Author Topic: Startling Rift on Supreme Court Springs From Error by Kagan On Text of Obamacare Law By BETSY McCAUGHEY  (Read 1135 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nysun.com/national/startling-rift-on-supreme-court-brsprings-from/88646/

Startling Rift on Supreme Court
Springs From Error by Kagan
On Text of Obamacare Law

By BETSY McCAUGHEY, Special to the Sun | March 29, 2014

A startling rift appeared Tuesday on the Supreme Court as the three female Justices came out swinging like Brunnhildes — women warriors — for what they erroneously labeled an “entitlement” to employer-provided contraceptives and morning-after pills.

The Justices were hearing oral arguments in Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., a case hyped by the Democratic Party as a test for women’s rights. Justices Kagan, Ginsberg, and Sotomayor sprang on Hobby Lobby’s attorney , interrupting his every sentence and pummeling him with questions taken right out of the Democratic Party’s “war on women” playbook.

That playbook was laid out in a brief that had been filed by 19 senators and 91 members of the House, all Democrats , supporting the Obama administration’s legal war against Hobby Lobby, a chain of craft stores that provides health insurance to all employees but refuses to cover morning-after pills such as Plan B and Ella. The owners, the Green family, try to run their business according to Biblical principles, including closing on Sunday, foregoing hauling beer even when their trucks have to run empty, and not providing abortion drugs.

Senator Murray claimed that “What’s at stake in this case before the Supreme Court is whether a CEO’s personal beliefs can trump a woman’s access to free or low-cost contraception under the Affordable Care Act.”

Nonsense. Not one word in the Affordable Care Act guarantees health plans will cover birth control products. There is no right. President Obama and his Secretary of Health and Human Services added that requirement by regulation. Women have a constitutionally protected right to use birth control, but nothing guarantees that they can get it from an employer.

It was shocking to hear Justice Kagan make the same spurious claim — that women are entitled to employer provided contraceptives — during oral argument: “Congress has made a judgment and Congress has given a statutory entitlement and that entitlement is to women and includes contraceptive coverage.” Wrong, Justice Kagan. Did you also forego reading the law, like most members of Congress?

The distinction between a regulation and a law is no small matter. As Hobby Lobby’s lawyer stressed in his closing statement, a statute, in this case Congress’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act, trumps a regulation.

Congress passed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act in 1993 expressly to shield believers such as the Green family from any government requirements that would impinge on their ability to practice their faith.

Justice Kagan showed little patience for that concept, and asked whether a victory for Hobby Lobby would invite employers to object to other treatments, such as blood transfusions and vaccines.

“So one religious group could opt of out this and another religious group could opt out of that and everything would be piecemeal and nothing would be uniform.” Correct, Justice Kagan. Her vision of a uniform society where all are forced to put aside their diverse beliefs and march in lockstep with the government’s mandates, sucked the oxygen out of the courtroom.

What a contrast to the six male Justices, who, despite their ideological differences, searched for a way to accommodate the administration’s goal without injuring the Greens and other employers spiritually opposed to abortion drugs. These justices called attention to the fact that these drugs are not expensive. Perhaps the government could step in and pay for them. Poor women already get help with birth-control products through Medicaid federal community health plans and Planned Parenthood.

Justice Kennedy, often regarded as the Court’s swing vote, asked the Obama administration’s lawyer: “Under your view, a profit corporation could be forced in principle … to pay for abortions?” The lawyer replied, “but there is no law like that on the books.” Justice Roberts shot back, “Isn’t that what we are talking about …?”

Later, Justices Samuel Alito and Stephen Breyer asked what would happen if Congress passed a law similar to a recent Danish enactment that bars slaughtering animals while they are conscious. Would for-profit butcher shops run by Jews or Muslims be allowed exemptions? The three women justices were disinclined to exempt for-profit companies. Not so, the six men.

Look for a likely 6-3 ruling that if you like your god, you can keep your god, even if you also have to make a living.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Look for a likely 6-3 ruling that if you like your god, you can keep your god, even if you also have to make a living.

