Author Topic: The Myth of Working Your Way Through College  (Read 165 times)

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
The Myth of Working Your Way Through College
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:45:20 PM »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: The Myth of Working Your Way Through College
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:48:55 PM »
One thing a lot of people do not do is look for grants.  I did when I was in grad school and got $1000 a year in grants which helped a lot.  Half were from the state of Texas, the other half were private.  Some can qualify for far, far more in grant/scholarship money, which does not have to be paid back.  Also, some universities offer reduced tuition to student workers.

Today it seems they go right for student loans, which should be the second or third option, not the first.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline happyg

Re: The Myth of Working Your Way Through College
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:35:24 AM »
My granddaughter got grants and scholarships. She babysat and did other odd jobs until she was 16. Then, she worked in fast foods, while doing sports in school and keeping an A average. She goes to U of Toledo, and works three part time jobs. She did get a loan, but kept it to a minimum, so that she will be able to afford to pay it off.

Had she never worked and saved her money, she would be in a world of hurt with government loans.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf