Author Topic: Poll: Paul, Huckabee lead 2016 GOP pack  (Read 884 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Poll: Paul, Huckabee lead 2016 GOP pack
« on: March 29, 2014, 06:42:15 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/202105-poll-paul-huckabee-lead-2016-pack

March 29, 2014, 02:09 pm
Poll: Paul, Huckabee lead 2016 GOP pack

By Justin Sink

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee lead the likely Republican field for the 2016 presidential nomination, according to a new poll released Saturday.

Huckabee and Paul each drew 13 percent of the poll's respondents, published by WPA Opinion Research. Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush was the only other Republican to garner double digit support, pulling in 11 percent.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) rounded out the top five, each pulling in 9 percent. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.), who was the party’s vice presidential nominee in 2012, was the choice of 6 percent of respondents, tying with Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.).

"The important thing at this point of the race is staying in the conversation, and the fact that Rand Paul, Huckabee, Bush, Christie and Cruz are all managing to do that bodes well for them long term,” said WPA Research CEO Chris Wilson in a statement.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wisc.), who spent Saturday appearing before a Republican Jewish Coalition meeting in Las Vegas, was the choice of 5 percent of those surveyed. Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and former Sen. Rick Santorum each earned 3 percent, and Texas Gov. Rick Perry rounded out the field with just 1 percent. Of the Republican voters surveyed, nearly two in 10 said they did not have a preference on who would became the GOP's 2016 pick.

Christie, a relative moderate in the group, appeared to be buoyed by Republican voters’ belief he had the best chance to win a general election. Asked who would be able to defeat former secretary of state Hillary Clinton — the heavy favorite for the Democratic nominee, should she decide to run — 13 percent selected both Christie and Paul.

"Christie is clearly not the first choice among GOP voters overall, but when you look at which candidate Republicans believe can beat Hillary Clinton there is evidence that the theory a moderate Republican can beat a liberal Democrat still holds some sway," Wilson said.

The survey also showed that Paul appeared to be earning support from primary voters who had spurned the campaigns of his father, former Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas).

“While young voters are his best group, Paul also manages to pull in support from other age groups as well,” Wilson said. “He wins 16 percent of the 65-74 age group. Given that Christie support is driven from the moderate side of the party, his best move may be to move the conversation away from ideology to the idea that he is best positioned to beat Hillary."

On Thursday, the Washington Post reported that Paul was assembling a 50-state support team to assist a possible presidential bid. The Kentucky Republican was also the winner of the CPAC straw poll earlier this month.

But other candidates have also been laying the groundwork for a possible bid. On Wednesday, the Associated Press reported that Huckabee met with dozens of House Republicans at the Republican National Committee headquarter to discuss a bid.

Christie, meanwhile, has undertaken a media blitz following the release of an internal report about the controversy surrounding the closure of lanes on the George Washington Memorial Bridge. Documents suggest that Christie aides ordered the closure as an act of political retaliation.

Bush, meanwhile, also appeared at the Republican Jewish Coalition conference in Las Vegas.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Re: Poll: Paul, Huckabee lead 2016 GOP pack
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 06:55:40 pm »
Huckabee has said a lot of things on his show over the years. You can bet the democrats will nitpick at a lot of them.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:25:19 pm »
Huckabee has said a lot of things on his show over the years. You can bet the democrats will nitpick at a lot of them.
I do NOT agree with much of the social conservative stuff from the likes of Huckabee, but he is one smooth talker. He can discuss a wide range of topics off the cuff, due to his preacher and television personality experience and his natural aptitude, which probably pulled him in those directions.

If it meant winning, I could easily support Huckabee on a ticket, preferably not on the top. Paul-Huckabee, or Walker-Huckabee.

These forums tend to attract the extremes, so Cruz gets more praise than he gets national support.

But I also like the idea of an Hispanic on the ticket. Cruz, Rubio, Martinez of Sandoval.

Finally I like successful governors which argues for Perry or Walker etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 07:57:01 pm »
This is anyone's race.  The quality of potential candidates seems far superior than in 2008 and in 2012.  I am looking forward to the debates.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 08:19:11 pm »
This is anyone's race.  The quality of potential candidates seems far superior than in 2008 and in 2012.  I am looking forward to the debates.
It would be nice to vote some of them off the island, before the start.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Olivia

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 08:22:59 pm »
Huckabee?  Seriously?   :banghead:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:46:26 pm »
I do NOT agree with much of the social conservative stuff from the likes of Huckabee, but he is one smooth talker. He can discuss a wide range of topics off the cuff, due to his preacher and television personality experience and his natural aptitude, which probably pulled him in those directions.

If it meant winning, I could easily support Huckabee on a ticket, preferably not on the top. Paul-Huckabee, or Walker-Huckabee.

These forums tend to attract the extremes, so Cruz gets more praise than he gets national support.

But I also like the idea of an Hispanic on the ticket. Cruz, Rubio, Martinez of Sandoval.

Finally I like successful governors which argues for Perry or Walker etc.

After it is all said and done I will vote for Barney Rubble on the ticket over Clinton. I think the media and republicans have defined Cruz as extreme.

I fear that the Rand Paul or no one else libertarians and the Iowa Huckabee or no one else folks- will cancel each others vote out as they stay home. Much like the Palin or nobody- I won't hold my nose again crowd. Huckabee is a social/fiscal conservative moderate. Maybe this is where his appeal is? He does not get me fired-up but maybe this is why he fired up some people?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 08:50:18 pm »

Agreed.