Author Topic: British girl, 9, drunk on vodka  (Read 547 times)

Oceander

British girl, 9, drunk on vodka
« on: March 31, 2014, 04:16:49 pm »
news.com.au

British girl, 9, drunk on vodka

5 hours ago March 31, 2014 10:36PM

A NINE-YEAR-OLD British girl needed hospital treatment after consuming vodka, according to police.

The nine-year-old girl, who lives near Consett, County Durham in England, was found to be in a dazed state after drinking vodka with two friends who were about the same age. Her parents called an ambulance.

Medics alerted the police, who spoke to the family last month.

The shocking incident was not unusual, with officers blaming peer pressure for an increase in drinking among the very young.

Durham Police are also investigating how a 12-year-old required accident and emergency treatment over three consecutive weekends for alcohol-related injuries.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: British girl, 9, drunk on vodka
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:31:26 pm »
This is unusual and news?

They probably hooked a bottle from one of their parent's booze cupboard to play "grown-ups."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 05:44:02 pm »
This is unusual and news?

They probably hooked a bottle from one of their parent's booze cupboard to play "grown-ups."

most likely.  9 is a little on the wee side, though

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:04:24 pm »
most likely.  9 is a little on the wee side, though

I dunno. Seems most kids here have had the odd nip by that age. Watered wine or a shandy with dinner, usually, but sometimes spirits. This is why we have a drinking problem over here.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:22:06 pm »
I dunno. Seems most kids here have had the odd nip by that age. Watered wine or a shandy with dinner, usually, but sometimes spirits. This is why we have a drinking problem over here.

True enough, but this wasn't just a nip with the parents at dinner or some occasion.  And I'm not sure that drinking when you're a kid really leads to drinking problems; I think there's a bigger social/cultural issue that drives that.  My (anecdotal) evidence:  my parents were posted to Uruguay when I was in college;  my three siblings went with them, the youngest was my sister, who was about 13 or 14 by then.  Uruguay at the time (and probably even today) had a nominal drinking age that was never enforced in practice; my siblings and their friends used to go out of a night, and oft-times someone came home a little tipsy.  None has developed a drinking problem and as far as I know neither have any of their classmates (it was a pretty small school so everyone pretty much knew everyone else).

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:04:37 pm »
Ah - I see my error. We are defining drinking problems differently.  :laugh:

It's a catch all phrase here. It doesn't just include alcoholism or abuse rising from that. That is a wiring defect in the drinker's brain. It also includes binge drinking, vomiting in the streets, peeing in someone's bird bath (don't ask, the magistrate was kind), pub fights, hassle on the street (young and stupid is bearable. Young, stupid and drunk - all bets are off).

In general though, countries that have a more relaxed approach to alcohol do tend to have fewer serious drink related problems. I know Italy and France does from personal experience, and your experience suggests the same is true for Uruguay.