Author Topic: Can Rick Perry Get A Second Chance With GOP Voters In 2016  (Read 740 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Can Rick Perry Get A Second Chance With GOP Voters In 2016
« on: March 29, 2014, 03:36:00 pm »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/29/can-rick-perry-get-a-second-chance-with-gop-voters-in-2016.html

Can Rick Perry Get A Second Chance With GOP Voters In 2016
Myra Adams

After a disastrous presidential campaign in 2012, can Texas Governor Rick Perry mount a credible bid for the White House in 2016?

Texas Governor Rick Perry is currently on a media tour touting the theme that America is a great place for second chances, specifically second chances for Texas governors with national ambitions.

Perry is trying to erase the memory of his disastrous 2012 GOP presidential campaign which included “brain-farts” and “oops” debate moments with his folksy, charming, and uniquely American manner.

Curious about Perry’s comeback strategy, I asked Texan and GOP presidential media guru, Mark McKinnon and he said, “His second act is looking really good. He just needed a little humbling.”

Let’s explore this concept a little further.

Up until his ill-fated Republican presidential primary run, Perry had never lost an election in his entire life.

Perry, who succeeded George W. Bush as the Lone Star State’s governor in 2000 after Bush’s election to the presidency, has won three gubernatorial elections in a row and a grand total of six statewide races in Texas.

In fact, Perry, who is not seeking re-election this year, will be the longest serving governor in Texas history when he leaves office in 2015.

He is poised for 2016 as a politically battle-hardened governor of a powerful state who, on paper is eminently qualified to be President of the United States.

Of all the governors with presidential ambitions, Perry is among the most active and vocal proponents of the Republican philosophy of smaller government and less regulation. Perry claims his governing philosophy has resulted in Texas leading the way in economic growth and job creation. The Lone Star State is currently the fastest- growing large state in the United States and Austin, Dallas and Houston are three of the nation’s top five fastest-growing cities.

Texas is booming and Perry takes much personal credit for that, but he still has two major problems. First, the Texas governor will have to explain away the manifold gaffes and failures from his last presidential campaign.

Perry’s explanation is a good one. It has been well-documented that Perry was recovering from experimental back surgery involving his own adult stem cells only six-weeks before making his official presidential announcement at the conservative RedState Gathering on August 14, 2011. Then, throughout his campaign, he was taking painkillers, not sleeping and having trouble standing due to chronic pain.

Second, Perry has to cope with the lingering shadow of his predecessor in the Texas governor’s mansion, George W. Bush. The comparison to the still unpopular 43rd president reinforces Perry’s poor 2011 primary performance. As a result, it is almost too easy for Democrats and some unfriendly media outlets to brand Perry as another dumb Texas good-ole-boy and for Americans to believe it. All that is needed is a re-play of Perry’s most painful debate moments and “mission accomplished.”

But if there is any way American voters could disregard these factors, here is why Perry deserves a second chance as illustrated in this often asked Gallup poll question: “What do you think is the most important problem facing the country today?” Among the top three answers were unemployment/jobs and the economy in general, both areas where Perry has built a strong record in Texas and makes very compelling arguments about his ability to nationalize them in his stump speech.

If Perry does decide to run again, are Americans willing to give Rick Perry his second chance after he was so thoroughly humbled in 2011? Don’t forget, being knocked down and then forging ahead are strong personality traits that most Americans admire. But on the flip side, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Can Rick Perry Get A Second Chance With GOP Voters In 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 04:00:31 pm »
I just don't see a natural constituency out there for Perry.  Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are sucking up all the oxygen from the anti-establishment crowd, and Perry just doesn't have the pedigree to attract establishment money.  He can't get there from here, as far as I can tell.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »
Wish I could disagree with your assessment, but I can't. Cruz is going to have a problem, one which has been steadily building since he started getting national attention. He's inexperienced. Every single news story about him somehow manages to ram the word "freshman" into the first couple of lines, and that sticks after a while.

I like Perry, a lot. If he runs I'll work his campaign again (you'd be amazed at how much more responsive to calls people are if you have an English accent!), he'd make a damned fine president.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 04:58:20 pm »
Perry should have a natural constituency with serious minded GOP voters, based on his record.

It is a long time yet to go. He ranks near the top with me.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 06:13:32 pm »
I just don't see a natural constituency out there for Perry.  Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are sucking up all the oxygen from the anti-establishment crowd, and Perry just doesn't have the pedigree to attract establishment money.  He can't get there from here, as far as I can tell.

I respectfully disagree!

Rick Perry has the distinction of having actually ran something and the two you mention, both great men in my book, are lacking in that regard.  That should be a BIG factor in 2016 given recent experience.

IF Rick Perry decides to run again I hope he will hire some people to help him that know what they are doing on the NATIONAL stage vs the clowns he used the last time.  Even then I would hope he would have the confidence to override their advice when necessary and stick to the stuff he knows and truly believes in. If he does that I think he will do just fine!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 07:36:21 pm »
I respectfully disagree!

Rick Perry has the distinction of having actually ran something and the two you mention, both great men in my book, are lacking in that regard.  That should be a BIG factor in 2016 given recent experience.

IF Rick Perry decides to run again I hope he will hire some people to help him that know what they are doing on the NATIONAL stage vs the clowns he used the last time.  Even then I would hope he would have the confidence to override their advice when necessary and stick to the stuff he knows and truly believes in. If he does that I think he will do just fine!

I hope you are right.  I could easily support him, as I did last time.  At this point, he'd be my second choice after Paul.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 07:53:53 pm »
I don't see how Perry can overcome his abysmal performance in 2012.  His debate debacles are still fresh in many minds.  He doesn't seem to be able to think on his feet.  And, his comment that if you are against amnesty "you don't have a heart" will not endear himself to Conservatives.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 08:03:42 pm »
I don't see how Perry can overcome his abysmal performance in 2012.  His debate debacles are still fresh in many minds.  He doesn't seem to be able to think on his feet.  And, his comment that if you are against amnesty "you don't have a heart" will not endear himself to Conservatives.

If he comes out hard in the debates, memory of 2012 will fade. To be fair, he was hurting all the time and on pain killers. Being forced to stand during the debates must have been total agony.

Amnesty - it's off the table. By Nov '16, it'll be a done deal, one way or another.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 08:51:30 pm »
Perry should have a natural constituency with serious minded GOP voters, based on his record.

It is a long time yet to go. He ranks near the top with me.

Top three for me.

Offline collins

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 11:03:39 pm »
I don't think he'll make it, but I wish he would. He said that about in-state tuiton, not amnesty and the American populace has the attention span of a gnat. Perry would be a lot better than Christie or Jeb, the two contenders I dread winning.