Author Topic: Michigan Woman Assaulted After Her Same-Sex Wedding Was Featured on the News  (Read 537 times)

Oceander

The Wire

Michigan Woman Assaulted After Her Same-Sex Wedding Was Featured on the News

Abby Ohlheiser

An unnamed Michigan woman who took part in one of the state's first same-sex marriages was beaten unconscious on Monday, after her attackers allegedly recognized her from a televised report on her wedding. The unnamed woman and her new wife were one of 300 couples able to marry in late March after a court order briefly lifted the state ban on same-sex marriage. On Monday, a group of men approached her on the street, made reference to her TV appearance while using a homophobic slur, and then punched her to the ground, according to the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office.

In a news release quoted by the Detroit Free Press, the sheriff's office gave the following account of the attack:

“One of the males stated, ‘Hey b----. Are you that (anti-gay slur) from the news?’ One of the males then punched her in the face, which knocked her to the ground and unconscious."

The Free Press adds that one of the men kicked her in the gut after she regained consciousness, and then fled. The woman described one of her attackers as "white, 5-feet-10 inches to 5-feet-11 inches tall, heavy set and with a low or husky voice." There were at least two other men involved, however authorities haven't provided a physical description of them.

Washtenaw was one of four Michigan counties issuing marriage licenses on March 22, the Saturday after a federal judge struck down the state's same-sex marriage ban. Although the state later appealed to 6th Circuit Court of Appeals for a stay on the decision, 300 couples were able to marry during that brief window. Although the state government has said that it will not recognize those marriages, the federal government will.

Oceander

whatever else one might think of the political subject, there is just no call for doing something like this; it was truly hateful.

Offline Millee

$2 says hoax. 

Oceander

if she got punched in the face and knocked to the ground hard enough to render her unconscious, there would be obvious physical injuries

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
$2 says hoax.

Or a random mugging completely unrelated to her 15 minutes of fame and the "slurs" never actually happened.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The courage of these "men" knows no bounds. Their manhood is very much in question though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline collins

$2 says hoax.

My first thought, too . . . not a supporter of these type of weddings, but if I recognized a particpant from the news on the street, I would never do this, much less beat up some lesbian with my friends. Too many false flags with these people.

Offline rustynail

Hoax but there are a lot of Muslims in Michigan.

Offline mountaineer

Sorry, this smells of hoax to me, too - like the supposed racial incidents on college campuses that turn out to have been the work of the alleged victim.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

Maybe the men were black and this, the knockout game? (And because a lesbian was involved it couldn't be suppressed and finally had to make the news?)