Author Topic: Ebony Magazine Apologizes for Editor's Twitter Rant  (Read 478 times)

Oceander

Ebony Magazine Apologizes for Editor's Twitter Rant
« on: March 29, 2014, 06:22:25 am »
Ebony Magazine Apologizes for Editor's Twitter Rant

Friday, 28 Mar 2014 11:31 PM

By Cathy Burke

Ebony magazine issued an apology Friday after a senior editor engaged in a nasty Twitter exchange with Republican National Committee staffer Raffi Williams, mistakenly calling him "a white dude" and describing conservatives as "roaches."

Jamilah Lemieux came under attack for the Thursday tweets — and refusal to apologize.

For the Conservative trolls in my mentions, I thought @Raffiwilliams was White because I didn't blow up his avi.  And I apologized.  Go away.
    — Jamilah Lemieux (@JamilahLemieux) March 27, 2014

“Ebony strongly believes in the marketplace of ideas," the legendary magazine said in a statement, The Grio reported.

"As the magazine of record for the African American community, Lemieux’s tweets in question do not represent our journalistic standard, tradition or practice of celebrating diverse black thought."

The exchange began when Lemieux tweeted her disdain over plans for a new publication for black conservatives by The Washington Times and Ben Carson, The Grio reported.

"I 100% do not want to know more, I wish I knew less!"

Lemieux tweeted, prompting Williams to reply:

“…wish you knew less?  hoped you would encourage diversity of thought.”  https://twitter.com/Raffiwilliams

Lemieux shot back:  ”Oh great, here comes a White dude telling me how to do this Black thing.  Pass.”

After learning Williams was black, Lemieux defended herself, tweeting:  "I forgot that tweeting something about a Conservative is like leaving a cookie out in a house full of roaches and turning off the lights."

RNC head Reince Preibus was outraged, writing Ebony's editor-in-chief, “Attacking someone for his or her race, heritage or political views is the very thing Ebony has worked to discourage, and actions like those of Ms. Lemieux are far below the basic standards of journalism."

Oceander

Re: Ebony Magazine Apologizes for Editor's Twitter Rant
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 06:22:48 am »
So now she'll be fired or forced to resign, correct?

Is that crickets I hear?

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:02:43 pm »
I am actually surprised Ebony apologized.  It is disgraceful how black Conservatives are vilified for having the audacity to think for themselves.  They are subject to some of the worst racism displayed in current times.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »
Most blacks living today have known nothing besides increasing affirmative action.

In public life as sports stars, entertainment stars, and political operators they get the favorable treatment, time after time.

They aren't held to account. For example it isn't politically correct to say blacks are stupid for thinking OJ was innocent.

But they are, most whites know it eve if they won't say it.

I think Obama has done the nation a great disservice by not shining the light on his own culture.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln