Author Topic: Chernobyl Study: 30 Years After Blast, Trees Are Barely Decomposed  (Read 467 times)

Offline Oceander

• Technical

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Chernobyl Study: 30 Years After Blast, Trees Are Barely Decomposed
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 03:23:47 AM »
Let me see.

Radiation kills living organisms (except cockroaches)
Living organisms eat dead ones, causing decay.
Without living organisms, the only decay is weathering.
Weathering is really slow. The pyramids are still there, and they get sandblasted every so often.

Grant money please?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 04:59:38 AM »
Let me see.

Radiation kills living organisms (except cockroaches)
Living organisms eat dead ones, causing decay.
Without living organisms, the only decay is weathering.
Weathering is really slow. The pyramids are still there, and they get sandblasted every so often.

Grant money please?

Its a legitimate study especially trees being exposed for long term radiation. They also want to know whether a forest fire will release radiation into the atmosphere. At Bikini Atoll and at Christmas Island  there are trees that are constantly monitored for radiation by the DOE

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/apr/26/chernobyl-radioactive-fires-global-danger
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:07:52 AM by SPQR »

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
  • �It�s easier to fool people than to convince them
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 09:23:43 AM »
The trees have a nice "glow" though. :silly:
"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." — Abraham Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:27:24 AM »
The trees have a nice "glow" though. :silly:
No Christmas lights needed.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »
Radiation produces botox in trees? Nancy Pelosi and Lurch may now pull out all the stops to save Ukraine from the Russkies.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »
Its a legitimate study especially trees being exposed for long term radiation. They also want to know whether a forest fire will release radiation into the atmosphere. At Bikini Atoll and at Christmas Island  there are trees that are constantly monitored for radiation by the DOE

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/apr/26/chernobyl-radioactive-fires-global-danger

:laugh: I have a dry sense of humor at times.

I'm in favor of blue sky research - there is still so much we simply don't know, and "burn the forest and see" is not a viable option in this study. While it would give answers fast, it is sort of permanent and irreversible.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »
There has been reports of mutant butterflies and other fauna around the Fukushima plant. I know at DOE sites they plant gardens to see if there is any radiation in fruits and vegetables. They also check whether these fruits and vegetables are editable to human beings.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/attack-mutant-butterflies-radiation-fukushima-nuclear-disaster-leading-abnormalities-study-article-1.1136343
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:28:40 AM by SPQR »

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
  • �It�s easier to fool people than to convince them
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 10:28:47 AM »
There has been reports of mutant butterflies and other fauna around the Fukushima plant. I know at DOE sites they plant gardens to see if there is any radiation in fruits and vegetables. They also check whether these fruits and vegetables are editable to human beings.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/attack-mutant-butterflies-radiation-fukushima-nuclear-disaster-leading-abnormalities-study-article-1.1136343

Judging be what I see lately, they must be tested on democratic politicians. :whistle:
"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." — Abraham Lincoln

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf