Author Topic: Teacher bullied and intimidated for opposing Common Core  (Read 280 times)

rangerrebew

Teacher bullied and intimidated for opposing Common Core
« on: March 29, 2014, 03:22:48 pm »
Teacher Bullied and Intimidated for Opposing Common Core

By Onan Coca   / 28 March 2014   / 194 Comments   

Susan Kimball, a kindergarten teacher of 20 years in the Sikeston Missouri Public School District, gave emotional testimony before the Missouri Senate Education Committee this week that she had been bullied and intimidated once her colleagues learned that she believed Common Core would be bad for her students.

Persecution for political beliefs is becoming commonplace among those of us who oppose the massive expansion of federal government control of healthcare, education, and our personal lives.

The Education Committee is considering a bill that would prohibit Missouri from implementing Common Core in their schools.

commoncore9“I have been strongly discouraged from saying anything negative about Common Core by my administration and some school board members,” Kimball said, her voice shaking.

Kimball described different instances where she, and others, were warned about speaking out.

“In a professional development meeting, um, inservice in November, and at a faculty meeting in January, we were told in my building, and I quote, ‘Be careful about what you post on Facebook, or talk about in the public regarding Common Core.  Don’t say anything negative.  It could affect your job.’”

Despite others being intimidated into silence, Kimball continued to speak out.

“When I turned in a personal day request to come support the rally for House Bill 1490, I was asked by my principal, ‘Do you really want that in your personnel file?’ And then I was bullied and ostracized by my administration, a few other teachers and the president of the school board.  And that continues today,” Kimball said.

“It’s the reason I’ve been so nervous.  It’s so hard for me to speak.  Because you have no idea what I have been through over the past six weeks because of my stand,” Kimball said. “And the reason I took this stand is because it was right for my kids.  They’re my main priority.”

Read more at http://eaglerising.com/5373/teacher-bullied-intimidated-opposing-common-core/#zpZVzQu6Bu8Wv3wE.99
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:23:04 pm by rangerrebew »