Author Topic: Liberty Unyielding: Christie deftly defends appointment of Muslim Judge at Jewish GOP meeting  (Read 751 times)

Oceander

Christie deftly defends appointment of Muslim Judge at Jewish GOP meeting

Posted on March 30, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Matt Lewis, TDC

Speaking at the Republican Jewish Coalition’s meeting in Las Vegas on Saturday, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie responded calmly, but strongly, to a question about Sharia Law, taking the occasion to address lingering concerns about a Muslim judge he appointed in 2011.

“Sohail Mohammed knows as much about jihad as I do, being an Irish-American kid from Newark, New Jersey,” Christie said of the Indian-American judge who immigrated to America as a child. “It is ridiculous and insulting, that because I nominated Sohail Mohammed — that people some how think that means I’m for Sharia Law. It’s crap,” he said to applause. “And I will not ever apologize for making him a judge — in fact, I’m proud of it.”

“Sharia Law won’t come into New Jersey,” Christie continued, “and to suggest otherwise is nothing more than internet blog B.S.”

Much has been made of Christie’s gaffe about “occupied territories,” but I think this exchange was probably more instructive in the long run. If Christie runs for president, this is one of the lingering questions he will have to continue to address. And his ability to defend this appointment — in what might have been a challenging environment — speaks well of his political courage and ability to communicate. The fact that Christie actually garnered some applause is indicative of his ability to do just that.

Watch video →

Read more at http://libertyunyielding.com/2014/03/30/christie-deftly-defends-appointment-muslim-judge-jewish-gop-meeting/#LHwR4VkC2LkpHwYX.99

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Christie:
“It is ridiculous and insulting, that because I nominated Sohail Mohammed — that people some how think that means I’m for Sharia Law. It’s crap,” he said to applause. “And I will not ever apologize for making him a judge — in fact, I’m proud of it.”

Fine. You're the governor. Do as you wish.
But you'll never get my vote.
Never.

Offline sinkspur

Christie:
“It is ridiculous and insulting, that because I nominated Sohail Mohammed — that people some how think that means I’m for Sharia Law. It’s crap,” he said to applause. “And I will not ever apologize for making him a judge — in fact, I’m proud of it.”

Fine. You're the governor. Do as you wish.
But you'll never get my vote.
Never.

Bigotry is truly an ugly thing.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

Offline sinkspur

Offline admin

• Administrator
Bigotry and stupidity are both ugly; that has been established.  Aren't there better things to discuss?

Offline Relic

Bigotry IS stupidity.

What is preservation of a culture in the face of a self declared enemy?
Bigotry?

Offline sinkspur

Bigotry and stupidity are both ugly; that has been established.  Aren't there better things to discuss?

If it is your objective to kill this thread, congratulations.  You just did it.

Offline Relic

What could be more important, or interesting than discussing preserving America?

Show me where muslims have been welcomed into a country, and became numerous, where it hasn't caused problems. Just one example.

Offline admin

• Administrator
Then discuss it, do not through insults at each other; that is childish.

Offline sinkspur

There were no insults directed at any poster.  By anybody.

Another case of jumping offside by a mod.

Offline Relic

Just clearly defining sides.

Offline admin

• Administrator
There were no insults directed at any poster.  By anybody.

Another case of jumping offside by a mod.

Just clearly defining sides.

One accused the other of bigotry and hatred.  The other accused the one of stupidity.  Those are insults.

Establishing who's bigoted and who's stupid is not clearly defining sides in any relevant way.

Offline sinkspur

One accused the other of bigotry and hatred.  The other accused the one of stupidity.  Those are insults.

Establishing who's bigoted and who's stupid is not clearly defining sides in any relevant way.

Nobody "accused" anybody of anything.  Go back and read the posts. And there were certainly no direct insults.

Overmoderation has killed many a good board.

Oceander

Once more, perhaps a review of the gent's background might prove enlightening.  Here's the wikipedia article on him:

Sohail Mohammed (born 1960s) is an India born, American lawyer who was appointed by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie as a New Jersey Superior Court Judge in 2011.

Mohammed was born in Hyderabad.  He emigrated to the United States in 1980 while a teenager.[1]  He was naturalized in New Jersey, abandoned an engineering career and became a lawyer.  He received his law degree from the Seton Hall University School of Law in 1993.[2]

Sohail Mohammed specialized in immigration law with a practice in Clifton.  He was involved in training “over 7,000 members of the law enforcement community about Islamic Cultural and Religious Practices.”  As a lawyer he represented dozens of detainees swept up by law enforcement after the 9/11 attacks in 2001 and Mohammad Qatanani, a Paterson imam who in 2008 fended off charges by the Department of Homeland Security that he had ties to Hamas.  Mohammed publicly defended Palestinian Islamic Jihad operative Sami Al-Arian following a 2003 indictment which alleged he was a North American leader of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad and the Fort Dix Six in 2007.  He is a founder and board member of the American Muslim Union.[1][3][4]

Sohail Mohammed was sworn into office in July 2011, becoming New Jersey’s second Muslim judge in the Superior Court.

notes

1    Christie Blasts Critics of New Judge By Lisa Fleisher, WSJ July 27, 2011
2    India Net article on Mohammed
3    Christie defends choice for Passaic judgeship by Robert Wiener, NJJN January 26, 2011
4    First Call for Freedom By Kirsten Marcum, New Jersey Super Lawyers 2006 — April 2006

Doesn't sound like someone who clings bitterly to his koran and his explosive vest
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:57:39 am by Oceander »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Oceander wrote above:
[[ Doesn't sound like someone who clings bitterly to his koran and his explosive vest ]]

From the very post YOU put up:
"Sohail Mohammed specialized in immigration law with a practice in Clifton.  He was involved in training “over 7,000 members of the law enforcement community about islamic Cultural and Religious Practices.”  As a lawyer he represented dozens of detainees swept up by law enforcement after the 9/11 attacks in 2001 and mohammad Qatanani, a Paterson imam who in 2008 fended off charges by the Department of Homeland Security that he had ties to Hamas.  Mohammed publicly defended Palestinian islamic jihad operative Sami Al-Arian following a 2003 indictment which alleged he was a North American leader of the Palestinian islamic jihad and the Fort Dix Six in 2007.  He is a founder and board member of the American Muslim Union.[1][3][4]"

This doesn't sound to me like someone who prefers "American" (Judeo-Christian) culture to his own.

He has purposely made a point of DEFENDING islamic extremists.
No, he may not wear an "explosive vest", but he certainly seems interested in supporting those who DO.

That says enough about him, as far as I'm concerned.

Christie picked this guy?
That says a lot about HIM, as well.

I said it above, and will state it again:
The governor can appoint whomever he chooses.
But such appointments (like elections) have consequences.

The consequence of that pick, for me, is very personal.
Mr. Christie will NOT be getting my vote.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:24:14 pm by Fishrrman »

Online mountaineer

Overmoderation has killed many a good board.
So has stupidity. Ball's in your court.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org