Author Topic: American Airlines staff leaves cruel note on deaf passenger’s bag  (Read 552 times)

Oceander

news.com.au

American Airlines staff leaves cruel note on deaf passenger’s bag

1 day ago March 30, 2014 7:25PM

A DEAF couple is upset over a note that an American Airlines employee attached to one of their bags, referring to the pair as “deaf and dumb.”

James Moehle and Angela Huckaby were returning home to Houston from a vacation in Hawaii when one of their bags was misplaced by the airline. When it was delivered later, a handwritten note attached to the bag read, “Please Text Deaf And Dumb.”

Moehle’s mother, Kaye Moehle, said the note was “outrageous and cruel and unnecessary.”

Airline spokesman Casey Norton said Friday that the employee who wrote the note did not intend to insult anyone and will go through sensitivity training.

One of the couple’s bags was misplaced on the final leg of the couple’s journey home, from Dallas to Houston. In such cases, American uses another company to delivery late-arriving baggage to passengers.

Norton said an American employee who is not a native English speaker scrawled the note to alert a delivery driver that he should contact the couple by text message when delivering the bag.

The airline employee “will go through new respect training,” Norton said. “We are using it as a system-wide teaching example so that everybody is more respectful of those who have different impairments.”

That was welcome news for Kaye Moehle, who had initially demanded that the worker be fired.

“I felt hurt for my son because I know how hard he works” — he’s been employed as a technician at the same heating and air conditioning company for 16 years, she told The Associated Press.

On Friday, Moehle said she didn’t want anyone to lose their job and that some good could come out of the situation.

“The public hopefully has been educated a little more to know that the term ‘deaf and dumb’ has no place in our society, like other derogatory labelling of other good people,” she said.

Offline happyg

Re: American Airlines staff leaves cruel note on deaf passenger’s bag
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:32:54 pm »
I haven't heard that term since I was a child. Deaf/mute would suffice. A good friend's parents were deaf mutes, and there wasn't anything 'dumb' about them.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:33:24 pm »
"Dumb" signifies "mute".
Get over it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline speekinout

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 07:26:53 pm »
Deaf and dumb was the term for deaf and non-verbal for a long time. The worker who used that term was a non-native English speaker, and he certainly wouldn't know all of the nuances about which terms are politically correct.
I once worked with a German who spoke what sounded like perfect American English. He was able to communicate his ideas very well. The glitch was that he had learned English from American GI's in occupied Germany. Some of his vocabulary was a little unusual for business meetings (but we had no trouble figuring out what he meant  :laugh: )

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:30:04 pm »
I always find these kind of stories to be highly suspect.  More often than not, the "victim" was behind it.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 11:43:22 pm »
"Sensitivity training"???

How about a good old fashioned ass-kicking and then firing?
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline raml

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:24:37 am »
As far as I am concerned since I refuse to be politically correct they are deaf and dumb. This is not a put down never was.