Thank God.

Kagan and Sotomayer are partisan hacks. I think Ruthie Ginsberg is prettier than they are and less partisan. Now that is scary!  ^-^
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline happyg

Thank God.

Kagan and Sotomayer are partisan hacks. I think Ruthie Ginsberg is prettier than they are and less partisan. Now that is scary!  ^-^

:silly: C'mon, Gazoo, I'm trying to be serious!  :laugh: Kagan and Sotomayor are liberal fools who are there to add to Obama's supply of communists. They are not there to uphold the Constitution, but to help destroy it. And yes, Ginsberg is more attractive than the other two hags!  :whistle:

Offline rustynail

as the three female Justices came out swinging like Brunnhildes — women warriors

They reminded me of the witches in Macbeth Act 4, scene 1.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
:silly: C'mon, Gazoo, I'm trying to be serious!  :laugh: Kagan and Sotomayor are liberal fools who are there to add to Obama's supply of communists. They are not there to uphold the Constitution, but to help destroy it. And yes, Ginsberg is more attractive than the other two hags!  :whistle:

Ruthie is a commie too she just doesn't show it as well she is old witchy poo school commie.

In this picture they are all fugly...

This one Ruthie wins the prettiest broom riding for the day. Even though it looks like she has a stick up her butt.

"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Ruthie is a commie too she just doesn't show it as well she is old witchy poo school commie.

In this picture they are all fugly...

This one Ruthie wins the prettiest broom riding for the day. Even though it looks like she has a stick up her butt.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Three is not a majority, and this troika has everything needed to scare even Anthony Kennedy into voting them down resoundingly.

On a related note...there is an active movement on right now to get Ruth Bader Ginsburg to retire this year to ensure a Democrat President appoints her relief.  The Dhimmies know full well that another radical Obama appointee to SCOTUS has no chance after these mid-terms, so they want Ruth to step down this summer and let Obama pick her relief.

Any ideas on who he might send up next??  Who will be Obama's Harriet Myers??

:pondering:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
In a related note...there is an active movement on right now to get Ruth Bader Ginsburg to retire this year to ensure a Democrat President appoints her relief.  The Dhimmies know full well that another radical Obama appointee to SCOTUS has no chance after these mid-terms, so they want Ruth to step down this summer and let Obama pick her relief.

Any ideas on who he might send up next??  Who will be Obama's Harriet Myers??

:pondering:

Eric Holder. No brainer. Which is a fair assessment of his legal acumen too.

Though there were rumors before the 2012 election that she is hanging on hard to prevent that happening. She's pretty left, but I can see old style Liberal in a lot of her decisions - not the Progressive pap Obama puts out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:56:43 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Eric Holder. No brainer. Which is a fair assessment of his legal acumen too.

Though there were rumors before the 2012 election that she is hanging on hard to prevent that happening. She's pretty left, but I can see old style Liberal in a lot of her decisions - not the Progressive pap Obama puts out.

Fro whatever it's worth, I think you are directly on target and I don't think this "movement" to get Ruthie to retire is coming from anyplace other than the Whitehouse.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Fro whatever it's worth, I think you are directly on target and I don't think this "movement" to get Ruthie to retire is coming from anyplace other than the Whitehouse.

Valerie, maybe? Bumping Holder to the SC would bury all sorts of inconvenient things forever, yet I don't think the Worm is capable of that sort of depth of thought. He sucks at tactics.

I wish Justice Ginsberg good health until January, 2017.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Valerie, maybe? Bumping Holder to the SC would bury all sorts of inconvenient things forever, yet I don't think the Worm is capable of that sort of depth of thought. He sucks at tactics.

I wish Justice Ginsberg good health until January, 2017.

He doesn't need to be able to think in depth! Others can and will gladly do that for him if he can get on the bench!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
You just made me snort tea. Hot tea.

Ever watched Holder speak? Now thing of Westworld and try not to laugh.