:34 pm »
I'm sure there have been multitudes of marijuana related deaths. When you hear somebody say "Nobody has ever died from marijuana" they are talking about an overdose. I have been high before, and I can tell you first hand that it absolutely inhibits your ability to make good decisions.

I don't give a damn who you are.....nobody high on the best marijuana in the world is going to shoot his wife in front of his kids.

They must have forgotten the empty bottle of tequila.......
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 08:58:16 pm »
I don't give a damn who you are.....nobody high on the best marijuana in the world is going to shoot his wife in front of his kids.

Recently I heard about a friend serving on a jury for a DUI case, and the lack of good testing methods for "under the influence" pertaining to marijuana.

The defendant admitted to some alcohol, some marijuana, but not to being legally "under the influence." Cops said he failed a field sobriety test, but later blood tests found only legal quantities of chemical concentrations.

The jury was split, and the judge declared a misstrial. DA may or may not try the case again.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:06:43 pm »
88,000 deaths a year in United States attributable to excessive alcohol use and this article wants to talk about one guy who fell off a balcony stoned? Like that's never happened before to a drunk? Nor has it ever occurred that a drunk drowned in the backyard pool or passed out and hit his head dead.  Nor has a drunk ever gotten behind the wheel and committed vehicular manslaughter. And a myriad other ways to reach 88,000.

Fact Sheets- Alcohol Use and Health

So why was this one incident news?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:13:38 am »
88,000 deaths a year in United States attributable to excessive alcohol use and this article wants to talk about one guy who fell off a balcony stoned? Like that's never happened before to a drunk? Nor has it ever occurred that a drunk drowned in the backyard pool or passed out and hit his head dead.  Nor has a drunk ever gotten behind the wheel and committed vehicular manslaughter. And a myriad other ways to reach 88,000.

Fact Sheets- Alcohol Use and Health

So why was this one incident news?

Something we can agree about!  More people injure themselves with kitchen implements every year.....

:smokin:

Offline Dexter

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 03:05:39 am »

I support legalization, and I completely agree that alcohol is more dangerous, but that doesn't mean marijuana can't be dangerous too. How many stupid kids have gotten baked out of their minds and then decided to go for a drive that ended in a traffic fatality? How many of them got high and thought it would be funny/cool to do something stupid and dangerous, just to have it end very badly? Like I said, I agree that alcohol is worse, but we shouldn't downplay the dangers that do exist.
-Socrates

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 11:36:15 am »
Student who jumped four stories to his death ate too much pot
By Associated Press
April 17, 2014 | 4:59pm

DENVER – A Wyoming college student who jumped to his death from a Denver hotel balcony ate more than the recommended serving of a marijuana cookie, police reports show.

Levy Thamba Pongi, 19, consumed a little more than one cookie after his friend legally purchased four of the pot edibles at a shop in Denver – even though a store clerk told her to cut one cookie into six pieces and eat just one piece at a time, according to the reports obtained Thursday.

Back at their hotel, the group of four friends followed the instructions, but when Pongi felt nothing after about 30 minutes, he ate an entire cookie, police said.

Pongi started acting strangely 15 to 30 minutes later, speaking erratically in French, shaking, screaming and throwing things around the hotel room.

“‘This is a sign from God that this has happened, that I can’t control myself,’” he told his friends, according to the reports. “‘It’s not because of the weed.’”

Pongi’s friends tried to restrain him before he left the room and jumped over a fourth floor railing into the hotel lobby, police said.

An autopsy report from the March 11 incident lists marijuana intoxication as a “significant contributing factor” in the death.

Authorities have said the friends, all students at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., traveled to Denver on spring break specifically to sample marijuana. Three of the students told investigators they did not purchase or take any other drugs during their stay.

In the days that followed, Denver police confiscated the remaining cookies from the pot shop to test the levels of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

Colorado marijuana regulations set a 10 mg serving size for edibles. The wrapper of the cookies bought by the students said each contained 65 mg of THC for 6 1/2 servings. Tests showed the cookies were within the required limits, police said.

The wrappers also cautioned that “this marijuana product has not been tested for contaminants or potency.” One of Pongi’s friends became sick to his stomach after eating part of the cookie, but the others felt no negative effect.

Colorado law bans the sale of recreational marijuana products to people under 21. Pongi’s 23-year-old friend told police she bought the cookies while Pongi waited outside the store.

It’s also illegal for people under 21 to possess marijuana, and adults can be charged with a felony for giving it to someone under the legal age.

However, authorities said in the report that they would not pursue charges against Pongi’s friend. Denver district attorney’s spokeswoman Maro Casparian said investigators determined there was no crime. She declined to elaborate.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 12:25:55 pm »
Why do I support decriminalization and not legalization?  Simple. I don't want government regulating one more aspect of my life. I mean, really now. What's next? Serving sizes on a bottle of tequila? The Federal Department of Intoxication?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 03:23:33 pm »
Why do I support decriminalization and not legalization?  Simple. I don't want government regulating one more aspect of my life. I mean, really now. What's next? Serving sizes on a bottle of tequila? The Federal Department of Intoxication?

The government is already regulating your life by telling you it is illegal or only decriminalized. Do we really want to pass up on this potential cash cow? Wide scale legalization would create thousands of jobs, go a long way towards slowing down our insane drug war spending and the militarization of the police, and it would generate billions in taxes.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:26:59 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates