Author Topic: Soda sales dropped at an accelerated pace in 2013  (Read 2002 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Soda sales dropped at an accelerated pace in 2013
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:37:47 am »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SODA_SALES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

by Candice Choi
March 31, 2014

Coca-Cola, which also owns Sprite and Fanta, saw its soda volume fall 2.2 percent.

PepsiCo, which makes Mountain Dew, saw volume fall 4.4 percent. That was despite the company's stepped up marketing for its flagship soda, including sponsorship of the Super Bowl halftime show for the past two years.

Even diet sodas are suffering. Last year, for instance, Diet Coke's sales volume declined 6.8 percent, compared to a 0.5 percent drop for regular Coke, according to Beverage Digest. Diet Pepsi declined 6.9 percent, compared to a 3.6 percent decline for regular Pepsi.

(excerpt)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:38:09 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

Re: Soda sales dropped at an accelerated pace in 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:43:12 pm »
It's about time. I stopped drinking soda about 30 years ago. There are many more satisfying beverages to drink without loading up on sugar.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:56:42 pm »
It's about time. I stopped drinking soda about 30 years ago. There are many more satisfying beverages to drink without loading up on sugar.

what about diet sodas?  no sugar there

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:04:27 pm »
Used to buy diet Pepsi at COSTCO....36 cans for something like $9.00.

Drank it for years.

Then I tasted Diet-Pepsi in a plastic bottle.....completely different taste/product. (better)

Now....I'm addicted to coffee.   LOL!    :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:43:04 pm »
what about diet sodas?  no sugar there

I find them unnecessary, besides, I'm not convinced sodas are safe to drink long-term.

I'll stick to 1% milk, almond milk, unsweetened iced tea, can't live without coffee, and San Pellegrino (the best tasting sparkling mineral water on the planet). Gave up beer when I gave up alcohol.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 09:52:12 pm »
San Pellegrino is amazingly good. So far beyond Perrier that it is untrue. Malvern Water is a pretty close second though.

I'll have the odd Coke. Not wildly fond of it, my soda of choice is Old Jamaica Ginger Beer (despite it's name, non-alcoholic), but it is bloody hard to get in most places. Coke, on the other hand, you could probably be the first person to land on Mars and you'd find a case waiting for you.

Am I the only one to prefer the taste of soda in glass bottles rather than plastic or tin? It just seems to taste much better for some reason.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 10:56:59 pm »
The only type of pop I would drink is Coke Zero, Pepsi Max or Zevia..  I can't stand the taste of Diet drinks any more.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 11:22:36 pm »
I will never, ever give up Dr. Pepper.

Since I switched to Dr. Pepper 10 (mostly diet but with just a little sugar which makes it palatable) I've lost about 25lbs.

I still enjoy a real Dr. Pepper now and then.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 12:18:27 am »
I find them unnecessary, besides, I'm not convinced sodas are safe to drink long-term.

I'll stick to 1% milk, almond milk, unsweetened iced tea, can't live without coffee, and San Pellegrino (the best tasting sparkling mineral water on the planet). Gave up beer when I gave up alcohol.

I get tired of 1% milk (which my wife insists upon).

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 01:25:53 am »

I, too, tend to avoid soda, other than once in a while.

The exception is a small energy drink every couple of days. Starbucks makes a "refreshers" beverage with stevia, B vitamins, and juice that I like. For a little bit more of a kick I'll go with a Red Bull or, if I'm really burnt out, a single Rockstar. (Never Monster; that stuff'll put me in a rage.) I figure, if I'm going to use caffeine, I might as well get some vitamin supplementation while I'm at it. (And always through a straw-- I think it's better for the teeth, and besides, it gives it a different flavor for some reason.)

Offline collins

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 05:31:20 am »
I still like most sodas, and drink at least one daily.  I wonder if Michelle's war on soda in public schools isn't a factor in this, or obesity in Americans. That wouldn't explain the decrease in diet soda consumption, though.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 05:44:56 am »
I still like most sodas, and drink at least one daily.  I wonder if Michelle's war on soda in public schools isn't a factor in this, or obesity in Americans. That wouldn't explain the decrease in diet soda consumption, though.

I wonder if it isn't an age related thing. Can't find any research on a quick check, but it's a plausible idea.

You know your taste buds change as you get older. Tastes you loved as a child you now hate, and vice versa. Older people are far more likely to drink diet sodas - we got the paunch and the blood pressure to think of, while the old joints are less amenable to exercise! I know I find diet sodas unpleasantly metallic in flavor, as does my wife and parents. Yet the older part of the population are more likely to buy soda.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Relic

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 01:13:21 pm »
I wonder if it isn't an age related thing. Can't find any research on a quick check, but it's a plausible idea.

You know your taste buds change as you get older. Tastes you loved as a child you now hate, and vice versa. Older people are far more likely to drink diet sodas - we got the paunch and the blood pressure to think of, while the old joints are less amenable to exercise! I know I find diet sodas unpleasantly metallic in flavor, as does my wife and parents. Yet the older part of the population are more likely to buy soda.

I'm one of those old guys who has dramatically cut back on drinking "pop", (a name for soda that gives away my general location). I drink 1-2 a week. I like one on Saturday, (pizza night). Then, if I eat out for lunch during the week I'll have one. I always drink regular pop. I'm convinced diet pop is bad for you. But, I've trained myself to drink water. I usually have water with my meals. Tap water is fine.

BTW, I'm 4 out of 5 siblings, and the only one who isn't type II diabetic, yet. (Knock wood).

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 01:18:32 pm »
I'm one of those old guys who has dramatically cut back on drinking "pop", (a name for soda that gives away my general location).
Are you a Picksburgher?  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 01:28:56 pm »
I will never, ever give up Dr. Pepper.

Since I switched to Dr. Pepper 10 (mostly diet but with just a little sugar which makes it palatable) I've lost about 25lbs.

I still enjoy a real Dr. Pepper now and then.

:thumbsup:

You and me Bro!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 01:39:50 pm »
Are you a Picksburgher?  ^-^

Not all that far away, I'm near Akron, Ohio.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 02:18:06 pm »
I've basically given up on pop for the past few years.  I used to drink of ton of diet Coke/Pepsi, then switched to regular for a few years.  Now I don't really miss it at all, I may have one once or twice a year.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »
I've quit drinking pop too.  Used to drink regular Coke, became diabetic and switched to Diet Coke.  Then I started reading about artificial sweeteners and possible connections to Alzheimers and other bad stuff, so I cut pop out except for a rare treat.  I switched to iced tea and mostly just water. 

I wonder if there aren't a couple of other reasons for the drop in pop sales.  Are more people using the Soda Stream and is that having any impact?  Also, with the rapid rise in food prices, are families being forced to cut back on non-essential items - pop being one of them?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 03:49:47 pm »
I wonder if there aren't a couple of other reasons for the drop in pop sales.  Are more people using the Soda Stream and is that having any impact?  Also, with the rapid rise in food prices, are families being forced to cut back on non-essential items - pop being one of them?
In a lower-income situation, pop is actually one of the cheapest beverages there is. A 2-liter bottle can go for half the price of a half-gallon of milk or a third of the price of 100% juice. Only water is cheaper.

That, coupled with deposit laws in many states (pay the deposit with EBT, get the refund back in cash), is why EBT users love to buy the stuff.

As for Sodastream, I don't think that has gained very much traction.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 07:11:23 pm »
Free market capitalism at its finest......

Customers enjoy an abundance of choices....too many in some cases.   (Not that I am calling for a reduction in choice....just making an observation)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald